Harmonaig chord quality external cv controlling problem

Does sound like a bug, will try it out later when I’ve some time to do VCV.

1 Like

I had a similar problem with Saich, where I would sometimes lose CV control, and a slider would give inconsistent results.

Could be totally unrelated, but it seems suspicious that two modules from the same plugin have intermittent problems.

1 Like

to me it looks like a bug, I reported it to Instruo

4 Likes

Not to hijack another thread, but has anyone tried my Harmony module who knows this module? I think they are quite different, but I don’t fully understand what this one does. Anyone know both?

Finally had a chance to test this out and can confirm I see the same issue.

I used an LFO and the lights around the knob moved as if they were selecting chord types, but the sound was unaffected and it was only by manually twisting the knob that the chord type changed.

1 Like

Yes, I know both. Harmonaig does add a 7th, has more modes (14) and harmonizes non-scale-notes in the context of the scale, which can give really nice passing chords. But Inversion and Voicing are fixed (well, you can modulate it) and it is buggy since day one of the initial release in late 2020 (selected mode is not saved with preset or patch, chord quality modulation is not working, the manual refers to the hardware module and a few things are not implemented and the manual had wrong scales). But it’s one of the Instruo-Modules which does not alias :stuck_out_tongue: - Oh, and they are not active on this forum and don’t reply to bug reports via E-Mail - so another two points for your module.

Edit: I forgot, if you set the input CV to 1.0 and expect it to follow VCV 1V/Oct-Standards - well, you will be disappointed. And if you set the transposition before you activate it, nothing happens. So, yeah… Instruo :+1: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ok, more or less what I thought. What does “harmonizes non-scale notes in the context of the scale mean”? I think I know…

In any case, it sounds like these are pretty different beasts. At least to me :wink:

Most of the time it is just a chord above or below the non-scale-note with the root changed to the non-scale-note, sometimes there are only two borrowed notes from an adjacent chord.

Oh, I see. Cool.

I got an answer from Instruo, they forwarded my bug report to the programmer of the modules,
so now let’s wait …

5 Likes

A year later and this bug still exists. Anyone have a workaround? I’m trying to prototype cv control of harmonaig before I buy the physical module and this is not helping :joy:

Welcome to the community. I contacted the developer last year and they assured me the Harmonaig quirks are by design to match the quirks of their hardware module so that students will face some of the same challenges as in the hardware world… At least that is what I understood.

I emailed jason at some time too, I copied his answer to the forum. It was about: “I have to add 0.0001 V to the unquantized CV to get the harmonizer to work as I expect”.

howdy, has anyone gotten cv to work with the chord quality cv input?? does it work on the hardware modules?? im confused by the above response:

does this mean that this bug isnt likely to be addressed as its considered a desirable quirk??

a solution i thought of is to be able to remotely turn the chord quality knob using a system like patchmaster, tho as far as i understand it pm is exclusively manual control correct?? is there a way to remotely control knobs using cv?? i suppose midi map would be easiest

edit: just tried hooking up an lfo using cv->midicc then mapping it to the chord quality knob but no luck. i also tried this using cv->midi & patching an lfo into the mod wheel input but also no luck. i did successfully map a hardware knob using midimap… but my ultimate desire is to be able to use cv from within vcv rack

Hi Reina. I have not looked at this in a long time, but, I think it is safe to say that some things that seem like bugs to me will not be corrected in the VCV version as they they are considered by the developer to be features that need to match exactly the hardware modules, which are used by students in a class of some type.

If you have not, be sure to try Stoermelder’s uMap module. With it, you can CV control any parameter that is on a module panel, regardless of whether the parameter has a CV control input jack.

1 Like

thank you so much! umap is exactly what i needed. wonderful tool to have.

i also def understand wanting to have true representations of their hardware counterparts, but i wonder if this specific issue is considered to be one of those emulated quirks, whats even the point of having a cv input on either version of the module.

regardless, with umap in vcv i can now sequence all four tonal parameters of harmonaig (: which is very fun

1 Like

I contacted the developer about this a couple of years ago. So, they know about it but do not agree that it should be “fixed” or changed. It’s been too long for me to really remember the details. Others have also contacted the developer.

Yeah, uMap is one of my favorite modules. I use a voltage source such as AS Triggers MK1 to determine what CV’s are required to change the target module’s parameters to quantized values and I keep a record of those, as I d for modules that have CV control of parameters. I then do crazy things like build a sequencer that can sequence the uMap for a parameter.

1 Like

thats exactly what im doing here with harmonaig (:

3 Likes

Yes, the hardware module I have works exactly as stated in the manual. The difference in the software module is a bug, as far as I can tell. In the hardware, CV is summed with the knob position. There’s nothing quirky about its operation that I can see or hear. In VCV, the workaround of mapping CV to the knob is the way to go to use the module in the same way that the hardware might be used with CV input. Cheers!

2 Likes

I should add that I’m really happy to have this hardware module in the rack. I can’t say I’ve mastered it yet but that doesn’t matter. It’s so fun and so playable. It makes all of my hardware patches better. It’s also one of my favorite modules to stare at while it’s playing. I probably wouldn’t have it in hardware if I hadn’t learned about it in VCV Rack first.

I like what this hardware quantizer comparison chart says about its Transposition features: “It’s complicated” :joy:

https://doudoroff.com/quantizers/

1 Like