Constructing a Befaco even waveform with VCO Lab

I wondered what it would take to create a waveform like the Befaco Even. I ran across a simple formula on ModWiggler

I was able to create it with two oscillators, with the saw at double the frequency. But the phase relationship between the two oscillators would slowly shift. I could lock it in with a hard sync, but I wondered if I could create the waveform using only primitive waveforms at the same frequency.

I figured it out with VCO Lab!

• Saw 100%, phase 0 degrees
  • Square 50%, phase 0 degrees
  • Sine 63.5%, phase 90 degrees

VCO Lab even wave.vcv (3.7 KB)

Note how the triangle level has been configured to disable the mix output in order to save on CPU. It isn’t needed in the mix, or as the raw waveform, so there is no need to compute the waveform. This is generally a good tip for saving CPU with VCO Lab.

Also note that the Analyze modules have amplitude configured for -120 dB, so the output sounds much cleaner than it looks.

The hard sync for Befaco Even for VCV has always been disabled. Now VCO Lab lets you experiment on the even waveform with hard sync, soft sync, phase mod, etc.!

I am toying with the idea of formally adding the even waveform to the upcoming VCO Unit, and maybe even the VCO Lab itself. But adding it to VCO Lab would make an already oversized module even bigger.

4 Likes

it’s size is just fine, and another vertical row won’t make it worse IMHO. It’s a powerhouse of sound design already.

my ancient “basic VCO” has this waveform. It’s pretty cool. The waveform, that is.

2 Likes

Maybe this can be used to help check the beta hard sync Befaco fix

With some simple math I can smoothly transition from square (odd harmonics) to saw (all harmonics) to even (even harmonics + fundamental).

VCO Lab Morph Square-Saw-Even.vcv (3.8 KB)

Now I am thinking that if I add the even waveform to VCO Unit (or maybe VCO Lab), I will simply add an additional shape mode to the saw waveform to do this transition. Fully counterclockwise would be square. Noon (no modulation) would be saw. And fully clockwise would be even.

7 Likes