Going hardware?

Oh, I have looked at that too. I’ve been wanting a close 960 sequential controller clone in VCV Rack, and discussed it on the Rack discord recently. I’d love the whole set like that other platform has. The Moog modular has its quirks, and that influenced some of the music that was made.

1 Like

From what you’re saying - no, this system is not the right one for you. It’s a somewhat quirky, bulky system, specifically for people going for a very particular (narrow) vintage experience. Behringer quality, not a good starting place. You’ll get bored quickly and feel locked in.

In that price range I would look at the Taiga:

Very flexible, tons of patching opportunity, semi-modular yet completely modular, fantastic build quality and sound quality, 100% eurorack compatible, is basically a eurorack system in a box, and at the same time a eurorack module that you later can put in a case and expand around it, or expand around it with a small eurorack case with effects, additional modulation etc.

It will give you a great and affordable opportunity to learn if eurorack and hardware patching REALLY is for you, and if it is you can very organically build out around it. It’s got everything you need. Look at the specs and the great reviews out there, starting with this one:

This would definately be my recommendation.

1 Like

For the record, I have owned maybe a dozen Behringer modules for a number of years and the only modules I have had fail are a 2hp Arp and Doepfer SEM which stopped working and a Hampshire Electronics VCO whose tracking went too far out to be adjusted. YMMV of course.

The 2 x 140hp rack case is particularly bombproof and the lower more shallow row is fine for most modern modules. I have two of them and a 104hp skiff plus a different manufacturer’s deeper case for those few modules that need it, mainly Expert Sleepers, 2hp and Doepfer.

I’ve had a few Behringer modules and no problem either. Actually to start hardware for even cheaper I’d go for a Neutron and a Eurorack Go case, that I’d start filling with utilities and effects (leaving the Neutron outside the case, obviously), and then step by step see what else I’d like. Rides In The Storm has some really nice modules, and not really more expensive than Behringer… For instance their SED filter is absolutely gorgeous, the DMO is really useful too (dual VCO / LFO), and they have good and cheap basic utilities that just work. It is just one exemple but a lot of brands have good cheap modules that would work for what you want, just take your time, be prepared to buy/sell/trade for a while, don’t get frustrated because something brilliant on paper isn’t exciting IRL, and have fun !

I feel like going hardware when coming from VCV is about the physical interaction and the analog sound, to me at least. For instance when using VCV I sometime do stupidly complex generative nonsense that would be absurd to try with hardware, and as a matter of facts I never use “notes” or “rhythms” in hardware, I play everything with two hands and a few macrocontrollers (faders and a joystick), and believe me, this is not what I had planned a year ago…

2 Likes

Great advice (better than mine!). I agree that boredom (and GAS!) will quickly set in with the System 15 on its own.

If I were starting in hardware now I would be all over the Taiga. Incredible VFM. The 0-Coast or Moog’s semis are surpassed by this. If you are interested @SkwareUawe I wouldn’t hang about - Pittsburgh have a habit of releasing stuff in short or single production runs, like this extraordinary semi, that a handful of lucky people own:

2 Likes

For the people sniffy about Behringer Pittsburgh Electronics teamed with Cr8audio to produce a couple of eurorack compatible semi modulars, the East Beast and West Pest, that each cost less than the Neutron and have some really good reviews and they have inbuilt sequencers too.

3 Likes

Ok, ok, ok. First of all, thank you all for the tons of comments (all of them absolutely appreciated, let me tell ya) and for the HW suggestions.

So basically what you are pointing me at are:

And that’s just to dip my toes in hardware. I have to say, the prices are quite affordable and the CR8AUDIO look promising, since at the price of one I can grab a couple of things and, given the fact that I probably will be able to couple with VCV, I could create a pretty huge musical landscape, with HW and SW entagled.

I’d be headed for that solution. Someone got some more comment about? I am going to read all the possible documents about the CR8AUDIO products in the meanwhile. And again, of course, thank you so much for all your ideas!

2 Likes

West Pest and East Beast have several discussions on ModWiggler. I have heard good things. Robin has some great reviews:

1 Like

I’d also take a look at the Minibrute 2S. Though the synth part is not as exciting as Taiga’s, the sequencer is where it really shines. You get to send out four tracks of CV (gates, pitch information, LFOs, envelopes and constant voltages) to control your Eurorack modules. The pads are sensitive to velocity and pressure and fun modulation sources. You can use it as a basic step sequencer or as something along the lines of the Buchla LEM218 or Make Noise 0-Ctrl. Also, it’s cheaper than the Taiga - even more so if you buy second hand - and sounds gorgeous! Overall it is a very capable synth with an intuitive patch bay and plenty of hidden tricks. With the money you save you can get a couple of modules to start with, like an input module (it expects Eurorack levels, so plugging in external instruments is a pain) and a low pass gate. I hope that helped!

1 Like

Maybe I’ll have a hardware product someday to fill that gap. With the upshot for this crowd being that it’d interface natively to Rack. Still seems a long way away, progress is steady but slow. So far there’s analog VCO and signal processing (VCF/VCA), with more to come.

Yup, I said Taiga because that is the price range you indicated, but I was also going to say (but didn’t) that the two Cr8audio/Pittsburgh modular collaborations, East Beast and West Pest, are two very attractive options if you want to go significantly cheaper. I don’t think you can go wrong with those two. As always, it’s all about your budget :slight_smile:

Oh, and if you ask me whether an East Beast + a West Pest has more power and opportunity than a Taiga, my answer will be no. So if your budget IS a £679 synth I would definately say the Taiga. One more thing, since you want shipping to Italy definately look at buying it at thomann.

So to use modular with VCV there are a number of ways to go. Simplest may be to send MIDI from VCV to the modular and there are a number of modules that let you do that, I use one named the Mutant Brain that can pick up MIDI notes sent to four different channels and convert them to v/oct CV and Gate outputs. It also has 8 spare ports that can be used to send drum triggers or LFO CV.

Next up, maybe check out ways to get audio and CV from and into VCV or a DAW hosting VCV, most popular modules for that are probably Expert Sleepers and they have a range of things from a full blown audio interface to something that can use optical leads to connect ADAT on the module to an ADAT port on your own separate audio interface - I use ES3 and 6 modules, but there’s a range.

Let’s say that my budget is ~€1000 expedition excluded. And yeah, I’ve seen some videos about CR8AUDIO and some about TAIGA and I have to admit that, despite the first two got some sort of look ‘n’ feel appeal, Taiga got something that resounded (in all possible means) more with me despite the first impression. I have to ponder a little more, read again all your comment and watch again some videos and then I’ll make my mind. But for sure this is the year I will go hardware.

3 Likes

penso che in inglese sia meglio scrivere “shipping” :it: di dove sei? :clap:

the day I received my B. Neutron I promised myself that I would buy one more someday (now they are saying that the Proton is ready for production…)

Ecciai ragggione! :grin: Sono del “Bello Stivale”, Metropoly of Milano (\s). For the moment I am torturing the ears of my neighbours with some non-input-technique (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n0GiXJcFZU) that I learnt from Andreij Rublev but when I will have my TAIGA + VCV + my NIT setup it will be sooooooooooooooo much fun… :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Mandatory answer to any no input mention : Mask, by Marko Ciciliani

Edit : Since you mentioned No Input, do you want to explore feedback patching with your coming hardware ? Also, if it is the case, check this person’s video if you don’ already know them : La Synthèse Humaine

2 Likes

Yes those are great links!

And to add a third one, this was one of the grandmasters of no input mixing:

2 Likes

Indeed ! I love how he makes subtle and soothing tones with his mixer… It is not always easy to get there… And he also is really good at mixing those sounds with guitar, which is not a given either.

1 Like

By the way, here’s an excellent video demonstrating a small build-out around a Taiga. With just a Keystep, a Pamela’s New Workout and an FX-AID around a Taiga you’re set for months and months of fun and great music IMHO:

2 Likes

I am ABSOLUTELY touched by the more than fantastic suggestions you all gave me, seriously! :star_struck: I have to bite a huge bullet because I’m waiting a client of mine to pay me but as soon as some bucks will flow in my pockets, they will flow to mr.Thomann… I see a wonderful winter coming…

4 Likes