Could not load patch: Unarchiver could not write file to dir: could not unlink. Help Please

I know this is a repeat, but can’t we all be more patient with each other?

2 Likes

@ScreenSlave Can you try looking in the Files and Folders category in the Privacy Preferences near Full disk access and let me know if VCV is set to have permissions there please?

With this switched on

this goes grey

when its off

Is your user folder on iCloud?

no

Screenshot 2022-05-25 at 14.22.06

Just to report that I had the same exact problem as OP, and deleting the contents of the “autosave” folder worked like a charm.

1 Like

Deleting the autosave folder usually fixes this problem on Windows machines, but not on MacOS.

Some have advised that it is not a good idea to delete the autosave folder contents. If someone has a definitive knowledge on this question, please let us know.

1 Like

Bump because after a hiatus following the recent upgrade, this is happening again. It happened just now with one of my own patches, a file that has never been archived or unarchived.

Since the last time I have upgraded both my OS and VCV Rack, including a full delete of the old version.

I have sent another bug report in to Support but I never got any reply to the last one in July so I’m not holding my breath. Maybe they don’t reply to bug reports, maybe they have little experience with the Mac OS. I am extremely frustrated and disappointed that this is still happening. I don’t know if there’s any point in creating any new patches, and opening existing patches has become like Russian Roulette.

I realise that any replies here will at best be sympathy, but I needed to vent. [/rant]

1 Like

just set the autosave/modules folder to read-write and load patch again. Can be dome with Rack running after it spits out the error and you dismiss it. I know, bandaid, but at least it’s not too hard to solve. I have heard that they are aware of this and are working to fix it, however maybe they haven’t been able to repro it? That would make it hard to catch

That didn’t help but thx :slight_smile:

I’m having this too suddenly since last week. I’m on macos too. Haven’t contacted support yet (i will) but I hoped this forum would have the solution.

I can’t be super helpful, but my mate with MAC lap had to do several permission related corrections to system and folders. First he had to go into system settings and give VCV permission to access folders and files. Then he had to go specifically to the plugins folder within Rack2 folder and set permissions at the folder level also. Then he was moving forward ok.

1 Like

OK I’ve been struggling with this for months, and this is the first piece of advice that actually worked for me :pray:

I already had given VCV Rack Full Disk Access in System Settings - no change

I ran Onyx to repair permissions - no change

I changed the permissions of the plugins folder to Read&Write for Everyone, applying this to all enclosed files - no change

then … I changed the permissions of the Rack2 folder to Read&Write for Everyone, applying this to all enclosed files

BAZINGA!

:yum:

Mac OS Ventura - Intel iMac 2019 - VCV Rack 2.2. Free

3 Likes

I spoke too soon - it worked for some files I couldn’t open but not for others - I’ll keep trying with the permissions settings. That seems to be the solution.

You need to give your ~/Documents/Rack2/autosave/modules folder and all included read-write access, some operation appears to switch it to read only willy nilly. Can be done with Rack running if it happens at runtime.

Reportedly fixed in next Rack2 builds

1 Like

Last night i got annoyed and just removed that folder as a whole. After a restart i saw it made a new one and so far it seems to work. Fingers crossed.

Hmm… seems like newer macOS might be going down the same route as Windows to combat ransomware, by protecting write access to directories under Documents, and their sub-directories. @Vortico - maybe something needs to be/can be done in the Rack Mac installer, to let macOS know that the Documents/Rack2/ directory needs to be written by the application? There’s gotta be some macOS handle that can be used for this, otherwise half the bloody third-party Mac applications would fail.

That is good news :slight_smile:

1 Like

I did this and no change. I also just upgraded to VCV Rack v2.2.3 and no change.

Can I ask, where did you hear this from? And is “next Rack build” the current version 2.2.3 or a future one?