How much do you care about patch cable colors?

When building a patch:
  • I always intentionally set the colors of patch cables
  • I occasionally set patch cable colors, or only set colors for a particular type of signal
  • I never ever have cared about what colors the cables are
  • I only build patches that do not use cables at all

0 voters

I do not use any plugin to set the cable colors (mean I don’t care about the color for the signal type), but I change the setup file for a neutral cable palette (black and gray)

do the option one fit to me?

1 Like

I don’t set colors but I might do it if it were easier.

2 Likes

I like having different colors for different signals, and I really got used to cycling the colors until I get the one I want. I also have Stroke in my template set with the numbers 1-4 on my keyboard set to the colors I use so if I want, I can quickly change the colors with my keyboard. I don’t think it’s necessary, and I don’t do this with hardware, but it’s easier to understand what’s going on in a patch, especially when coming back to it.

12 Likes

I like that in the Midilar 3 presentation at the Mycelium Symposium; all the original cables in the patch were white, and the cables created / connected by Midilar were in green. It made it much easier to see what was happening.

1 Like

That’s a super nice trick !

Yeah, it’s working really well.

2 Likes

I am color coding everything as Omri does in his videos but with orange added for the right channel audio since it helps me to see the two seperate. As a noob the colors really help. I also setup stroke so that shift+Q cycles through the colors. So, now I can patch with any color but then correct to the color I want, maybe at a later stage when I have decided to keep something.

What I was thinking recently, but am uncertain about, is doesn’t the voltage type always depend on the input pot? In other words, an FM pot is always taking modulation. V/Oct, v/oct. “ext clk” needs something for bpm. etc.

I was thinking of an idea for a new module that lets you specify cable color by type of input and then just automatically change colors when you connect to that input type.

Is there any input pot that might take more than one type of voltage? I guess modules like attenuators or logic modules, bernoulli gates, etc. but since these are always passing through eventually to something definitive, maybe they could have no affect on color but just inheret color backwards from the input that defines the voltage type and pass that color back to the incoming cable.

EDIT: now it occurs to me what if a bernoulli gate is routing to two different types, option A to a sequencer clk input, option B to modulate panning for example.

1 Like

I never color-coordinate, but I would consider it if I needed to explain the patch to someone else, like if I was doing a YouTube tutorial. It always looks nice when someone does it, but for personal projects I’m too lazy to do it. :joy:

1 Like

Yes, Submarine’s Wire Manager is in my template patch. But I don’t always and neccessarily colour cables in a way that has meaning.

1 Like

Yeah I believe that would count as “intentionally setting colors”. I actually didn’t know it was possible to change the colors that way, thanks for the reply!

I use 13 cable colors (Omri’s :+1: colors “extended”), which are assigned to 13 letter keys by means of “Störmelder STROKE”:

• U Universal (Default) #e6e6e6 (white)
  • A Mono (Audio) #ca1646 (red)
  • M Mid (Audio) #d07711 (orange)
  • S Side (Audio) #d01183 (purple)
  • L Left (Audio) #d5c10b (yellow)
  • R Right (Audio) #d50bd5 (magenta)
  • V V/Oct (Control) #8db30f (lime)
  • T Trigger (Control) #7d10c1 (violet)
  • X Modulate (Control) #109319 (green)
  • G Gate (Control) #1359ae (blue)
  • Y Sync (Control) #0fb382 (aqua)
  • C Clock (Control) #1098c1 (sky)
  • B Bus #0bced5 (cyan)

grafik

settings-v1.json block for setting of default colors:

"cableColors": [
    "#e6e6e6",
    "#ca1646",
    "#d07711",
    "#d01183",
    "#d5c10b",
    "#d50bd5",
    "#8db30f",
    "#7d10c1",
    "#109319",
    "#1359ae",
    "#0fb382",
    "#1098c1",
    "#0bced5"
  ]

Combining the cable color with a letter key is, in my opinion, extremely comfortable and easy to remember. On the other hand, I find it very annoying to always click until the “right” color comes up (finally that also breaks my mouse’s buttons! :grin:)

Edit: Optimized colors, added image and settings

7 Likes

and in no time at all, you’ve now replaced Wire Manager for me. This way of colouring is far more satisfying than clicking through every cable colour. I love the Wire Manager, and it has served me well. But time to say goodbye to it. =D

3 Likes

I tend to color code my cables nowadays, based on patch left by deep.ambient.drone on patchstorage which uses Count Modula’s palette module (see the link below).

It is now part of my empty template in a utility section, with keys 1 to 7 assigned to it. The 3 extra ones are gray for control signals (like Reset, Run, and so on), black for 'final’audio going in to the mixer and to the output. Haven’t got a good use for purple yet, but I am sure I’ll find one :slight_smile: .

The utility section also contains stoermelder GLUE and MB as well as the Lights Off module and a Submarine TD-202 text display and of course a STRIP so the entire utility section is just a STRIP away. My utility section is in the last few patches I posted to patchstorage. It will probably evolve as I find more modules that are always handy.

2 Likes

One interesting thing is that you can assign cable recolorizing to a Stroke key directly without additional modules thus eliminating the need for all those extras.

2 Likes

One interesting thing is that you can assign cable recolorizing to a Stroke key directly without additional modules thus eliminating the need for all those extras.

By that, do you mean that you can change the colour of cables that have already been placed (and already have a colour)? That would be handy.

1 Like

That’s exactly what it can do (stroke), hover over a cable , hit the hotkey and voila…

2 Likes

That’s exactly what it can do (stroke), hover over a cable , hit the hotkey and voila…

Sweet!

1 Like

About Stoermelder’s STROKE: for a set of “learned” hotkeys, do I have to “Save as” the Preset values and Open them every time I use STROKE in a new patch? It seems forgetful otherwise.

1 Like

If you insert a STROKE module, it is empty, i.e. without key assignments (initial state). If you save it in the template (menu: file/save template) with your assignments, they will be available for each new patch. Incidentally, this also applies to all other modules. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like