Best free trigger sequencers and voices for 10-11 piece drum kit?

Your fine manual links to Salamander Drumkit : Alexander : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

But, the torrent does not include the sfz file i linked (by kinwie link - his version supposedly has some improvements in relation to sforzando (and/or SFZ player - I don’t know) over the ALL.sfz found in the archive.org torrent. The file is long gone from KVRforum, but it was included in the git for the salamander drumkit - perhaps a valuable addition to the archive.org download, I have not investigated further.

Doesn’t follow General Midi Level 1 as far as I can comprehend by looking at the sfz.

One can find a GM sfz for the salamander kit here

1 Like

It’s a bit difficult to follow this. If you hit upon a setup that works completely, could you post a summary with links etc. Thanks. This will be fun to experiment with.

My current approach to a free module drum trigger sequencer is to use the upcoming Count Modula 12x16 gate/trigger sequencer.

My current approach to a free 11 piece drum kit and voices is to use the free Ohmer QuadPercs. Overkill, but I use 11 QuadPercs modules even though there are 4 trigger inputs per module and each can be playing a different QuadPercs drum machine kit. I’m currently using the LinnDrum machine.

On my gaming tower, the QuadPercs are averaging 0.6% CPU per module.

I will wait until the CM 12x16 sequencer is in the library to post the patch, but for now, here is a pic.

Is it possible to share patches built around SFZ files and GM? If so, how? Where do you put the data files and how would you include those with a patch?

@k-chaffin ah, the files. That might make this a deal-breaker for you. With SFZ Player (and some other samplers) the only thing saved in the path is a (unicode path) to the SFZ file, so you can’t just load a patch and play it.

As you probably know, VCV 2 does provide a way to store the actual huge sample data inside your patch. But SFZ Player does not do that. Also, personally, I would never do it that way because I prefer it the way it is.

@Jens.Peter.Nielsen : ah, of course you are right! I wasn’t thinking. There is indeed quite a tradition of ppl making new and better SFZ files using the same sample sets. Esp that person has done many.

For those not familiar with the SFZ format, an sfz file is a fairly small text file containing “instructions” for how to play a bank of samples (usually). So it quite doable for someone to take an exsiting sample bank or an existing SFZ and sample bank, and modify it. Sometimes ppl adjust the sample offsets to get rid of clicks or spurious delays. Sometimes ppl change the tuning of individual samples because they were recorded out of tune and SFZ lets you easily transpose a few cents (or more).

@k-chaffin hopefully you will find a good solution. If you ever want me to I could easily hack together a module that would take poly cv/gate/velocity and output 12 monophonic gate signals. Like my old Polygate module, but more tailored to this.

1 Like

If you’re going to make a 12 out, can you let the user set the starting note # (or octave #) ? [0,12,24,36,48,60,72,84,96,108,120] or maybe have a CV input to select the starting note. Then I could hook up several Polygate+12 modules to a sequencer, if I have drums mapped to more than one octave.

Yeah, that module for sure could be more versatile. Just to be clear, I still don’t have any plans to make and release any finished modules. @robert.kock is still maintaining my “old” ones. From time to time I’ve given some ppl tips and/or done a little free programming for them.

1 Like

I suppose someone could make a General Midi module that has an integrated SFZ player and SFZ files in a subdirectory of the plugin? Or some such. Right?

If you already have a text file representing 90 patterns, then I imagine it would be fairly simple to process each of those text patterns into the correct hex sequence using your language or text processing utility of choice. The output for each pattern can then be pasted into the hexseq module.

Granted, there would be no visual indicator of the resultant pattern, but it ought to be very quick and reliable - either you got the transformation right, and everything works, or you got it wrong, and nothing works the way you want. I imagine you could hone in on the correct transformation very quickly (perhaps the first try)

If it was me doing it, I think this would be the quickest way to get everything up and running.

1 Like

@CountModula @Ohmer

Thanks Dave. I settled on using the Count Modula 12x16 gate sequencer and the free OhmerPercs drum voices for my 11 piece drum kit sequencer. I have been awaiting the Count Modula 12x16 to make it into the library, which it did today. I use the QuadPercs LinnDrum voices.

Here is an example 12 bar blues in Am with a 4/4 drum pattern:

CM 12x16 Sequencer w 11 piece kit Ohmer QuadPercs-1 bar pattern TEMPLATE-1.vcv (19.4 KB)

And here is a short audio demo of this on SoundCloud:

5 Likes

I should have mentioned that OhmerPercs only works correctly at 44.1kHz sample rate.

1 Like

Yep I agree, as I’ve indicated in homepage, if you change the Engine sample rare, sounds aren’t realistic (erratic). I don’t have found a reliable solution (because oversampling requires filtering, but at the moment, results are weak IMO). However, this (complex) task remains on my “ToDo list”!

However, as long as you keep 44100 for Engine sample rate, you can set the output module (AUDIO-x module) to sample rate supported by the audio interface.

I have noticed you like the default Classic (beige) model for QuadPercs… :wink:

1 Like

On my gaming tower, the QuadPercs are averaging 0.6% CPU per module.

Yep it caused by… font (used to indicate the level %) - this font introduces - a little bit more - CPU usage.

0.6% is normal for a module, however (max acceptable is 1%). Also this depend of Engine sample rate setting (higher engine sample rate increases CPU usage for all modules).

Yes, this is what I do. Thanks.

1 Like

Yes, CPU usage is quite acceptable. I should have mentioned that when I posted the numbers a while back. Your new version with the level control and display still has the modules consuming and average of ~0.6% per module.

I am very happy with the OmerPercs free modules, as well as the premium license to open up more drum machines in my own patches. Anything I post here will make use of the free machines.

1 Like

Just to play Devil’s advocate stick some of this in your patch for texture…

1 Like

For sure! The patch I posted here and demoed on SoundCloud was intentionally bare bones to show the drum sequencer working in concert with Meander harmonic progression, melody and bass.

2 Likes

Here is a 2nd demo patch that uses two CM 12x16 gate sequencers to provide a 12 bar blues progression with a drum turnaround pattern on bar 12.

CM 2x12x16 Sequencer w 11 piece kit Ohmer QuadPercs-2 bar pattern TEMPLATE-1.vcv (20.4 KB)

3 Likes

Adding a link here, for future reference.

2 Likes