breaking point, sound effects

i would like to hear how people make stuff to sound like its breaking/broken and glitchy stuff :slight_smile:

and some ways to make a sound like someone is screaming!

screenshots, sounds and/or explanation of how you do it would be useful

I like to make things sound unstable, if that counts, by, for instance:

• let pitch drift, LifeFormModular has a dedicated module, otherwise I mix a tiny bit of Walk or Caudal into the v/oct
  • in arpeggiated or similar voices I often use a random, occasional trigger to briefly increase the envelope’s attack time here and there. And in general: a seldom, random trig > Nysthi AD > something
  • changing an analog delay’s time in tiny increments
  • wavetable oscs may have a modulation for the wave’s phase. Pushing that around makes some nice tape wow/flutter. (Blamsoft :disappointed_relieved:)
  • noise is a friend
  • also, plugins: Wires, Home Corrupter, Tape Mello-Fi

there was a scream thread earlier:

we are for sure on the same page here! ^^

those subtle ways of adding life is so useful. what about occasionally pushing sounds closer to the breaking point, any tips? if you have any more expamples id love to hear them. feels like i need to explore FM more for the craziness

thats great! ill look there. thanks

My favourite modules for crunch would be (generous reverb with) Audible Instruments Meta Modulator, FehlerFabrik’s Rasoir (I believe the V2 version of the collection should be released soon) and in recent patches I’ve been toying with what’s coming out of here:

video

broken.vcvs (9.3 KB)

this is completly new to me, so im excited. thanks

1 Like

thats cool. ill copy it exactly as a good exercise

soon is now:

1 Like

Hello Jens, the broken.vcvs file won’t open, should it be a vcvss file so that it opens in Stoermelder Strip? Happy New Year to you!

1 Like

no - it’s saved as a selection - but it crashes Rack2.0.5 free when imported.

[29.467 info src/app/RackWidget.cpp:933 loadSelection] Loading selection C:\Users\jpn99\Documents\Rack2\selections\broken.vcvs
[29.467 info src/rtaudio.cpp:51 RtAudioDevice] Creating RtAudio WASAPI context
[29.474 info src/rtaudio.cpp:124 openStream] Opening RtAudio WASAPI device 6: OUT 01-02 (BEHRINGER UMC 1820) (0 in, 2 out, 44100 sample rate, 256 block size)
[29.488 info src/rtaudio.cpp:136 openStream] Starting RtAudio WASAPI device 6
[29.488 info src/rtaudio.cpp:146 openStream] Opened RtAudio WASAPI device 6
[29.488 info src/window/Svg.cpp:28 loadFile] Loaded SVG H:/VCV/Rack2Free_2.0.5/res/Core/Audio2.svg
[30.649 info src/window/Svg.cpp:28 loadFile] Loaded SVG C:/Users/jpn99/Documents/Rack2/plugins/NYSTHI/res/PolySevenSeas2.svg
[30.650 info src/window/Svg.cpp:28 loadFile] Loaded SVG C:/Users/jpn99/Documents/Rack2/plugins/NYSTHI/res/ctrls/pyer/colored_pj301m_styled/PJ301M_18_IN.svg
[30.650 info src/window/Svg.cpp:28 loadFile] Loaded SVG C:/Users/jpn99/Documents/Rack2/plugins/NYSTHI/res/ctrls/pyer/colored_pj301m_styled/PJ301M_18_INPULSE.svg
[30.650 info src/window/Svg.cpp:28 loadFile] Loaded SVG C:/Users/jpn99/Documents/Rack2/plugins/NYSTHI/res/ctrls/jojo/jojoWhiteKnob15fg.svg
[30.650 info src/window/Svg.cpp:28 loadFile] Loaded SVG C:/Users/jpn99/Documents/Rack2/plugins/NYSTHI/res/ctrls/jojo/jojoWhiteKnob15bg.svg
[30.651 info src/window/Svg.cpp:28 loadFile] Loaded SVG C:/Users/jpn99/Documents/Rack2/plugins/NYSTHI/res/ctrls/nyTapperUp18.svg
[30.651 info src/window/Svg.cpp:28 loadFile] Loaded SVG C:/Users/jpn99/Documents/Rack2/plugins/NYSTHI/res/ctrls/nyTapperDown18.svg
[30.651 info src/window/Svg.cpp:28 loadFile] Loaded SVG C:/Users/jpn99/Documents/Rack2/plugins/NYSTHI/res/ctrls/leds/led12.svg
[30.651 info src/window/Svg.cpp:28 loadFile] Loaded SVG C:/Users/jpn99/Documents/Rack2/plugins/NYSTHI/res/ctrls/jojo/jojoWhiteKnob18fg.svg
[30.651 info src/window/Svg.cpp:28 loadFile] Loaded SVG C:/Users/jpn99/Documents/Rack2/plugins/NYSTHI/res/ctrls/jojo/jojoWhiteKnob18bg.svg
[30.651 info src/window/Svg.cpp:28 loadFile] Loaded SVG C:/Users/jpn99/Documents/Rack2/plugins/NYSTHI/res/ctrls/pyer/colored_pj301m_styled/PJ301M_18_INCV.svg
[30.652 info src/window/Svg.cpp:28 loadFile] Loaded SVG C:/Users/jpn99/Documents/Rack2/plugins/NYSTHI/res/ctrls/jojo/jojoWhiteKnob22fg.svg
[30.652 info src/window/Svg.cpp:28 loadFile] Loaded SVG C:/Users/jpn99/Documents/Rack2/plugins/NYSTHI/res/ctrls/jojo/jojoWhiteKnob22bg.svg

the last entries in log.txt ‘Grawlixes

Ok, not the end of the world I have copied the screenshot and rebuilt it. It’s more educational that way. Much appreciated.

I had an audio device selected in the selection - It crashed because the audio device was allready in use (or in your case, non-existing ASIO Behringer UMC-1820)

I have exported a new one without audio devices selected.

try this instead.

broken_noaudiodevice.vcvs (9.3 KB)

Silly question, but how do you open this type of file :woozy_face:

Not silly at all.

Thanks, another way to pass files around is a good thing.