I have an idea for a NFT format for vcv but im a musician, not a programmer. Need some help!!

Like any other asset, the price for an NFT is totally prone to manipulation.
How? Here is what happening, 2 people (friends or whatever) mint an NFT from something they create, or buy an NFT for cheap.

Then 1 of these people, buys the others person NFT for a ridiculous amount of money.
Which after the other person buys an NFT from the 1st person for that exact same amount of money.
They both loose 0 money, but instantly their NFT’s have a ridiculous value, based on… nothing. And those NFT’s go for that value on to the open market.

It is called NFT “flipping”, and flipping is not new.
So it is rabbit-hole with a lot of in and outs.

Another thing to take into consideration, is as pointed out earlier, licensing of VCV and modules. And getting a patch to play and sound exact as its creator intended, which not always happens, as i experience from opening older patches, they sometimes break, or simply don’t play as they played first.

more on flipping here:

1 Like

hi, I had the same idea some time ago here Module ideas - #188 by ale47p

I remember that someone replied to me, saying that the headless version of vcv rack 2 probably would be able to do it…check it out! :broccoli:

Not a fan of crypto, but own some.

Quote from guy that created dogecoin.

After years of studying it, I believe that cryptocurrency is an inherently right-wing, hyper-capitalistic technology built primarily to amplify the wealth of its proponents through a combination of tax avoidance, diminished regulatory oversight and artificially enforced scarcity.

Not a fan of NFT.

source

In 1962, the French neo-avant-garde artist Yves Klein began dealing in what he declared to be Zones of Immaterial Pictorial Sensibility. In exchange for a sum of solid gold, Klein would imbue a patch of thin air with his artistic aura and provide a receipt. One such “zone” was bequeathed to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art where it exists only as a photograph of the transaction, taken as the receipt was set ablaze and half the gold tossed into the Seine.

4 Likes

On the limited technical question, yeah, headless mode (coming in V2) would work. It would also be extremely easy to compile a version of V1 that had all the interface interactions disabled except for pan, zoom, and selecting an audio driver on an Audio module that had been already added. This could then get packed in a single self-extracting-and-executing file for something like a watch-and-listen-only patch.

On NFTs, not gonna comment except to excerpt this:

4 Likes

you the man!

1 Like

So, what you are talking about is a musical version of NFTs. It sounds interesting, even though I cannot imagine it working. But to be honest, I don’t understand NFTs till the end either, so it’s fine. I have never been into cryptos or trading because it takes so much time and is rather risky. I prefer making music, and it also brings me the amount of money that’s fine for me. I tried trading to see what it actually is. I googled how to open a real account on metatrader 4 and created it. Then I invested some $50 in a growing asset or something and managed to make another $25. But then it all dropped, and I lost $30. And I decided it was too volatile for me.

No. VCV is a music tool, not a marketplace for environment destroying memecoins. I am so extraordinarily tired of the waste of electricity and money that is NFTs being permeated into every digital platform. I’m suprised FL Studio doesn’t have an NFT collection. Please, for the love of Moog, keep this out of Rack.

17 Likes

Thank you !!!

:joy:

I think the proper way to do this is to do what Wu-Tang did. Record an album, produce only one physical copy and don’t leak any digital. Sell that single copy for $1,000,000. Of course, as noted above, you can’t be Joe Schmo to pull this off, you already have to be Wu-Tang.

JMJ did similar with Music For Supermarkets long before NFTs, sold just one copy on vinyl.

My band did very similar, though we made 500 copies of our mini album on vinyl and sold about 10. And not because we wanted to. :slight_smile:

5 Likes