DHE Modules - Releases

I have released DHE-Modules v0.6.4, with two new utility modules: Func and Func 6.

Func scales or offsets its input signal by a selectable amount. You can configure it as an attenuator, attenuverter, gain knob, and five other functions that don’t have common names.

If you need even more Func, check out Func 6. Func 6 is a chain of 6 Func channels, with each channel’s input normaled to the output of the channel above it.

DHE-Modules v0.6.4 also slightly improves the performance of the previous modules.

15 Likes

I’ve wondered for a while whether you’d consider doing thinner versions of the various stages modules
? Like, 1 or 2hp? i think it would make them much easier to use routinely. I don’t stream them as much as i used to but found them really interesting to mess about with.

Stage might fit into 1hp, if I can stack six ports and three knobs in a single column. But you’d lose the handy guideline (connect each input to the output to its left) that makes wiring sorta somewhat intuitive-ish.

I think the other stage modules have too many controls to fit comfortably in a single column.

I have made them ever so slightly less CPU intensive, though :wink:

Okay, thanks for responding. I don’t think every module needs to be super slim but if something has a few controls and, more importantly, your not really going to mess with those controls as part of a performance, then it can be quite convenient. The nysthi microslew is the slew limiter i use most, for instance.

I have thought about making combo modules that combine two, three, or four stages. That reduces the need for ports, and so reduces the width, at the expense of flexibility. I may get to it eventually.

1 Like

DHE-Modules 0.6.5 is available now, including Blossom—a new module that’s a kissing cousin to Xycloid. https://dhemery.github.io/DHE-Modules/

This release also fixes a nasty defect in the envelope generator modules. A big thank you to Omri Cohen for reporting it.

8 Likes

I like the way your modules look, but honestly, I’d never used them because I didn’t understand what they did and I have a mortal fear of things I don’t understand. But today I said to myself, “get a grip,” and I loaded up two of them and an oscillator to see if I could make heads of tails of them. Turns out I can use them to modulate stuff.

So I’ve got a very small rack set up here: only eight modules, including your CUBIC, BOOSTER and the Audio module, and so help me, I am going to see some sort of noise/drone session through to completion (and record it). If I can do it, it will be the first.

3 Likes

the thing to remember about the various DHE “stages” modules is that each module correspondes to the rise or fall of an envelope and that by connecting them together you can create quite complex envelopes.

The above is an example of one of my patches making extensive use of boost stage.

1 Like

Yeah, I tend to write a module only when I have an idea that nobody else is likely to think of. And that means each one is somewhat peculiar. And that means it’s not always obvious what the heck to do with them.

Omri Cohen made a great tutorial about the stage modules (which inspired me to improve their performance). I did a video about Xycloid, surprising myself that it turned out to be musically useful after all. And I will eventually make videos of some of the utility modules—Func, Tapers, and Ranger. Maybe Cubic and Swave.

Good luck!

1 Like

I use xycloid a lot with Plaits in speak and spell mode. It makes the voice sound very sarcastic.

1 Like

LOL I had no idea Xycloid was good for sarcasm!

DHE-Modules 1.0.2 is now available, including the new Gator module. Gator computes 8 common logic functions for up to 16 inputs. https://dhemery.github.io/DHE-Modules/modules/gator/

6 Likes

Inspired by Andrew Belt’s Facebook post about fuzzy logic, I’ve released two new modules: Fuzzy Logic Z and Fuzzy Logic H. Each module combines two input signals in a variety of ways by applying fuzzy logic operators.

Fuzzy Logic Z’s operators are based on the fuzzy logic operators defined by Lofti Zadeh. These are the most commonly used forms of the operators. Z stands for Zadeh.

Fuzzy Logic H has the same operators, but defines them in a different, less common way, based on hyperbolic paraboloids. H stands for Hyperbolic.

There are 16 possible boolean operators with two operands. Some of them are uninteresting for combining signals—they emit either a constant or one of the inputs unchanged. My modules don’t have those operators. I also omitted two other operators, each producing the negation of one of the inputs, for space reasons.

So what’s left are the ten most interesting two-input logic operators, implemented in two different fuzzy forms.

For many inputs signals, the corresponding operators in each module will give a somewhat similar output. In the input signals I tried (simple sine, triangle, and saw waves), the H operators appear to produce slightly rounder transitions than the Z operators when the input signals change direction.

I have no idea how you’ll use this musically.

Enjoy!

9 Likes

DHE-Modules 1.1.0 is available now, including new 4-, 8-, and 16-step Curve Sequencer modules. A Curve Sequencer is a combination of sequencer and envelope generator, offering lots of possibilities for controlling the overall sequence and the individual steps.

https://dhemery.github.io/DHE-Modules/modules/curve-sequencer/

7 Likes

Am finding your modules very useful for my methods as have been attempting to synthesize animal calls using field recordings for reference. I do not think it would have been possible in vcv rack otherwise. The timing I can achieve for say a grasshopper or a wood pigeon is made relatively easy. Looking forward to the curve sequencers. btw your Ranger module is looking a bit sad with this update 1.1.0 will need to fix the graphic. :face_with_monocle: Thank You

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up on Ranger. I multiplied instead of dividing. Or vice versa. Or something. I’ve submitted a fix.

Are there public links to patches or videos with your animal calls?

Thanks.

I was thinking to publish something here, I suppose I better do it now :slight_smile: Will make a post soon to show what I have been doing. I use some other software to measure the field recordings and would rather like to see what people think about my methods.

2 Likes

Ranger is fixed in v1.1.1, available now. Thanks again for alerting me to the problem.

I have released DHE-Modules v1.3.0, which introduces the Sequencizer modules (Sequencizer 4, Sequencizer 8, and Sequencizer 16). These modules offer enormous flexibility and control for building multi-step modulation sequences.

With 2.7 zillion controls, a Sequencizer may look daunting, but it operates on a small number of key ideas. The Sequencer User Guide is your friend. It describes these underlying ideas, and gives techniques for building all kinds of steps and sequences.

Some things you can do with Sequencizer modules:

• Build nearly any envelope generator you can think of, and a few you can’t think of. See the Sequencizer 4 factory presets for examples.
  • Build a traditional, externally-clocked step sequence. Or an internally-timed step sequence. Or a step sequence that mixes externally-clocked and internally-timed steps.
  • Build a non-traditional step sequence, nudging some steps forward when the gate rises, others when the gate falls, and others on any gate change. Or you can skip steps when the gate is high, and others when the gate is low.
  • Build a multi-step sample-and-hold sequence with steps of different durations, or steps that advance on different gate conditions.
  • Make a step emit an input signal for a while. Or fade an input signal in or out. Or crossfade from one input signal to another.
  • Build modulation sequences that mix steps that ramp or curve up or down, sample and hold, track input signals, and fade signals in and out.

Some praise for Sequencizer:

“It’s not just a sequencer, it’s a sequencer construction kit!” —Dale Emery

“It’s a Swiss Army sequencer, but without the Swiss Army!” —Dale Emery

“It has a user guide!” —Dale Emery

22 Likes

I’d definitely use your older “stage” based envelope generator modules if they were polyphonic.

edit to say that I did use one of your fuzzy logic modules recently but I can’t remember which one.