HetrickCV Announcements Thread

To get everyone started, I just posted 4 tutorials for phase-based sequencing:

I hope that this is a helpful guide for this exciting technique!

23 Likes

Thank you so much all for the work you have put into these tutorials, I finally understand phase based sequencing :smiley:. And of course, your modules are incredible!!!

2 Likes

VERY much appreciated ! Thank you !

1 Like

Excellent modules! And the manual is a great help to experiment with any sequencers based on the same principles!

3 Likes

This is so cool! On a side note, Philip Meyer just introduced a phasor based sequencing toolkit for Max/Msp called Rhythm and Time Toolkit.

Nice to see that this concept now also gets traction in VCV Rack thanks to your tireless effort :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Yeah, it’s so good! I forgot to cite him and Polarity in the tutorial, so I’ve put that in now. I’m going to push two more tutorials in a moment. I’m wrapping up Tutorial 6: Navigating Rhythmic Space.

6 Likes

Tutorials 5 and 6 are now up! I’m very proud of these and can hopefully find time to write more. I started work on a Phasor Burst Generator last night, so I’m going to get back to finishing that one up.

EDIT: Whoops! Forgot to add the envelope topic to Tutorial 5. It has just been re-uploaded.

12 Likes

These are great! I think these are becoming my favorite sequencers in Rack.

I’m going through the tutorials (thanks for these) and the Phasor->Waveforms is crashing Rack. See: Phasor->Waveforms crash · Issue #29 · mhetrick/hetrickcv · GitHub

I see now that he’s responded already to my report on github. So, a heads up to anyone else, who may be experiencing this.

Thanks for the report. I think this is fixed with the latest commit, but I wasn’t previously having crashes on my end. Can you test the latest automated build in a few minutes when it’s ready?

Just pushed another commit. While investigating this I noticed that the sine and triangle were out-of-phase from each other. Trigonometry strikes again!

1 Like

Perfect! Works great! Thanks.

1 Like

In tutorial 4 " Poly What" are the definitions of polymeter and polyrythm switched?

The definitions are correct, but they are confusing for a number of reasons.

1. I should use more exact language, as I wrote the tutorials pretty quickly. Putting “clock speed” in the definition for Polymeter is bad, since a) that depends on modular sequencer familiarity instead of music terms, and b) clock speed is different from phasor speed, especially within these two definitions. I’ll clean that up when I get a chance.
  2. Almost every sequencer manufacturer gets it wrong. The Squarp Pyramid is the only hardware sequencer I’ve ever used that explicitly defines a polymeter vs. polyrhythm setting. Other than that, there’s just a lot of bad repetition in telling users that what they’re doing is “polyrhythm” when they’re changing sequence lengths.
  3. Honestly… if you’re a big time music pedant a lot of it can be arbitrary :laughing: You could take the Steve Reich example in polychronics and just say “No, no, that’s not two tempi, that’s just a really, really big polyrhythm”. You could take a polymeter where you have overlapping 3/4 and 4/4 and say “No, no, that’s not polymeter, that’s just 12/4 with different notation” etc. A lot of it is just how you look at it or listen to it.
4 Likes

As a heads up, once 2.3.0 is released on the Library, I would recommend against using my Phasor Generator until 2.3.1 is released. I set up the frequency knob in a way that doesn’t save/load correctly if you’re using the Fast frequency mode. I will try to push a fix soon, although I have a ton of family visiting this weekend. 2.3.1 also has a Phasor Burst Generator which you can use for 1-shot phasors, repeating phasors, toggled cycling, etc. Overall, it’s a better-designed module than the regular Phasor Generator.

5 Likes

I don’t see any of these phasor module in my VCV. Is this one of those infuriating cases where I need to delete my HetrickCV folder and re-download everything again? Where is if that you “subscribe” to a plugin? I can never find that…

Curious to see if the new “waveforms” has Alias suppression :wink:

VCV Library - Plugins (vcvrack.com)

Tx! I am subscribed. The phasor modules should in the library, right?

1 Like

I think the 2.3.0 changes have been submitted but not yet published in the library, so you still need to grab the nightly build. I’ve never needed to delete the existing folder in the plugins directory to use a beta. Just putting the binary in the plugins directory and restarting Rack seems to be enough.

4 Likes

“This module takes in a phasor signal and outputs traditional LFO waveforms. This can be used primarily to generate modulation signals. Additionally, it can be used at audio-rates for Phase Distortion Synthesis, but be aware that the waveforms are not anti-aliased in any way.”

I’m planning on writing one eventually using the mip-map antialias technique described by Wakefield & Taylor, but it’s very low priority. Everything in this set was made because I’m building a sequencer for the Unfiltered Audio drum synth and needed a large library of sample-accurate sequencing code.

5 Likes

FYI you can check the release status of plugins that have been submitted on the projects page of the library: VCV Rack Open-source Plugins (github.com)

Just now (2023-08-05 11:00am Pacific)) I see that this plugin is in the build update category, which means that it’s passed all validations and just waiting for the next library publishing cycle.

2 Likes