Beta version LowFatMilk - Psycho Visuals for VCV

i installed the plugin, copied projectM.dll to the root of my Rack folder, and downloaded the glew32.dll file to my system32 folder. but i’m still getting

Could not load plugin C:/Rack2/plugins/RPJVisualizer: Failed to load library C:/Rack2/plugins/RPJVisualizer/plugin.dll: code 126

i’m on windows 11, running Rack 2.06, if that makes a difference.

In 2.0.6 on Linux it installs the .vcplugin but doesn’t show up in the library at all.

[edit: oh right, have to copy the .so file to the same folder as where Rack is. Works™!]

One little “bug” with the external window version: if you clear the patch the external window stays open

When will you release the source to this? :slight_smile:

I noticed the bug with the window closure too. I think it happens on both Linux and Windows.I will have a look at it.

At the moment I am not sure if I will release the source :slight_smile:

While ProjectM is LGPL so you can link to it you are also distributing its binary which is not allowed unless you can show how you created it.

That is not how I read/understood it. As people can download the version from ProjectM and install it themselves that is (as I read/understood it) sufficient. The reason I have distributed it this way (with separate dll) is because I wanted to apply to the rules of ProjectM. I am at work now, but will check again tonight and if needed contact the project to find out.

From the LGPL:

if you distribute copies of the library, whether gratis or for a fee, you must give the recipients all the rights that we gave you. You must make sure that they, too, receive or can get the source code.

Since we cannot possibly know if your binaries are a direct result from their repo, afaik you cannot straight up distribute these binaries as such. Now perhaps simply saying “I built the ProjectM source that you can find here” is enough.

Your redistribution of the glew binary also did not reproduce the required licensing notice.

Yes I know I’m being pedantic here, but you agreed to these licenses when you used the code so …

OK, I did not check properly before distributing the glew binary, so I removed it from the instruction in this thread and also from my google drive.

On the projectm, I checked earlier and still think I apply to their rules. And yes, I will definitely add a reference to their software. I had mentioned their project in the manual , will add a link too. Like I said, I will dive into it later.

Thanks for pointing me to this.

1 Like

A new update has been uploaded that will close the window when the module is removed. This version should deal better with object deletion, so should improve overall stability.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1D0fXubpRCp_rHsIQbyyp0xLH5JdCukbj?usp=sharing

I have also updated the manual being more specific on the use of ProjectM, including a link to its source.

Anyone let me know if this version is more stable for you, and I will also work on explaining the functions of the module.

Win 10, Rack 2.1.1 Pro

Could not load plugin C:/Users/paul/Documents/Rack2/plugins/RPJVisualizer: Failed to load library C:/Users/paul/Documents/Rack2/plugins/RPJVisualizer/plugin.dll: code 126

Hi Paul, did you follow the instructions as described above?

If you are on Windows, copy the RPJVisualizer\dep\lib\Windows\projectM.dll file in the root of your VCV rack folder. Also download a glew32.dll (you can download a version from Release GLEW 2.2.0 · nigels-com/glew · GitHub ) and put it in your windows\system32 folder.

works fine for me, and more stable apparently

I cannot find the manual - the url from the module results in 404. Is the repository public?

Stupid me. I need to deploy an update for it. Will do as soon as I have time.

On Win, Rack v2.1.1 Pro, there’s a black border around the visualisation (embedded version)

That is correct Steve, but something I can change depending on what people want. You can enlarge the screen bij dragging the mouse at the right border of the module.

Ok, wondered if it was by design. I know the space at the top is where the preset name is shown if one has the option selected.

Sometimes resizing fits the visualisation to the right border, other times it doesn’t. Either way there’s always a black space at the bottom edge. Maybe preset dependant? Haven’t gone through all the presets atm.

1 Like

I though I did, I’ll try again…

OK, I must have done something wrong last time. I have it working now. And this is on my 2560x1600 screen, that we had problems with earlier :slight_smile:

Note the sizing of the visual within the module (e.g. distance to right-hand border, also top) is a bit inconsistent, noticeable when resizing.

And that “Next” bug, crashing Rack after multiple presses, is still there

Happy it starts working for you too. This next issue is very frustrating as I can’t reproduce it anymore. Slow, fast, hundreds of clicks No crash. Not on my (2 different) windows machines and not on my linux. This will become a challenging one.

By the way, I see you are not running the latest version. The trigger input for next is above the next button in the latest release (2.0.7)

Updated now.

I could get the Next crash consistently when clicking Next when “bmelgren - Take this highway” was selected. Maybe there are other presets that also do this?

I can also get the crash consistently with “Geiss - El Cubismo” selected and pressing Next, or “Geiss - High Dynamic Range” selected and pressing Previous. Which suggests there’s an issue with transition to the preset that is in between, “Geiss - Feedback 2”