Biset Blank, oh my what a module!

Tried to find a Biset module thread where to post this, sorry if it exists and I missed it… :slight_smile: But OHHH how delightful this one is! And useful.

Basically, it animates patch cords based on the actual signals going through them (you can set the intensity from the context menu), and also shows you a popup scope of the signal present in a particular cable when mousing over a connector. Brilliant. Thanks a lot for making this!

11 Likes

Too bad it crashes rack :frowning_face: Windows 10

[6.836 fatal adapters/standalone.cpp:49 fatalSignalHandler] Fatal signal 22. Stack trace:
13:  0x0
12: raise 0x7ffce70cabe0
11: abort 0x7ffce70cf1e0
10: wassert 0x7ffce70cd210
9: ZN4rack3app10RackWidget17getCompleteCablesEv 0x7ffc88464ce0
8: ZN5Blank7processERKN4rack6engine6Module11ProcessArgsE 0x7ffc7f584f00
7: ZN4rack6engine6Module9doProcessERKNS1_11ProcessArgsE 0x7ffc88475230
6: ZN4rack6engine12EngineWorker3runEv 0x7ffc88470d60
5: atomic_flag_test_and_set_explicit 0x7ffcb6e1be00
4: pthread_create_wrapper 0x7ffcdece4c70
3: beginthreadex 0x7ffce70dae30
2: endthreadex 0x7ffce70daf80
1: BaseThreadInitThunk 0x7ffce6347330
0: RtlUserThreadStart 0x7ffce8202690

Aawwww. Dang. I primarily tested it in Windows 10, too, didn’t get a crash. Hopefully something straightforward enough to remedy.

1 Like

Got it when reopening a patch, so it crashes when I close rack, and I only find out it crashed after restarting Rack.

1 Like

Yeah, I can confirm, am able to make it do exactly this, and not OS specific, i.e. also does this on Linux.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the support and the crash report !

The issue should be fixed (I hope as I can’t reproduce the crash) with another closing VCV crash.

I also added some additional parameters to the module so you might have to initialize the module if you have it saved in a patch (ctrl-i). It will add more control over the cable and scope animation :slight_smile:

I’ll send the update to VCV this week ! Thanks again !

6 Likes

Cheers! That’s great, thank you :slight_smile: … I’m already using this in every patch even if it crashes when closing, lol.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your works, it’s awsome !! Already in my template !

1 Like

and it crash vcv when i open a new patch (and the biset module is already in the “old” patch), and i’m on Debian hope it help !

1 Like

THIS MODULE IS SO FUN. The scope is super useful, practically erasing the amount of time spent loading and deleting scopes into the rack. the animations are awesome visual feedback, and general fun for others to watch in contexts like live performances,

I have a single feature request, feel free to ignore it, but I find audio rate signals and triggers to be slightly overboard visually, is there any chance some sort-of smoothing (slew like) slider could be implemented to keep cables wiggly but not as sharp and violent? :slight_smile:

@biset

thanks for your work and this module!

1 Like

@gael Thanks ! Yes, I think the crash happens when a patch is being closed :slight_smile:

@sounds Thank you ! Indeed, the aliasing makes audio signal act in a weird way as I only sample voltages every 32 frames. Adding a slew limiter on sampling would be quite light on the CPU I think. I’ll try the idea to see if it makes the displayed waveform more readable while not deforming it too much :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I guess even if the slewed cables arent acting so much as mini scopes, but more just providing quirky little visual feedback that signal is happening. @biset

1 Like

It’s added to the next version I just sent to VCV with some other tweaks :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Awesome, to hear that scaling for audio is coming! Super useful module, great work!

5 Likes

Thanks! Really excited to try it out

1 Like

Hi @biset

Love the blank module, two questions:

1. The src has a panel menu menu->addChild(rack::createSubmenuItem("Panel" and I can see the panel SVGs in the repo, but it doesn’t seem to actually be added to the module in Rack

1. When using the right-click menu on this module, clicking an item doesn’t dismiss the menu, is this on purpose, and if so how is that achieved?

OK, answered no.2 for myself, found it here

2 Likes

Here’s to hoping it hits the library any day now :smiling_face:

1 Like

Oh I see, sorry, the panel options were added and haven’t been pushed to the library yet, ignore me :smiling_face:

1 Like