Good Clock Modulators?

Hit the “INV” button. That was the genius part.

1 Like

Phase shifting a SAW and an INV SAW (mixed) wil give you PWM either way. But with shifting offset as well.

But as said. It’s the lead side of the pulse that counts (for trigger/gate signals).

Though…it’s also the signal level. And not all trigger/gate levels (thresholds) are equal. There can be pretty substantial differences in how much voltage is needed to trigger/gate a specific module.

And of course duration is also relevant. Too short or too late might not trigger at all. Too long might retrigger where no retrigger is expected/wanted.

EDIT: A COMPARATOR is another way to do PWM by modulating the COMPARATOR threshold

Either one sided ‘left’ or ‘right’ by feeding it an (INV) SAW or both sided using a TRIANGLE.

I’ve been using Analog Shift Registers to create a … I dunno what it’s properly called… a backbeat (?) event. Or syncopated? It’s different from “swing”, at any rate. Say you want a delayed open high-hat cymbal followed by a closed high-hat, then 5 more empty beats, as in: x-O-C-x-x-x-x-x.

CLK1 is set to /4, and is hooked up to the IN of ML Modules “Shift Register”.

CLK2 is set to X2 and is hooked up to the TRG of the Shift Register. This gives you a CLK1 pulse passing through 4 contiguous outputs of the 8 outputs at any given time.

For the above “x-O-C-x-x-x-x-x” example, hook up o/p 2 of the shift register to the open hi-hat and o/p 3 to the closed hi-hat. They do not re-trigger three more times as CLK1 steps through because it stays high. Have fun moving the the patch cords to different outputs or adding, say, a kick to the first output.

[a few minutes later] It just occurred to me that a simple sequencer like Bogaudio’s ADDR-SEQ would do much the same thing, but somehow the ASR seems like more fun. Maybe it gives more options for doing stuff like using Bernoulli gates on the input or outputs too.

2 Likes

Some trigger sequencer like one from @CountModula might be the most “straightforward” way to do something like that?

1 Like

Yeah, but most of them take up a lot more real estate than the ASRs. Bit of an issue when working on a 13" display.