Emulating a wah effect with external MIDI pedal ?

Can anyone suggest a module or more that I could control for a wah effect ? I have an external MIDI controller (BCF2000) with a working foot pedal, need some suggestions for a patch.

dp

Hello Dave, there a few modules but here is a set up with bass and the wah wah, hope this works for you:

Slap Bass | Patchstorage

Just given it a run out and it keep out with early Devo!

1 Like

Use it to sweep frequencies on a band pass filter

Yes. I guess preferably one that distorts a bit. And then you can extend this to any kind of filter. It wonā€™t be strictly a ā€œwahā€ any more, but it will be a cool effect thatā€™s from the same universe.

Hey, thanks for the tips ! I have nicely working prototype (which I needed for a lesson in about an hour) built with the Squinky Labs Formants filter. The center frequency is swept with the MIDI-CV input while the vowel type is slowly modulated by a VCV LFO-1. Works well enough to fake it on Voodoo Child and Shaft. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice. I tend to prefer grooving on slower stuff like Burning of the Midnight Lamp and Maggot Brain

1 Like

Eddie Hazel! And then there is the ā€œfixedā€ wah as a tone control, i.e. Mick Ronson.

1 Like

yes, especially good on live versions of Moonage Daydream and Width of a Circle

And then there is band of gypsies ā€œmachine gunā€ and jeff beckā€™s ā€œdefinitely maybeā€ā€¦

Iā€™m sure you know this, but technically a wah is a band pass filter, so anything with BP mode should do it. I like using different filter types for a different sound, so experimentation is key. Iā€™ve got a MIDI foot controller with two expression pedals but havenā€™t tried this yet, other than a kind of voice box patch combining bit crushing with a BP filter and a clock divider to drop it down an octave. Another fun one for guitar is to use Entrian Follower to make an auto-wah. Iā€™ve got a nice patch somewhere using this with Box of Revelation, let me know if you want me to dig any of these out! Anyway Iā€™m off to listen to Maggot Brain, havenā€™t heard that for years. Brilliant!

Cheers,

Ed

My student had already got pretty far with Voodoo Child, we had a lot of fun yesterday. Btw, I also recommended he check out White Room, Tales Of Brave Ulysses, and Papa Was A Rolling Stone, all good examples to the purpose. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Anyone know a pitch shifting module that could be used in a similar way with incoming audio and expression pedal MIDI->CV to replicate a Whammy pedal as used on things like Seven Nation Army?

Itā€™s kind of a fun idea to build a guitar pedal board from VCV modules

1 Like

Nysthi, surprisingly has one: Pitchshifter, he has a fuzz distortion as well, Bidoo -Pitch. Those are the ones Iā€™m aware of. Probably more. Any audio examples of what the pedal does?

basically just listen to a lot of the stuff Jack White used to play in White Stripes, most famously the octave up and down shifting in Seven Nation Army. Cheers for the tip.

hereā€™s Digitechā€™s demo

more fun demo of the ā€˜juniorā€™ version (like an Autowah version) of the pedal, the Whammy Ricochet

1 Like

Thanks, as I do, I put a rough patch version together without the Midi option, would MIDI CV module serve that function?

should work fine youā€™d just need to listen to an incoming CC value which is what the expression pedal uses.

Well Iā€™m not a guitarist, always try to keep it within rack, so might try AI Resonator or Pluck on Macro modules to get a vague guitar sound. Hereā€™s the patch so far, any advice on alterations donā€™t hesitate to ask for them.:

Whaamy style pedal.vcv (27.8 KB)

Thatā€™s how Iā€™m running my pedal into VCV Rack. The pedal itself is an old Yamaha foot controller, works perfectly with the BCF2000 (where itā€™s CC# 94, IIRC). I use an attenuverter to adjust the effective range. Btw, I did try the Vult Tangents filter in bp mode, didnā€™t care for the results but didnā€™t spend a lot of time tweaking it. YMMV.

Iā€™m curious - who ā€œsmooths outā€ the 7 bit value coming from MIDI? does the core MIDI module do this? Because someone better, or I would think you would get grainy sound or even the dreaded ā€œzipper noiseā€.

Hello Dave so I have created a patch using all VCV modules based around the Squinky Formants filter and got some good wah-wah effects from it! So how have you modulated the vowel type via a real guitar? I have used AI Macro-Pluk and Resonator as my guitar sources.