Hardware Eurorack equivalent of Vult Caudal or Bogaudio 8FO?

Hello. I’m going to be taking the plunge into hardware Eurorack this year and have started my research into which modules I’d like to buy first. Two of the modules in VCV Rack I use a lot are Vult’s Caudal and Bogaudio’s 8FO, because I like to have lots of modulation sources to play with. I’d be grateful if anyone can advise of similar modules in hardware Eurorack land which have lots of modulation output sources like these two Rack modules. Many thanks!

8FO can be repaced by Erica octasource or abstract data octocontroler, maybe you can dalso do it with pam new workout

1 Like

Check out Xaoc Batumi which is probably the King of Hardware LFOs - it’s four channels rather than 8 though.

Also the Instruo DivKid Ochd gives 8 LFOs in a small space (and you can try it in VCV first)

3 Likes

a module that can do both at the same time is ornament and crime, but only 4 outs

You can also consider MI stages, with the new custom firmware, there is an extra random mode based on Lorenz and other wierd chaotic algos

3 Likes

Thanks very much all for your replies. I will go away and do my homework with the suggested modules. :slight_smile:

You could wait until Vult do a hardware Caudal?

2 Likes

Take my money.

1 Like

I wasn’t completly joking, they do make some hardware.

1 Like
3 Likes

because in some ways software is better than hardware.

1 Like

Software is obviously easier than hardware when you have to do a module that is both software and hardware. I say this from the point of view of someone who has never made either a software or hardware module of course.
I sort of wonder whether someone could use Koma Electronics Field kit (Field Kit – Electro Acoustic Workstation – KOMA Elektronik) and hook it up in such a way with a mechanical armature that they could simulate Caudal?

1 Like

@chrtlnghmstr Caudal hardware is finally available Caudal Hardware is available for pre-order

4 Likes

Congrats, seems like it was a challenging but fun design process!

Ordered! :smiley: Yay! Thank you for letting me know. I’m very happy for you to have been able to finally make a hardware version. Really looking forward to it. Controlled randomness was the reason I got into modular and Caudal is just ace. Can’t wait to get my grubby paws on it. :slight_smile:

Look how lonely Ochd is now that Caudal is in the house. :joy: But they do play very well together combined with A*B+C.

Here’s an example to play around with using that technique. Note the divided clocks hitting and reversing Caudal, and Ochd self modulating to affect how often the trills happen and keep the mirrored Caudal CV similar but never exactly the same. The top trace of the scope is the result of combining the two. The bottom half of A*B+C is simply for adjusting the CV range and offset before quantize, sample and hold, and pinging Rings.

Very glad to have Caudal in the rack. Thanks @modlfo for bringing it to life!

2 Likes