Caribbean Steel drums

Thank you for the tool. It works fine!

Here’s the converted sfz: Dropbox - steeldrum_sfz.zip - Simplify your life

oh, cool. Someone else here told me about it.

so - anyone who wants to cheat and use samples - and say completely within VCV - try that file from @Ahornberg .

1 Like

Never really felt the need to add Dogme 95 style rules to music making, but I guess it worked out ok for Brian Eno.

Thank you Squinky, I tried FM Kitchen Sink and just got a bad drone out of it. I have seen and heard other patches work fine with it but I can’t get much out of it, not sure what I’m doing wrong!?

Thanks so much, now I have another option. Much appreciated. I find samples easier to manipulate than build the whole thing in VCV Rack, however I do feel that I am cheating some how.
How goes it with the Tascam style controllers for Tape Recorder any progress?

1 Like

Thanks Yeager for these 2 wonderful patches, they both sound good. I was working on it using AI Macros 1+2 and Modal Synthesizer but I got bell sounds without the actual Steel drum sound. I got frustrated with that and nearly gave up!

1 Like

Thanks, I have tried to download this twice and not got it unfortunately. However I have downloaded this:
MagicDrum Lite | Quiet Music

It is truly beautiful, it gives a very similar ambient tone to the Cloudrum and takes less time to download.

Thanks to everyone, here are the results of the 3 different methods

Squinky SFZ Steel pan drum trial in Three different synthesis methods for Caribbean Steel Drums (soundcloud.com)

2 Likes

well - is it cheating, or not? Who is to say. If you are really into the sound-design aspect of mudular, then it’s sort of “cheating”, But it you are into the random process part or the composition part, then it’s not cheating at all. Do whatever you want :wink:

Thanks Squinky, I find using samples/SF2/SFZ files easier for certain sounds. I am all for the random process part. There are so many options in VCV Rack, none are right or wrong.

Here is one I made with Boss Fight (FM), I personally love this one, what do you think ?

SteelDrum - 22072021-2triggers3d-small.vcv (98.4 KB)

hi, i downloaded the rom files, but how could i load it into dexter? could you pls describe how to to that? regards karl

You can’t @mosphaere was joking , it’s not EASY at all, you can load it in Dexed see pic.

And then you have to copy the settings MANUALLY see pic.

Into 6 fm synths.

Hey, I downloaded your vcv patches, but I can’t make any sounds with it. I’m using a midi controller (a small keyboard), but it doesn’t make any sounds, except for when I import the patch to the app. Since I am a beginner in modular, I’m almost sure it’s something I’m missing or that i don’t understand, so could you explain it if you can ?

Could you post a screenshot of the patch ?

edit: I’m using cardinal btw

Connect clock 3 to the trigger of D Gate.

afbeelding

It should make a noise when you start the clock(ed) but you are missing some modules like Nysthi Ratchet.

Then, if possible, could you screenshot the full patch just to see what I’m missing ? I’ll try to recreate it. Also thank you for helping me out :+1:.

Edit: Try to screenshot the better version of the first patch or the one where you used fm.

1 Like

I attempted a steel pan sound using my emulation of the Roland JX-8P and PG-800. I think it turned out OK.

The JX-8P has 2 VCOs, 1 filter, 1 VCA, and 2 envelope generators per voice, plus an LFO and a chorus effect.

I saved the “patch” in slot 33 - the upper right lit button in the blue 8Face section. The first 32 slots hold my attempt at emulating the first 32 factory presets.

For this emulation I configured the midi for 2 voice polyphony with 2 voice detuned unison.

I can’t play keyboard for shit, but I figure I have to give some kind of demo. Don’t judge me! The keyboard I am using is an Arturia Microbrute, which does have velocity, but not after touch. I don’t think steel pan could make use of aftertouch any way.

The video shows the user interface (the PG-800 portion of the emulator), and not much else.

Venom JX-8P Steel Pan.vcv (88.2 KB)

4 Likes

I’ve been experimenting with FM so this is my take on it. Only 6 of the operators are used on this 9 operator FM synth. The white cables are the FM links. Operator 2 has the feedback loop. I like to lay out the operators in the pattern of the algorithm diagram.

I used Algorithm 15 from Dexed as a starting point, but then got bored trying to translate the settings.

The second Carrier (OP-3) is tuned an octave above the first carrier (Op-1). The primary modulators (Op-2/4) have a small amount of attack, which gives it the ‘Bwaah’. These modulators are also slightly detuned to give the harsh metallic sound.

Play pairs of notes for full effect.

FM Synth 9 Operators Algorithm 15 Steel Drums.vcv (18.9 KB)

1 Like

Until you click the button below the level knob, the envelope in Kitchen Sink doesn’t effect volume.