Dreamworld Plus One Challenge (September 2024)

It may sound awful live, but the recorder “write head” stalls at the same rate as the audio output. So the end recording doesn’t have any clicks. Think of it like stop-motion animation - render an audio “frame” (sample) and then record it. Repeat…

1 Like

Interesting … but makes for paying it live not so fun…

I am running VCV on an old 2015 iMac with an i5 and 16GB of RAM. Patch runs completely fine while playing.

But I did indeed have clicks and pops while recording for the video which is one of the reasons I rarely use the VCV Recorder Module even though it’s more convenient than stitching together video and audio afterwards. I second you’re point about live performing being very hard if you’re not listening to „clean“ audio.

From the beginning I’ve thought that VCV Recorder was untenable for recording video. Right from the start I’ve been recording Rack patches with Quicktime + virtual audio router (Sunflower, Blackhole) which is an infinitely superior solution. No stitching together or editing involved at all. I’ve been contemplating doing a write-up/topic on it in here because I see people struggling with it, and the superior solution is in fact very easy to use. A little encouragement would tip me over into writing…

9 Likes

I would love to see that - I would probably switch to recording on my M1 mac.

Currently I record lossless video on my PC and then convert to mp4 with VLC. It works great, but is a pain, and I hate creating multi-gigabyte lossless recordings, even if only temporary.

2 Likes

Great, I appreciate the encouragement. Let’s not pollute this topic. If others want to see this as well, give my post above a like and I’ll get to work.

I actually would be interested in learning how to optimize/streamline video recording on an older WIN/PC.

I have been using VCV Recorder, because to me it’ the most straightforward to use. Sometimes I found that even though the patch itself was glitching, the recording was still clean.

Also have used OBSS, but it always takes a couple of extra thoughts to set it up, especially if using it less frequently.

So, a dedicated thread with tips on screen recording would be great, thank you for the offer!

2 Likes

Yes. Let’s not pollute this topic. I’ll write up how to record on macOS, but I’ll make the topic general enough so that people can supply their own best recipes for other operating systems. Stay tuned…

4 Likes

Challenge Closed

This has been another great month of creativity! Thanks to everyone who took time to participate and share their work here. I have updated the YouTube playlist.

Special Announcement

We will have a special guest host for the October challenge: @Bloodbat has volunteered to create and host the next challenge. Then I will take back over in November. Stay tuned for a new thread here in the Music & Patches category for the October challenge thread, coming soon…

2 Likes

Nice! Thank you, @Bloodbat! Looking forward to another month of super creative patches.

Thank you Don! The new challenge has been posted, I hope y’all enjoy :slight_smile:

4 Likes