How to do my first Synth

Dear Community, I have a silly stupid beginner Question. How can a Generate my first silly simple Synth in VCV I need only a Sinusoidal Generator connected with the Audio Output, I have read the Manual, but this Simple Task there was never explained. I have connected a VCO Element with a Audio Element. I have started my Jack Audio System. And there I have fond a PulseAudio Jack Sink. So I wish to hear any Sound but I not get any Sounding. Please can anybody explain this Silly Easy Task. Or have anybody a Tutorial where this Silly thing is Explained.

In hope of any HelP

CreCoProject Thomas Lahme

Maybe this tut helps:

Ok, I’m too stupid: I heave seen the Video and I have seen lots of nice Software. But I don’t have understand in which way I get my Synth working. So I need a little bit more Help. A Help like a What and How to do List

Thanks in advance of any Help

CreCoProject Thomas Lahme

Ok, I have tried to open the Original Start Synth the Software has for Demo. But Even. I see the Sound would come. I see the Sound in the Osciloscpe But I hear nothing. So I think I have missed a Setting in the Configuration. But I donÄt know how to set this Setting-

The most basic patch (I guess that is what you call your “Synth” ?

Rightclick where it says “No device” on the AUDIO module. chose either ALSA or JACK

… you chose “Jack.” Then you need to connect the audio out from the VCV program to the audio hardware out port in Jack,
I have used QJackCTL for this, another option is Catia. Perhaps you need to use the Pipewire manager (Qpwgraph or Helvum maybe) if you’re on a newer distrubution that uses Pipewire.

It would help to know exactly what linux distribution you are using. But others have to jump in, I don’t have a running linux at the moment.

1 Like

Ok, that I understand But when I right click on the Audio Module. There is no No Device Entry So can you explain it a little bit more

Sorry, I can’t help - I’m on windows right now.

But somehow you have to chose “Jack” as driver, and the particular Device you want VCV to send the audio to. Maybe the jack patchbay isnt needed afterall.

This is what VCV has to say about it. Core Modules - VCV Rack Manual

Sorry if I confused you more.

@David made a guide earlier, maybe you can use it:

Hi there…

Welcome to the wonderful world of Modular Synthesis…

I am assuming you have (very) little knowledge and experience with synthesizers, synthesis techniques and modular synthesis/synthesizers in particular.

Modular synthesis is a huge subject with many, many aspects. More then enough to keep anyone learning and exploring for a lifetime.

But the basic concepts are, wel…pretty basic. Since stuff is broken down into basic processes/components, that you can (re)combine in (almost) any way you can think of, it’s mighty flexible. But, with flexibility comes complexity. But…you can avoid all the complexity by starting with some basic concepts / patches.

Maybe start with some of the excellent step-by-step tutorials by @Omri_Cohen on youtube.

Some of his older videos are made with/for VCV Rack v1.x, before the current VCV Rack 2.x existed. Some include hardware. But the concepts generally translate to any modular environment.

Maybe start with a basic introduction?

The Basics of Modular with VCV 2

1 Like

Excuse me but I have done a lot of Work with SuperCollider and CSound. And it would bee no Problem to Express my Ideas in VCV Patches. But I think I have a Problem with the right Seetings to Connect VCV over my QJackCtrl to the Speakers of my Laptop under Linux ( Ubuntu Studio ). So I need only help to start with the right Seetings

is jack running ?

ps aux | grep jackd

if not, are there any errors shown, when you try to start it again using QJackCtl ?

also, what playback devices are available to alsa ?

aplay -l

Jack is truly running. But I have no Channel from VCV in Jacks Audio Connections

But you did set up an audio module in VCV like this ?

from the quide i linked to earlier by @David

Ah, my bad. My assumptions were wrong. Looks like you have plenty knowledge and experience, but applied in other environments, and that it’s not the patching that is the issue, but the setting up of your VCV Rack environment. Alas, I’m on Windows…and can’t help you with a Linux setup. But I’m pretty sure there are many others here that can help you on your way.

@ Jens.Peter.Nielsen I have a Problem to see your Graphics. Can you please explain what you mean in Sentences

Thomas Lahme CreCo

start vcv

• right click to get in the module browser find the Audio module and select it, to add it to the active rack. brand=vcv, tag=external

• you can use either module - later you can add multiple audio modules to the patch.

• Click the Audio module

• It shows the driver options (Alsa, Pulseaudio, Jack )

• select (Jack)

• click again and select a device in the list of Jack devices that show up.

• the example shows (System 1-2 in, 1-2 out) highlighted.

This should patch the outputs from VCV to the system outputs (stereo) - If you’re dealing with more advanced audio routings, you have to use the distribution native audio patchbay/manager.

I find no driver Options

AHA :man_detective:

Click on the black area, where it says “No device”. (left click perhaps ?)

1 Like

Ok, I have found I have tried to Change Now Jack are checked The Black area is rather No Device

So In Germany is time for sleep. So I must tried tommorow

you are very close - click that, and it pops up with a list of devices.

sleep well.

@ Jens.Peter.Nielsen Thanks very much that helps me really. Just I hear the Sound Im needed. The Problem is solved. A last Suggestion: Can please anybody write this Task to do in the Documentation under getting Started

a Very happy

Thomas Lahme CreCoProject

3 Likes