Instruo: Modules released

Where is Arbhar?

IIRC Jason said that Arbhar and Lubadh would not be ported due to high CPU requirements.

The real reason is more likely that they consider those modules very high value products and didn’t want to make those available for free.

Seems more plausible. Too much cpu for what? A current intel cpu must have a lot more mips than whatever is in their module.

1 Like

“The Arbhar and Lúbadh are very different animals in comparison to the rest of the range. I have spotted some comments speculating as to why they aren’t there, especially being digital in nature themselves. They are indeed digital, but porting would be far from simple. Both modules run on quad core arm processors. They actually use the Raspberry pi CM3+ embedded platform. These things are a force of power! 1.2GHz quad core with a gig of RAM. There is a lot of stuff going on under the hood on both Arbhar and Lúbadh. I am skeptical as to how efficiently any form of port would run as a module within VCV rack. Not without a considerable rewrite of the fundamental granular and looping engines would it be possible.” https://disquiet.com/2021/01/09/instruo-vcv-rack-jason-lim/

2 Likes

ah, ok. I take it back. :wink:

I am still a bit skeptical. For example Arbhar seems a pretty straightforward granular sampler. The manual mentions it has a polyphony of 44 grains, which doesn’t seem an awful lot to deal with. It of course depends on what kind of processing exactly is done on the grains how much CPU that will use. Perhaps they really need to use all the 4 ARM cores in the module to handle that and that might translate to a pretty hefty CPU use on Intels too. (I might need to get back to working on my own granular sampler Rack module, and see about the CPU use… :wink: )

It is entirely possible that the explanation is multi factorial :wink:

1 Like

I just hope they update the existing modules to V2 and maybe finish those first. There was no update since the inital release and a lot of functions are still missing (talking “Presets include menu-options” or “programmable chords on harmonaig”).

I’ve heard somewhere that the VCV versions where done by interns who finished their studies since, but since they are gone there weren’t any updates. Don’t quote me on that though, i’m pretty sure i saw that on discord, but there was no source if i remember

TLDR: “Murdo and Finn”, part of their master program, but joined the team (still there? I don’t know), but Jason built at least vcv-harmonaig himself.

1 Like

Any news on V2?

1 Like

Jason said they will be ported to V2 when he can find the time but he has other priorities with his hardware right now.

2 Likes

Jason from Instruo in this new DivKid video

2 Likes

And Santa has come early, they’re back in V2. :star_struck:

8 Likes

Yay, 38 minutes ago :slight_smile:

And now includes Neoni:

Omri about to go live with it:

5 Likes

Hope that patch is on his patreon, I really like the way that arp at the end of the video comes in bursts.

Yeah. But “Modal Selection” is not saved in preset is still not fixed in harmonaig. Back to writing e-mails…

The neóni TZ FM behaves kinda weird, you can see it at 4:20 in Omri’s video.

I would expect it to keep its own perceived pitch, but instead it seems to follow the pitch of the FM input.

Is this how the hardware works? What’s going on here and how is this even possible?

I haven’t had a chance to try it yet. But I did read over the hardware manual on line, and they talk about different patch configurations, one of which that follows the pitch of the FM modulator, and another where the FM preserves pitch but alters texture