Closing the (Squinky) Lab

Squinky Labs will not be porting our VCV modules to VCV 2.0, nor do I expect to be updating our GitHub repo at GitHub - squinkylabs/SquinkyVCV: Virtual synthesizer modules for VCV Rack.

Of course anyone who cares to may update them, modify them, re-use pieces of them, re-release them, as long as the terms of the license are followed.

I am very appreciative of the people who have been using the various module – some as far back as 2018. Especially the testers who have put in many, many hours testing version after version of some of these modules.

It looks like VCV 2.0 is going to be a very nice update, btw.

18 Likes

So long and thanks for all the fish! You have contributed a wealth of knowledge and amazing modules. CompII, Formants, and Saws are really some of my favorite modules, and your tutorials on avoiding aliasing and general tips on aliasing have really helped.

5 Likes

thank you. That’s very nice to hear. Yeah, those modules you mention were for sure “hits”. It would be great if someone re-uses some of that.

1 Like

Really sad to hear this. Thank you for some truly great modules; your collection has been a staple in most of my patches. I cannot imagine a patch without Saws and Stairway. Thank you for the knowledge you have imparted along the way too.

1 Like

hey - thanks for that! Maybe you can make your own saws from there? Saws is not very complicated. Esp if you get rid of the oversampling, which seems to be the way people roll now. Stairway is a bit more of a complicated mess. Probably still easy to port, but it will pull in a lot of other crazy code…

1 Like

I’ve got my work cut out for me updating my collections to 2.0 but after that, who knows I may have a go at porting some Squinky goodness.

9 Likes

yeah, you got a lot of them! good luck.

1 Like

My fault for being a maniac!

1 Like

well, like they say, just think of @synthi ! he has so many modules that the port to 1.0 almost killed him!

5 Likes

vega looks down in shame

lol, honestly I don’t think it’s “how people roll” so much as we just don’t know how. A lot of VCV devs are hobiests with no formal DSP background. That said, I do really appreciate how much the nudges from you have pushed other devs to take notice and learn, as I think as much of an impact as your modules had directly, your impact to the overall sound quality and CPU efficiency of the ecosystem was more important.

4 Likes

thanks! And I didn’t mean to cast aspersions on your early efforts. It does seem sometimes like tilting at windmills to fight that fight. I don’t work that fast, and it takes me maybe 10 times longer to really do all the mojo to those modules. Think of all the dry rot I could fix on my house if I spent some time on that!

7 Likes

Thanks for all the modules ! When i take a look again at my patches, there is always some Squinky stuff, be it the mixer, some oscillator, etc. There are really a ton of amazing and fun modules. Wishing you good luck with your future projects, and i hope we’ll still hear of you , here or in the wider internet ^^ .

2 Likes

Thanks a bunch for all the modules. Will miss em, hope some kind soul adopts them and gives em the update love. Can’t live without Squinky modules @Squinky

4 Likes

I spent so much time on that blue Rogan knob thinking how cool your modules are going to look on V2 :frowning: Thank you for your modules and for sharing your knowledge of music technology! :blush: All the best for your future projects

6 Likes

Thank you so much for everything you have done and produced. Also thanks for your feedback, very much appreciated. I am sure we will see your products back in v2, they are to good to not be left behind in older versions. All the best and hope to see you back one day.

3 Likes

:scream_cat:

I wish you a all the best for your future projects, whatever that may be. I always loved your modules and your deep involvment here! Hope someone will port them over to VCV2. Thanks!

3 Likes

omg it’s a very sad news…but I still want to thank you for all the work you put in :beers:

will you still play with vcv rack? I wish you all the best!

3 Likes

Thanks for all the hard work you put in to your modules. Sad to see you go. Have lots of fun in the future.

1 Like

thank you a lot!

2 Likes

So many great modules, not in V2? Closing the repo? But…why? :pensive:

Take a break, go fishing, feed the cat, reconsider.

Thanks nonetheless for so much work. :slight_smile:

2 Likes