DanTModules New Releases Thread

Yes, I understand the desire, I was trying to figure out how to show all channels at once, but nothing satisfactory came to mind.

If all 16 channels are in use and they just so happen to be on the same note, what would that look like?

Originally I did look at the V1 VCV implementation for the little 4x4 grid of lights, but I decided not to use it since it would mean a bunch of code that I wasn’t sure really contributed much, and found it difficult to make 16 lights per key look good… any suggestions on a design?

Well, I see the main problem with same notes simultanuosly… though, some quantizers at least show several notes played on a keyboard (e.g. Aria’s Q’ collection and even VCV Quantizer). As a vague idea, may be it’s possible to use some kind of debug monitor with note names? Sorry, but I am not a programmer :wink:

It is less of a programming problem, and really more of a UX problem.

What is an elegant way to show 16 independent channels of note information, where the range of values is 108?

Like I said, one option I considered was having 16 tiny lights on every key. The main issues with this are; it doesn’t look great, there is a lot of waste unless you are utilising all 16 channels, and potentially a less efficient module due to the extra processing for the light states. Also, the size of the lights may be unreadable at higher zoom levels, and overall it feels clumsy and less immediate.

As you suggest, an alternative might involve using the note names; a compromise might be to have an expansion module that simply lists the note name selected for each channel (something along the lines of the Impromptu FourView)

I suppose technically you could already setup something like this, simply use the split module and send a copy of any active channels to a tuner module, such as HotTuna

1st of all, I am not so sure that in practice such a module would be often used with more than, say, 6-8 incoming notes (at least I rarely try to feed quantizers with excessive data - IMHO it’s much easier to use several quantizers for several Osc’s etc.). But if you originally had an idea of “Leviathanical” monster, capable of handling huge amount of notes at once, then my humble suggestion/wish should be definitely inappropriate :wink: Though, in the light of, to put it mildly, rather big size of you module (and obvious free space left there), may be some kind of notes info display (with e.g. “incorporated (mini) 4View-like debugger”) could be implemented anyway. And, sure, an expansion module also looks like a possible decision. Finally, I do know of course various ways to get such a visual info with additional modules :sunglasses: And the last notice: your module is a bit similar to noobhour’s Customscaler (I used it rather often in the past and as I see it comes back soon in V2). But it’s much bigger and poly-molly capable :laughing:

A single “keyboard” with lights, for one channel, that changes state to match a per channel switch?

Hallo Dan,

Have you ever considered alternative color schemes for you modules? This blue’s killing me.

1 Like

Maybe I am misunderstanding your suggestion, but is this not what the module already has?

The keyboard has a light per key, that is lit green for active notes, and the light changes to red for the quantized note on the channel selected by the all seeing eye knob

1 Like

Yes I think possibly this could be something to look into.

In the free space either side of the global transpose inputs I could have little displays that show the quantized note name for a few channels, and maybe the context menu could have an option to set which channels are displayed

Nope

For two reasons:

1 Blue is the objectively best colour :heart_eyes:

2 no one has said anything about it until now :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Seriously though, I do realise that my colour scheme is not optimal, simply from the fact that when compression or filters are added to photos and videos, the contrast between the blue and yellow is reduced and the readability suffers. I attempted to improve this with v1.2.3 where I added drop shadows to everything and made the panels have a slight gradient.

On the other hand, I have had some comments from users who really like the visual design, and changing the colour scheme or visual identity of my plugin feels like a onerous chore, so I have been avoiding it.

Possibly, slightly less of a chore, would be to implement an alternative panel scheme with a context menu toggle, like other plugins have, such as BogAudio, Count Modular & Impromptu.

If I did that, I assume you would be hoping for some sort of dark/black panel design? (In which case I might plump for a Navy & Orange scheme, since as we already know, blue is the best colour).

2 Likes

Possibly, slightly less of a chore, would be to implement an alternative panel scheme with a context menu toggle, like other plugins have, such as BogAudio, Count Modular & Impromptu.

Thank your for considering! That would be a life saver!

I’m out of head-ache pills.

Dark, light, boring grey, solid tan, whatever… You could even add one more input socket to your Bright Idea as “Color wizard CV for DanTModules exclusively”. :crazy_face:

When I typed my suggestion I did not realize that you were talking about a module that was out. I also didn’t read all of it and just spotted your question about how to display it all. Happened to have VCV open on another monitor and there was Mindmeld’s EQ Master with similar solution. Glad I didn’t bother to screen cap it, as you had already built it in. Haha. Looks great and I expect to give it a go soon. :slight_smile:

1 Like

OK, you inspired me

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CYcCJQJJv0E/

4 Likes

making progress…

9 Likes

I applaud this move away from teal.

I resent that :grin:

4 Likes

I really like the quantizer. Might I add a few suggestions? First, a cv controllable scene selector would be great. Like the one Aria’s much missed quantizer has. Second, a way to add or remove notes by trigger, like the way ML quantum does. That would also be a nice additon.

it would be nice if VCV added the ability to adjust the mouse pointer color when the room is off … maybe you can add a control input in Bright, in order to get a “disco lights” effect, red, green, blue, purple …

In any case, congratulations! Wavulike and Bright I am using them all the time. The other modules I have yet to explore.

Why doesn’t the enormous ugly yellow knob change colour ?

Just kidding :stuck_out_tongue: love the old colour scheme, no need for me to change it, but now that we can… we’ll see.

1 Like

By the way, the pop up naming on the quantizer’s transpose inputs is in the wrong place. It says “down” where it should say “up”. And also the other way round.

See, I’d say that your modules are blue not teal. And Dans are bordering on turquoise but the farther away from teal the better.