How much do you care about patch cable colors?

Yes it always starts with a blank but,

You can also save presets for Stroke, It’s a bit of work but then you can get something like this :

Maybe stoermelder can do something with the json file to make it load a preset on startup ?

2 Likes

Yes, it would be even nicer if one could save/restore a personal default setting for ANY type of module, instead just to initialize to factory defaults. But this is a bigger story, I’m afraid. :slightly_frowning_face:

Huh. It turns out that I already did add it to the “New” template. And yes, that works.

How do you get that and not have to go through an Open dialog box and scroll through all the presets? Is it a characteristic of one particular OS? (i.e. not macOS)

This is how it works on a Windows PC:

Copy the presets (*.vcvm files) of your choice into the folder

C:\Users\YourUsername\Documents\Rack\Plugins-V1\Stoermelder-P1\Presets\Stroke\

These presets then appear under “Factory presets”.

2 Likes

Huh.

I can’t reproduce that. This is what I get:

The dialog box opens as soon as I select Open. There is no sign of “Factory Presets”.

In the Finder I manually created the directory -/Users/johnrose/Documents/Rack/plugins-v1/Stoermelder-P1/presets/Stroke/ - and saved the Stroke preset in it, but that did not work.

[a few minutes later :clock2: ]

I quit Rack, then reopened it, and now “Factory presets” appear, and “Cable Colours” is under it.

I would argue that “Factory presets” is a misleading name, since there seems to be only the “User presets”.

1 Like

Very nice! Well, I think Störmelder actually intended this folder for factory presets, but of course we can also “misuse” this folder for our own presets. :grinning:

That’s the only downside, when you save a preset it’s not immediately visible in the “Factory Presets”. ( and it usually wants to save it at the wrong place… :blush: )

I would really love to use cable coloring but it kind of breaks the flow for me, automatic color coding would be really nice!

I assume that by “automatic color coding” you mean automatic assignment of cable colors to module in/output functions. That would certainly be a useful feature, but is currently not feasible, since the VCV Rack specification doesn’t provide any identification of the function of modules’ inputs and outputs.

If it’s “only” about optimal assignment of colors, management of color palettes and assignment of keys to colors, I’d recommend Cable Colour Key by inklen. An awesome module that’s highly useful for managing colors in VCV Rack.

1 Like

A nice 4 band FFT on the cable with red on the lowest quarter, green on the next lowest quarter of the frequency spectrum, and blue on the average of the highest half of the spectrum. In this way LFO and envelopes become red, and hi-hats would be cyan?

Yo, that’s what I’d wish from Easter Bunny: An AI with DSP and FFT for each single cable and VCV Rack v12.0, all on a quantum computer. :rofl:

1 Like