Doepfer A-124 Wasp Filter

Very nice. Are we expecting more Doepfer/Cytomic collaborations?

Yes :slight_smile:

We haven’t picked the rest of the modules yet.

16 Likes

Yes, I would like to see the A-101-6 as VCV module :star_struck:

1 Like

I’ve been intrigued by many Doepfer modules so just hoping to try them out. The A107 multitype morphing filter, A196 phase locked loop, A137 wave multipliers, A171 slew generators etc

Great work on this. It sounds awesome, looking forward to more Doepfer goodness and I picked up your tube screamer beta this evening, so looking forward to putting that through its paces too.

2 Likes

Will the rest of Doepfer modules be priced individualy? or will it be a bundle?

1 Like

I can confirm sounds very hardware accurate. I remember going through every filter in VCV to find something that would come close to this sound, great to know that my search is finally over, great great Module!

We’re not really sure how best to handle things. Ideally I’d like for people to be able to buy individual modules and if they add up to the price of the bundle you get the whole bundle, but that sort of thing isn’t in place yet. I’ve got lots of other work on as well, so we’ll just see how things go and when new modules are finished and take it from there.

5 Likes

This is a gamechanger! Please port A-106-5 SEM and A-105 SSM filter next. I have all three of these in hardware and they are amazing. SSM is the filter used in Prophet 5 and Mono/Poly and others.

1 Like

There is a bit of a problem with doing the A-105 SSM filter in that they don’t make them any more so can’t really send me one, and if they did I would have to somehow reverse engineer the SSM2044 filter chip - of which there are some details in the patent filings, but all up it’s probably not going to happen!

1 Like

I thought the A-122 which had a Curtis chip and their CEM 3320 the ‘Prophet 5’ filter, but apparently we’re both right as that’s what they used in the P5 Rev 3, SSM in Revs 1 and 2.

While the A-105 isn’t being made anymore, the quad version A-105-4 is. It’s just four chips vs one, so it might be possible?

1 Like

Simple question:

Is the plan for these modules to be released individually with their own prices or is it for the whole lineup as it comes?

This makes me so pumped. it sounds great just as great as your other filter models. I hope to hear some more come from you as you do make some(if not the best) filters in the game.

A-150-4 use the AS3360+SSI2144 (image from thomann.de)

http://www.alfarzpp.lv/eng/sc/AS3360.pdf https://www.soundsemiconductor.com/downloads/ssi2144datasheet.pdf https://www.st.com/resource/en/datasheet/tl072.pdf

1 Like

see couple of comments above:

As long as the chips are still made, and I have access to a complete schematic for the internals of the chips (edit: a datasheet is not a complete schematic of the internals of the chip) so I can model any un-ideal behaviour, then it’s a possibility. A lot of these chips don’t have public schematics for them, which makes doing a model guesswork, lengthy, and so very costly. We’re trying to make good value modules, which unfortunately means this sort of protracted reverse engineering isn’t possible.

If the chip doesn’t do much “odd stuff” then it can be behaviourally macro modelled with near ideal components - ie I would just model what the chip is producing as an end result without going into many details of the chip itself, which is most likely the situation if anyone has claimed to have modelled these chips. So that may be enough in this situation, but until I have a device in front of me to analyse it’s impossible to tell.

Additionally, some of these chips are revered because of how accurately they stay in tune over a wide range of frequencies, which you actually get for free with a digital model - it’s modelling un-ideal behaviour that takes work!

5 Likes

It this the same filter that Vult (@modlfo ) modeled for Ferox a few years back?

Yes. The Wasp filter uses CMOS inverters, and that is what Vult modeled for Ferox according to Vult Modules for VCV Rack though Vult’s is considerably more feature full (Notch out, individual enumerators, added post distortion). Without having both I obviously can’t speak to CPU usage or sound comparison - though I do have Vult Premium and a Behringer Wasp and testing those against each other the Behringer Wasp has a bit more of a fat, analog sound, which is definitely better to my ears - albeit not by much. I’m also testing the Behringer Wasp with it’s inbuilt analog oscillator (only 1, set to square) which the best replacement I can best replicate with Vult’s Bleak - so, the difference may be more in the oscillator than the filter, as the waveforms aren’t perfect matches, and there’s probably some plesent analog drift and filtering from the ADC of my interface will likely be more plesent than even the very small amount of aliasing on Ferox… which is long winded way of saying, not an apples to apples comparison, but Ferox does sound like a Wasp pretty damn well and I’d be very interested in testing this A-124 against it, though I can’t justify the cost as I do already have Vult’s and the hardware (albeit Behringer…) versions.

EDIT: Just watched the demo video. Those waveforms are wicked close! Regardless of if I get this or not, massive props to the effort put in by @andy-cytomic and the vision of Andrew to bring the A-124 to VCV. That’s some next level DSP work, and you bet I’ll be reading all the technical papers on the Cytomic website in the hopes that I can absorb even a bit of your black magic powers!

3 Likes

I’d love to cast my vote for the A111-X and A106-6