Instruo: Modules released

It is entirely possible that the explanation is multi factorial :wink:

1 Like

I just hope they update the existing modules to V2 and maybe finish those first. There was no update since the inital release and a lot of functions are still missing (talking “Presets include menu-options” or “programmable chords on harmonaig”).

I’ve heard somewhere that the VCV versions where done by interns who finished their studies since, but since they are gone there weren’t any updates. Don’t quote me on that though, i’m pretty sure i saw that on discord, but there was no source if i remember

TLDR: “Murdo and Finn”, part of their master program, but joined the team (still there? I don’t know), but Jason built at least vcv-harmonaig himself.

1 Like

Any news on V2?

1 Like

Jason said they will be ported to V2 when he can find the time but he has other priorities with his hardware right now.

2 Likes

Jason from Instruo in this new DivKid video

2 Likes

And Santa has come early, they’re back in V2. :star_struck:

8 Likes

Yay, 38 minutes ago :slight_smile:

And now includes Neoni:

Omri about to go live with it:

5 Likes

Hope that patch is on his patreon, I really like the way that arp at the end of the video comes in bursts.

Yeah. But “Modal Selection” is not saved in preset is still not fixed in harmonaig. Back to writing e-mails…

The neóni TZ FM behaves kinda weird, you can see it at 4:20 in Omri’s video.

I would expect it to keep its own perceived pitch, but instead it seems to follow the pitch of the FM input.

Is this how the hardware works? What’s going on here and how is this even possible?

I haven’t had a chance to try it yet. But I did read over the hardware manual on line, and they talk about different patch configurations, one of which that follows the pitch of the FM modulator, and another where the FM preserves pitch but alters texture

Yes, that is how TZ LFM works. The roles between carrier/modulator are reversed where pitch-control is concerned:

• Traditional FM: Carrier determines pitch, but it’s kinda messy etc…
  • Through-zero Linear FM: Modulator determines pitch alone and the mess is gone.

I’ll refer to Jason of Instruo’s brilliant demonstration and explanation of it, starting right here: https://youtu.be/kkAagua3NN4?t=4361

That’s just the place where he demonstrates the role-reversal where pitch-control in TZLFM is concerned. I highly recommend watching the entire video, where he demonstrates the different types of FM in depth, including how pitch-control works. It’s the most educational demonstration I’ve ever seen and he explains and demonstrates it far better than I ever could: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkAagua3NN4

Interesting to note as well, that for pure TZLFM you need complete DC-blocking/AC-coupling in place, otherwise it won’t work as expected :slight_smile: (just another stab/advert for DC-blocking everywhere at audio rate).

The bottom line for me, where TZLFM is concerned is this:

• For all manner of sound effects, percussion, R2D2 sounds and the likes, traditional exponential and linear FM is great.
  • For musical, tonal playing, with clean pitch, dialing in all those musical timbres, TZLFM is by far the best, and that’s the selling point of Neoni.
7 Likes

Ok, thanks, interesting.

I have to check out what is going on there, because this is not how I understood TZ-FM, and how it is implemented elsewhere. In Reaktor Blocks Bento Box VCO for example it works how I would have expected it, and I thought Bogaudio VCO also does TZ-FM how I expected it.

I still have to understand this phenomenon, but this means everything is fine with the module, thought it might be a bug.

I think much of the confusion stems from phase modulation being called FM by the industry. Most TZ-FM (at least in the digital world) is actually phase modulation. I know for sure that the Bogaudio VCO uses phase modulation for linear FM, not true frequency modulation.

3 Likes

I’m with you. I haven’t watched the Instruo video but as I understand it, TZ linear FM is just linear FM that goes TZ… so in the part of the range before it approaches zero (ie relatively small amounts of FM), it should be no different from regular linear FM - I don’t see why the pitch control should swap from carrier to modulator. Might this be being confused with Sync? If you are FMing and you sync the carrier to modulator then pitch control does indeed move to the modulator.

Omri made a good video about how TZFM works.

and this (hardware) video by Nektarios talks about FMing with sync and how the pitch control gets transferred to the modulator.

1 Like

All I can say is: Watch the video and all shall become clear. Really…

Exactly! Most of us use PM, including the dx7. PM doesnt have the dc problem. The new fundamental is fm. I wrote this all up, need to publish it.

2 Likes

yes. and code a module. just as a demonstration, of course :innocent:

1 Like