Don Cross / CosineKitty / Sapphire

I just now submitted Nucleus to VCV Rack for approval. Usually the VCV Rack developers work through updates over the weekend, so hopefully Nucleus will be on the library page for Sapphire early next week.

3 Likes

Thanks Don! Fantastic and unique instruments you share. May the great Cthulhu grant it a safe and quick passage to us:)

1 Like

I have stopped asking favors from Cthulhu… sometimes they backfire in very unpleasant ways!

2 Likes

Tonight’s dread sandwich is served with a tall glass of misery…

7 Likes

no trace of Nucleus update:( maybe, If you are so kind, Don, you can release nightly builds/releases on github. that way we won’t need to wait for official releases… thnx

1 Like

The release candidate build is already available for you to use on GitHub. Go to this page, scroll to the bottom, and download the zip file appropriate for your platform. Go into your VCV Rack user folder, then into the plugins folder for your architecture (e.g. plugins-win-x64). Unzip the file you downloaded here. Note that the zip filename must match the directory name you are in.

When you start up VCV Rack, now you will have version 2.4.0 of Sapphire installed.

Please let me know how it goes…

1 Like

VCV does that for you, just move the zip file to the plugins folder.

The zip file I’m talking about is e.g. win-x64.zip. If you just put that in the plugins folder, VCV Rack will ignore it. The zip file will just sit there forever. (I just tried it to confirm this is true.) You have to unzip it to get the file CosineKitty-Sapphire-2.4.0-win-x64.vcvplugin. Then that file will automatically be processed by VCV Rack when it starts.

1 Like

My mistake, apologies. I’m so used to downloading Surge builds which you don’t have to unzip.

Fantastic modules btw, thank you.

1 Like

Yeah, no worries. I know it’s confusing and unhelpful that my repo offers a zip file with a vcvplugin file inside it, which is itself an archive file. I just added this issue to fix this in the future. I want to make it possible to directly download the vcvplugin files for all the supported platforms, every time I push a batch of changes.

1 Like

You can just copy the surge github actions. They will work with almost no changes. Dm or email if you want a hand

1 Like

You can just copy the surge github actions

Yeah, I figured it was the nightly build stuff I removed from the github actions in the first place. I think the phrase nightly build threw me off. It sounded like overhead I didn’t want, because I don’t have multiple developers checking in stuff every day. I only need a build when I push, but maybe that’s what this means?

At least in mine (hc-one), which I copied from somewhere, although it’s cslled “nightly”, it’s actually just on-demand push. “Rolling build” is the more apt term.

1 Like

That term makes more sense to me too. I have to say, I love the whole GitHub Actions workflow many of us are using. It’s so helpful that I can verify my code builds across all platforms, plus it runs all my unit tests.

1 Like

Oh, and check it out… VCV Rack just updated the plugins!

4 Likes

Yeah I called if a nightly when we first automated surge in 2019 since that was a habit from a previous job but then we did it on every commit. And I then automated baconplugs for like rack 0.6 and folks copied that and the name just sort of stuck, even though we get silly results - like today we had 5 shortcircuit nightlies.

Easy to change it from nightly to latest for yourself. But in surge land the name is too culturally entrenched for us to change it.

1 Like

Thanks for explaining that! Sounds like putting it back and renaming it will be perfect for me.

Create a tag called “jimbob” make a release from it and populate it with one junk file

Replace nightly with jimbob there everywhere

Voila

1 Like

Oh and surge synthesizer with you and so on

@cosinekitty Just softly following up on white/dark themes. Is this still a possibility? :slight_smile:

thanks for the wonderful modules.