Don Cross / CosineKitty / Sapphire

Currently, I am focused on developing new modules. I would be open to having color themes like this, but it probably won’t happen any time soon unless another developer wants to step forward and help. I would welcome that! It would be great to have dark/light versions; it’s just not high enough priority for me to delay some of the fun and creative stuff I’m working on.

3 Likes

I’m celebrating the start of a beautiful weekend with some bouncy rhythms:

The patch is available if you want to play with it.

6 Likes

Fun!

1 Like

Always nice to listen to your Modules.

1 Like

Very nice dude. Some really great feedback guitar sounds

1 Like

Here is my fun jam session tonight. I really enjoy using Proteus for melody and Polygene for rhythm together. My guilty pleasure is twiddling Chrono Blob’s time knob just for the nasty detuning.

7 Likes

You’re not alone in that guilty pleasure, that’s for sure.

2 Likes

I used to twiddle the delay. Knob on my electro harmonix memory man a lot. Super fun.

Wow, pretty cool Don…

The sound immediately reminded me of this:

1 Like

I can imagine the fun you had :smiley:. Both, Proteus and Polygene are great.

Have you tried cross-modulating clock inputs, i.e. feeding the Polygene output into the Proteus clock, then the Proteus gate output back into the Polygene clock? This can yield interesting rhythmic patterns.

Push the RND button of Polygene for variation. You can also change length and lambda settings in Proteus as usual.

Proteus+Polygene_Cross-modulating clock inputs.vcvs (27.0 KB)

2 Likes

Very fun! I’m enjoying playing with this!

1 Like

Here is the same “Locopods” patch with minor tweaks and more modulation. Audio only. I like this one better than my first effort.

2 Likes

This patch looks a lot like the previous one, but it sounds very different. I really love the Airwindows module. Thank you @baconpaul for helping bring this to the VCV Rack world! The Airwindows Galaxy reverb plays a big role this in this patch (download), to create that luscious and enormous stereo field.

5 Likes

I have been obsessed with lush synth pads for a long time. Now I’m starting to get results I like. Here is today’s effort. Many thanks to Chris Johnson of Airwindows for his amazing Airwindows Galactic reverb algorithm!

8 Likes

Are you adding a Galactic algorithm reverb to the Sapphire collection? That would be rad.

That is one gorgeous pad!

I am curious - what is the impetus for creating your own Galactic reverb module? Are you adding new features? Or eliminating the block processing? Or improving performance? or…?

I see that the upper right galaxy has yellow dots in the knob centers that are not present in the middle right instance. Might that have something to do with your unique take?

It can’t be too hard. When I were a lad, and rocks were soft and God was a boy, we’d make whistles out of Alder bush branches in the spring when the sap was rising. Spring or early Summer was best because that was when it was easiest to slip the bark off in one piece (steps 4 and 5), which is the most difficult part. The only tool required is a sharp jackknife with a smooth handle.

This article describes the process fairly well: https://www.saltscapes.com/roots-folks/686-whispers-from-the-past

I would do step 3 differently, and make the sound hole a semicircle (instead of an oval, with the straight edge towards the mouthpiece.

For a bonus feature, instead of carving out a fixed volume resonance chamber in the wood core, you cut it off completely and turn it into a slide whistle. To play the slide whistle version you have to hold it carefully with a finger and thumb at the sides of the mouthpiece so that the inside of the mouthpiece doesn’t move around.

The fixed frequency version would last us a couple of days, even after the bark had dried out.

[later] Ah. This article is even better, with lots of progress photos: https://www.instructables.com/Stick-bark-whistle/

1 Like

Thanks for the link! I am going to study that and give it a try!

Thank you!

I have some ideas for more “opinionated” modules for VCV Rack that perform more complex operations, like creating synth pads. Also, reverb tuned carefully enough could act like a guitar resonator chamber for some physical simulations of instruments I am thinking about. In general reverb will be one of the internal blocks needed inside many of the hypothetical modules I’m pondering.

I went down a rabbit hole studying reverb algorithms and found that it is a much deeper topic than I thought. Before I started researching, I thought I could just whip up my own reverb with its own personality, but it’s a lot more complicated than I thought.

When I started playing with Airwindows Galactic, I realized it is perfect for synth pads, it is open source (MIT license), and I could easily follow the code. I am communicating with the author, Chris Johnson, and he has been very helpful and supportive in adapting Galactic for use in Sapphire.

So, no, there really isn’t a need for Sapphire Galaxy in itself. It is mainly a stepping stone to other things I have planned.

3 Likes

Thank you! Yes, I will, although it is just a stepping stone for now (see my previous post in this thread).