Coirt - v1.2.2 Beta testers welcome

Currently in pre-release beta available for windows here. I do not have builds for other OS’s available, if anyone wishes to compile the source is available in the repository (v1.2.2).

Beta testers will be greatly appreciated. 2 new modules and optimisations made to other modules. New modules include:

SHTH: The first of true polyphonic module that uses the module parameters per channel. Sample and Hold or Track and Hold which has parameters for Scale and Offset. (True being in the sense of not that fake stuff where you can’t set knobs for different channels on the same module.) It will sample internal (basic white noise) or external audio or CV sources independently per channel and it can also convert a bi-polar signal to uni-polar.

MUD: Is an Attenuating EQ may be useful for kick drums. I found it very useful for filtering noise and send that to SHTH. It is really for getting the 200hz muddiness out of kicks but it can also add some MUD, when used on a parallel channel on a PolyMIx it can give a kick some nice lift.

There is videos available here showing some early features of SHTH. Just note some bugs are present in the video’s but the usefulness of the module is shown even with bugs:

6 Likes

I will give a try tomorrow…

I just tried thema bit,

here is a little patch I came up with:

Testpatch

2020_02_20_Bark_122_test_001.vcv (79.0 KB)

one idea: when I choose the number of channels in Poly X these channels should be set active imho,

this would be more logic for me and avoid some headaches for many users :wink: or maybe not???

1 Like

Ah yes this could cause some confusion. There’s logic behind the behaviour.

The thing about Poly X is I needed a way to set Level and Pan on different channels on Poly Mix. When you connect to this the Open/Mute states set pan to centre and level to 1 or 0. If there is only 1 input to the Poly Pan in on Poly Mix this will set non connected channels to 1 it would be panned right, if any other channel is not connected for level it would mute that channel so setting this to open (1) sets the level for that channel to fader level.

Perhaps what I could do is make the channel area a button to quick mute / unmute all based on the number of channels.

chArea

That’s a really nice module, simple and practical. I’ve noticed a few things though:

1. Maybe it’s possible to have a selection of how many polyphonic channels are active so there’s no need to merge gates or use another module for that. So we could choose for example 5 channels, and 5 channels will be active with only one gate in the input.

2. When using it polyphonically, the first channel is the only one that has the internal noise on, all the other have it off. I think it’s better if they are all the same. Also the scale is different I see now.

3. Also, when using it polyphonically, I think it’s better if the input is normalized to all other channels so there’s no need to use another module for merging the signal.

1. I’ll look into this but it may require a rewrite as the number of channels comes from the gate signal only.

2. Is a bug which has now been fixed in the release, thank you. I was not initializing the values to the default state.

3. Is this the same as #1?

this would be helpfull imho :+1:

Done! I also set the default number of channels to 4.

2 Likes

:+1:

@Omri_Cohen I’ve added context menu items for overriding the gate signal. When this option is set a menu becomes available and you can set the number of channels manually based on the input to the Gate In. It will copy the gate signal to n channels selected. I will have an updated beta build possibly tomorrow which will be the one submitted to the Library.

Not sure if anyone has noticed but parameters only update on their gate on signal I am on the fence about this.

• If a gate signal is slow enough (no perceivable change will occur until gate on).
  • You would have to wait on the gate to trigger a param change.
  • On slow gates this might not suit everyone but my thinking behind it:
    • you are concentrating on setting the params to the rhythm of the gate.
    • it is focused changes and will always be in time.
  • On fast gates changes occur more frequently.

However, inverting the signal changing to bi-polar decreasing or increasing offset or scale etc on a slow gate can be very useful if you know what the change you made will do on the next gate signal.

• Stuff like setting a triangle LFO to Track and Hold
  • Switching Track and Hold to internal noise or back to Sample and Hold etc occurs on gate on, the sample will be held for amount of time the gate is opened for.

Basically you can queue triggered changes and they will be in time with the gate.

1 Like

new build v1.2.3a this will be submitted to Library

https://github.com/Coirt/Bark/releases/download/v1.2.3/Bark-1.2.3a-win.zip

1 Like