Caribbean Steel drums

Here is one I made with Boss Fight (FM), I personally love this one, what do you think ?

SteelDrum - 22072021-2triggers3d-small.vcv (98.4 KB)

hi, i downloaded the rom files, but how could i load it into dexter? could you pls describe how to to that? regards karl

You can’t @mosphaere was joking , it’s not EASY at all, you can load it in Dexed see pic.

And then you have to copy the settings MANUALLY see pic.

Into 6 fm synths.

Hey, I downloaded your vcv patches, but I can’t make any sounds with it. I’m using a midi controller (a small keyboard), but it doesn’t make any sounds, except for when I import the patch to the app. Since I am a beginner in modular, I’m almost sure it’s something I’m missing or that i don’t understand, so could you explain it if you can ?

Could you post a screenshot of the patch ?

edit: I’m using cardinal btw

Connect clock 3 to the trigger of D Gate.

afbeelding

It should make a noise when you start the clock(ed) but you are missing some modules like Nysthi Ratchet.

Then, if possible, could you screenshot the full patch just to see what I’m missing ? I’ll try to recreate it. Also thank you for helping me out :+1:.

Edit: Try to screenshot the better version of the first patch or the one where you used fm.

1 Like

I attempted a steel pan sound using my emulation of the Roland JX-8P and PG-800. I think it turned out OK.

The JX-8P has 2 VCOs, 1 filter, 1 VCA, and 2 envelope generators per voice, plus an LFO and a chorus effect.

I saved the “patch” in slot 33 - the upper right lit button in the blue 8Face section. The first 32 slots hold my attempt at emulating the first 32 factory presets.

For this emulation I configured the midi for 2 voice polyphony with 2 voice detuned unison.

I can’t play keyboard for shit, but I figure I have to give some kind of demo. Don’t judge me! The keyboard I am using is an Arturia Microbrute, which does have velocity, but not after touch. I don’t think steel pan could make use of aftertouch any way.

The video shows the user interface (the PG-800 portion of the emulator), and not much else.

Venom JX-8P Steel Pan.vcv (88.2 KB)

4 Likes

I’ve been experimenting with FM so this is my take on it. Only 6 of the operators are used on this 9 operator FM synth. The white cables are the FM links. Operator 2 has the feedback loop. I like to lay out the operators in the pattern of the algorithm diagram.

I used Algorithm 15 from Dexed as a starting point, but then got bored trying to translate the settings.

The second Carrier (OP-3) is tuned an octave above the first carrier (Op-1). The primary modulators (Op-2/4) have a small amount of attack, which gives it the ‘Bwaah’. These modulators are also slightly detuned to give the harsh metallic sound.

Play pairs of notes for full effect.

FM Synth 9 Operators Algorithm 15 Steel Drums.vcv (18.9 KB)

1 Like

Until you click the button below the level knob, the envelope in Kitchen Sink doesn’t effect volume.