Don Cross / CosineKitty / Sapphire

I’ve been busy working on a new VCV Rack module called Sapphire Nucleus. Here is a sneak preview. You can tell I haven’t even finished the panel design artwork yet. But I wanted to share this because I’m excited by the wacky sounds I get out of Nucleus with very little coaxing!

14 Likes

Oh yes! Based on that preview, I think you have a winner - to my ears the best sound generator you have created so far.

I think it would pair beautifully with my Benjolin.

Or a live duet jam could be cool - You playing the nucleus, and me a Benjolin. I think the audience would perceive distinct instruments, yet also sense us responding to each other.

4 Likes

the low droney tones from 7:30-11:00 are wild and the warped percussion after is just too fun

superb work, love this preview, the plugin is exploding, almost literally!!

1 Like

Super trivial ask but is there any chance we might get a light grey and or dark module scheme?

1 Like

I would be open to adding multiple color schemes in a future release, after I have stabilized the design of Nucleus. That will be a plugin-wide refactoring job that will require a release cycle of its own.

1 Like

Oh man, that would be a blast! I’m definitely looking forward to crafting two or three minimalist “fixed rack” patches centered on the Nucleus. I can imagine playing one of these hypothetical patches as an instrument to accompany a jam session!

3 Likes

Here’s another drone session I recorded tonight:

3 Likes

I’m starting to learn more about the construction of ambient sound textures. Here is a demo of something I learned recently: feeding a series of notes through deep and 100% wet reverb can create an ethereal choir synth pad.

5 Likes

If you have the premium VCV Host plugin, then by all means get the free Valhalla Super Massive reverb/delay plugin and load it into Host-FX. It is amazing for ambient patches. My favorite go-to setting is the SFX->Nebulae->Planetarium preset.

If you don’t have Host yet, then I think Super Massive is all the reason you need to get it!

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks for the tip, @DaveVenom !

This recording is intended as a contemplative meditation soundtrack. It uses a pair of my upcoming Sapphire Nucleus modules as a bell and gong. Om Shanti Om!

3 Likes

Release candidate artwork design for Sapphire Nucleus:

10 Likes

That looks nice!

1 Like

I’m really excited for this module Don. Can’t wait!

3 Likes

I had some fun making some chaotic glitch lunacy this morning using the release candidate version of Nucleus. At this point I’m only making changes for bug fixes – I intend to submit Nucleus to VCV Rack for approval on Friday.

7 Likes

One of the original goals for Nucleus was inspired by Instruō øchd: to provide an ample supply of low frequency control voltages that work well together.

Along those lines, tonight’s jam session takes you on a deep space journey using lots of slow CV-driven movement. Here I use two Sapphire Nuclei, one as an audio frequency voice, the other as a low frequency chaotic oscillator for CV inputs.

“Reverb is Life” — Omri Cohen

9 Likes

Beautifully disturbing!

1 Like

I was thinking the same thing. I thought this patch might serve as a haunted house soundtrack generator for Halloween!

1 Like

Disturbingly Beautiful :grin:

1 Like

Any idea when this great module is going to be in the library? The patch sounds superbly dark!! Oh gloriouso!

1 Like