Closing the (Squinky) Lab

Hi Bruce, sad to see you will be closing Squinky.

I really do enjoy your modules, and some of them are in nearly all my patches.

Even though the Organ module didn’t receive a lot of love in the community, i am really very impressed by its sound, that’s just one to name!

I hope your plugin will somehow make it to V2, and that at some point we might see something new/else from you.

All the best, take care! Latif

6 Likes

Thanks for all your time @Squinky not only have I used your modules, but I have learned a great deal from your forum posts, papers, example repos ect. I based all my modules on your testing and profiling code. Doing so has been the single biggest improvement I have made in my coding journey.

You have always brought me great joy, your persistence as the antialiasing police is to be admired, will you still be holding this position?

Good luck with the future, hope to see you around the community. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Why, what’s wrong?

Nooooooooo :scream_cat:

Srsly, good luck with whatever you do next :metal:

1 Like

I’m very sad (and more than a little surprised) to hear this Bruce - Squinky Labs modules are some of the very best in Rack and your championing of anti-aliasing /oversampling and guides to module development have helped improve the ecosystem for all. Thank you for everything you have made and done in Rack and all the best for whatever you do next.

I’m sure your modules will be ported to V2 by others in time - they are just too good to vanish into obscurity - Roll on “Resquink” :wink:

6 Likes

Keep that thought, Robert Kock on FB said he was looking into porting those :wink: so hey may need to use em after all, given you already spent all that time on em :wink:

Just getting build env sorted again, currently building Rack v2 from source… So might also give some stuff a shot, good practice anyhow to get my C++ and build chops betterd… C++ I can read fine, writing it is an entirely different matter, but if I have to change/adapt a few things I am sure I could figure that out, possibly with some help from all the devs already into or done with v2 conversion…

1 Like

Wish you the best whatever you end up doing or developing next! I think you’ll have no problem building the next greatest thing. Maintaining a project for 3 years is a big chunk of your lifetime, but free/open-source software is powerful/resilient because it lives as long as there are programmers on earth to inspect the code.

10 Likes

Good luck Bruce, and thanks for all the modules, knowledge and code! There definitely seems to be some take-up for porting, but if ever that is not done, I know of a few Squinky modules that I would like to adopt, so it’s nice to see the code will live on. Cheers my friend!

4 Likes

Thanks for everything and good luck :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sorry to see you go, thanks & all the best!

2 Likes

All the best for the future. Thanks for sharing your knowledge, research and insights these past few years.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for all your hard work! Truly fantastic modules gave us hours of enjoyment! Wish you all the bests in the future!

2 Likes

Hey Bruce!

I am very sad to hear this! I love some of your modules dearly!

Thank you for your fine contributions and your involvement here in this forum! I learned quite a bit thanks to you!

All the best to you!

dDom

3 Likes

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone! For sure I’ll be be around. And, no, I don’t expect to continue making enemies (and friends, I guess) being “the quality police”.

I have heard a few people threaten to bring these modules to V2, so we will see.

19 Likes

what can I add to all the comments that hasn’t been said already?
Just let me thank you Bruce
for modules and your commitment to the VCV community,
may you have a bright future and may your modules live forever

5 Likes

:frowning: :disappointed_relieved: :sob: Thanks for all your hard work on Squinky Labs modules!

4 Likes

THANKS for all your work - looks like it’s time for me to start bugging people to make a Booty Shifter for 2.0, because I cannot possibly live without that module

1 Like

Indeed, nothing left to say–just enjoy your next adventures to the utmost, and always remember the music you helped so many others create and the learning you passed on! (Not to mention the phenomenal stories and recollections…)

It will always be good to see you whenever you swing on by.

2 Likes

Man, I just spent the weekend upgrading the tool chain to the latest and greatest compilers in the world and testing with your plugin suite. We are ready for more Squinky in v2! :slight_smile:

Anyhow, thank you for your passion and efforts in developing those modules. A lot of them are used in my own patches and I sincerely hope that someone will pick up the torch and carry it forward. All the best for your future adventures.

5 Likes

Are you saying you have succesfully built the squinky modules against the 2.0 SDK? If so, are you planning to make them available in the library?