Dag2099's music video and streaming thread

Great use of phasing dag! Really like it… I did one as well, in what seems like eons ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW98RLdUSQ8 Phasing is a really interesting technique

Yes! Also it’s one of maybe two structural conceits I actually know how to do.

1 Like

Here it is, my swan song for 0.6.2. An hour long drone piece based around piong. This time it features acceleration for the paddles, actual scores and paddles that change size depending on the score difference. Also a rally counter with longest rally feature. “Actual scores” meaning it’s possible to recover the score rather than just set it. Enjoy!

It took me ages to figure all that stuff out and then how to make a piece of music that actually changes over the course of the piece based on the score. I think that, if I do another piece like this, I need to set it up so there’s a greater difference in scores. That would make things more interesting.

In other news, here is my entry to VCP-33:

Finally, I wont be moving to v1 until I’ve finished another piece and some of the modules I use get ported (waiting on Koralfx and Lindenberg in particular but also cf).
Thanks.

This is my last 0.6.2 patch. I’m moving on (though I did say I might put up a half hour video of a moderately aggressive drum thing I just streamed). Anyway, I’m not happy with the sound in this one. I don’t have the engineering skills to fix it so i’m just putting it out. It’s designed to be relaxing. Here, try it:

Now I feel that I can install v1 without worrying too much.
2 Likes

Wow ! such a nice atmosphere :slight_smile: i really liked it

1 Like

Here is my first Youtube video (though not my first patch) using V1.0.
It’s a simple phasing piece that would be much harder without polyphony:

Edit: Poly is definatelly making some things easier but I find myself thinking “oooh, what would [module x] sound like with poly?” and then the module is still mono. Particularly poly cv control, I think that’s going to have an effect on people. Hopefully more modules will be updated as time goes on. Right now I’m waiting for a good poly sequencer that lets me do the things I want rather than having to bolt stuff together.
Lastly shout out to @Coirt for Polymix. If I use poly at all I’m using it. It fulfills a really direct need.

1 Like

Cheers, glad you are enjoying it and find it useful! There is no need to use another mixer :wink:

You can chain like this but you lose the send return on the chained bar the first in the chain.

If you want to use it as a 16 channel with send/return on each mixer. I’d recommend something like this:

If you send L/R to Valley or other stereo processors you could use both Aux levels like a pan.

1 Like

I saw the screenshot of that configuration when i was reading the manual and I do plan to give it a try. I’m sure it works but i’d rather use polymix as a sort of halfway measure where it is used to integrate polyphonic stuff into a monophonic/stereo environment. For that it’s really useful. Ideally everything would just be polyphonic innately and we wouldn’t have to worry but right now that isn’t possible. Thx.

It integrates also. The mono signal of a single poly channel input is duplicated to the right output depending on what position the channels pan is (constant power), is how much of the opposite signal is attenuated.

1 Like

How far can you take this polyphony business? Pretty far i’d say. One quantizer feeding the same notes to three different oscilators in somewhat different forms.

2 Likes

Well, what the hell is this? Oh, more phasing. This time with poly, sync and FM:

2 Likes

That’s just a lovely chorded melody dag, very nice! Yeah, I’ve been experimenting with the same and it’s surprisingly easy to get really nice results. Polyphony is a killer feature in Rack 1.

Like a band of mice trying to learn how to play the trombone… cracked me up :smile:

1 Like

Decided to make a quick patch based on a harmonic oscillator idea, along with some 80’s sounding drums. In fact, one of my favourite results of the transition to v1 has been the Autodafe “sample based” drum modules.
Quite happy with the results:

3 Likes

Wow, from the 2:30 mark, sounds really crazy and interesting!

1 Like

More adventures in polyphony and ambience:

Triad is generating 3 sequences of notes. The first is 3, the second is six and the third is 12. These are used as a bass line, a chord sequence and an arpeggio.
I think I could’ve put a bit more eq on the chords, they’re a bit hissy.
The original version had more patterns in the sequencer but I thought it was pointless variation and detracted from the original idea.

The “No Eyeball” Blues is a piece of synthy, moodiness that I first came up with on stream.

1 Like

Ambient with drone:

Another patch that I initially came up with on stream.
It’s always interesting to look at new ways to get movement in a patch. I’m using the pulse width from clocked to control the length of the harmonics in Verbo.
Edit to add that I’ve forgotten to link some of my recent vcp entries here. The first 2 are a bit experimental and hit or miss. The other 2 are pretty good in my view. As always feedback is appreciated:

3 Likes

This “Trying to calm the machine” is lovely @dag2099 !

2 Likes

Thanks. I keep trying with these “nice” bits of music but I think my natural tendencies are towards “nasty”.