Clock divider? Which one does work?

Hey there,

For a drum sequence I am trying to “expand” a drum sequencer like this:

1. Dropped the AS BPM Clock Genrator on the rack
  2. Routet the 16ths to the SV Drum Sequencer

Worked perfectly.

Now I wanted to add more drum patterns, and since the SV plugin only allows 8 patterns, I was like “hey, use some Boolean logic”. So I went like

1. Added the Autodafe Clock Divider

What I was expecting was that the /2, /4, … gates would behave like a binary addition, like in binary numbers (rotate your head 90 degs counterclockwise ^^):

What it actually does is pretty close to random behavior, at least according to my experiments (and also according to the “blinken lights”). Any alternatives that will do the job just right?

I’m partial to the JW patterns for clock divide because the let you xor or or different dividers

2 Likes

Hi,

Perhaps the module named RKD (from Ohmer Modules) will help you? I am the author. This module is inspired from RCD, by 4ms. It have an expander, named BRK.

RKD manual : https://github.com/DomiKamu/Ohmer/blob/v2/res/Manuals/RKD_BRK_Manual.pdf

VCV Rack 2 Library: https://library.vcvrack.com/?query=&brand=Ohmer+Modules&tag=&license=

Also possible may be Klokspid, working as clock generator, or clock modifier (multiplier & divider, 4 configurable outputs).

These modules are free.

3 Likes

Hi - absolutely no news about KlirrFactory developer. Modules remains available for VCV Rack v1, but not ported to v2.

1 Like

I usually grab the mockba modular dividah for simple divider. Sometimes I use the Aspect by Fehler Fabrik, I like the lights that flash for the gates. I think most of these dividers are setup to not give a tick on the first clock, but rather wait. If you need you have to get a first tick just patch a few flipflops and use the A out each time. Best of luck hunting a useful divider!!

Aspect is what I use successfully after I ran into similar problems…

Cheers, dDom

I’ve tended to use this as it’s closest in usage to the Doepfer hardware one I have, but I can’t say I’ve pretended to do in depth testing on it.

1 Like

The new clock divider module from DocB has been my instant go to lately (as well as his PWMClock replacing clocked for me).

• 4 dividers in a small module
  • division can be modulated by cv

Before that I used the count modula one or RKD.

2 Likes

Same here. DocB’s CDiv got into my patches instantly.

2 Likes

I always use CLOCKED with as many instances chained as I need to get all of my desired multiplied and divided clocks. It never fails me.

But, I tried some of the other clocks mentioned in this topic and ended up frustrated and disappointed. So, I’m back to CLOCKED.

Note, most of my frustrations are probably as much usability issues as functional issues. With CLOCKED, I always know without a doubt what the multiplied or divided clock will be.

1 Like

I should add that in my recent patches, I have been adding a Count Modula “MASTER RESET” module to each instance of CLOCKED so that I can better handle reset behavior for complex multi-sequencer patches. To a large extent, I do this because I use the Count Modula “SWITCH 8-1” sequential switch as my primary sequencer. MASTER RESET was designed specifically for optimal use with the Count Module sequencers.

Handling resets is a tricky and trial and error endeavor, that i n my experience has to be fine-tuned for each sequencer brand used.

1 Like

I’ve recently got into using a clock divider with Topograph/Grids and NOR logic so that if the divisor tick trigger comes in and neither of the first two Grids channels, which I use to drive kick and snare, is firing then the trigger is passed to the module I’m interested in, whether it be a tom or more often just some noise based percussion thing from Befaco Noise Plethora. Or I fork from that tick based on one or more Branches to multiple sources, but it’s cool to know no sonic toe treading is taking place.

Thank you tons people!

And apologizes for the late answer. VCV is an amazing piece of software, but the most amazing thing about it is this evermore alive, kicking and helpful community!

@ the one who suggested the flip-flop idea: in the business world, this stuff is my bread’n’butter everyday life, as in software as in hardware. Still, as creating music is just a recreational thing to me, I’m not running VCV on a high-end computer with a Petaflop processor. People like me who think that everything is “NAND” instantly try to create your suggested solution, but sadly my not-so-powerful notebook showed the red flag when run… err, stumbling along my setup ^^