Closing the (Squinky) Lab

No. I compiled the v1 code with an upgraded tool chain. v2 plugin building with the tool chain is still a work in progress. v2 modules will not be officially available in the library until the official VCV Rack 2 release date.

If they are forked/migrated will they be backwards compatible?

This is sad news, youā€™ve been such an active member and helped so many people. You will be missed.

Iā€™m sure a v2 port of your modules will turn up in no time, what happens to them after that will be interesting to watch.

2 Likes

Thanks. For a long time booty shifter was the only frequency shifter in VCV. Then Surge came along. Theirs is technically better than mine, but the ā€œuser experienceā€ is maybe worse (I just copied everything from the original). However, if you do find yourself without booty, you should try that one.

2 Likes

Bruce if I may be so informal, all your stories of electronica celebrities will be missed so much! Please write a book about your life in music and electronics!

U have such a wealth of experience dating back to Tape manipulation to Voyetra 8 and then the 1st digital sequencer programme. All your advice will be missed by so many.

Good bless your cotton socks, the angel of VCV Rack is departing, so sad!! Whatever you do you will succeed at! :joy: :sob: :angel:

9 Likes

So long and thanks for all the fish indeed! Iā€™ve used your modules quite frequently in my patches ā€¦ which will then be unplayable in v2. But I fully understand, the time and effort invested must balance out with the benefits and if it no longer does ā€¦ cā€™est la vie.Donā€™t be a stranger, thatā€™s all I can say.

1 Like

Thanks for all the modules and development advice!

2 Likes

Iā€™ve heard from a couple of people interested in doing the port, so it may happen. Thanks for the message .

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your modules and the chance to peruse one of the best open source projects Iā€™ve come across. My DSP learning journey will continue with your work.

All the best mate.

Thank you!

Well, how to react to this? I was thinking of building a patch that plays ā€œNe me quitte pasā€ using only Squinky Labs modules, but that may be oversentimental and missing the point. Itā€™s certainly not my job to make you reconsider your decision. (Also I couldnā€™t find a way to set the grid of the Seq++ to a 9/8 time signature.) Iā€™ve always been a huge fan of Squinky Labs modules. They are technically very good, very straightforward and extremely easy to work with. So the news that other people are alredy working on ports for V2 makes me very happy. You will be missed, Bruce. Thanks and all the best.

3 Likes

They shall live on, port is going well so far it seems, so no need to fear the worst :wink:

5 Likes

Thanks!

2 Likes

They have to live on!!

They are alive :wink:

2 Likes

Iā€™m not updating to VCV 2.0 then.

A synthesizer without a proper Frequency Shifter is a toy in my opinion.

You make the ONLY proper one on the entire VCV Rack site.

A shame.

Hi Doug, as others have mentioned before all Squinky Labs modules are migrated to v2 and are tested and working. If or when you migrate to version 2, is of course your own choice but this shouldnā€™t be dependent on the availability of Squinky Labs modules.

2 Likes

Speaking of frequency shifters, would you be interested in making this modification Robert:

If not, are you open to a pull request for it? It could be made without breaking patch compatibility.

Thanks for continuing the Squinky journey in VCV Rack!

5 Likes

I will raise an issue/request in the new repo and copy the FR over. Although I am not against pull requests I will pick this one up myself.

FeatureRequest: Make Booty Shifter stereo Ā· Issue #43 Ā· kockie69/SquinkyVCV-main (github.com)

4 Likes

I second this request - I love the Booty Shifter and often wish it could pitch-shift a stereo signal

1 Like