Best free trigger sequencers and voices for 10-11 piece drum kit?

Perhaps this? :grinning:

In construction (part of OhmerPrems plugin - free version limitation: can’t save patterns/song)… Planned probably end of February (2023).

Trigger sequencer. 16 tracks (optional: 15 + 1 as global accent), 64 steps (resizable, per pattern/track), individual accent per step, touchscreen-style editor, upto 2048 different patterns (may be increased, but TBC), song construction (not yet implemented - top of screen), loop and reverse play, overall swing and probability (via knob and/or CV), outputs -5V triggers for accent, optional euclidean (per track), prepare the coffee :rofl:… 68HP.

Named FroeZe, in tribute to the legend: Edgar Froese. :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Looks fun, the green background is like looking at an old Roland or Alesis screen. Nice visual design.

2 Likes

Thank you! I agree, this remember my old TR-707 (25 years ago) :wink:

Lot of stuff on it, believe me! GUI isn’t finished (right side of module near knobs).

Ohmer variation: here the Dark “Signature” model - it follows exactly the sames themes used in Ohmer Modules, like QuadPercs, KlokSpid, KordZ, Metriks…

4 Likes

As far as percussive voices go, VCV is sadly a little limited as far as dedicated free percussion voices. Trummor and TrummorFM sound nice, but they’re tricky to modulate (lots of controls and only 4 inputs.) Plaits is fun, too.

You’ll be better off trying to synthesize your own sounds. You can get a lot of woody, crunchy sounds by running two or three pinged filters into a mixer and a distortion (which is the basis for most of the sounds in the 808/909.) Wavefolders and noise sources are even more fun here. Stages is great for plucky drum envelopes, and Percall is an all-in-one percussion backbone (four decay envelopes, vcas, and a mixer.)

For modulation, try running a few clocked LFOs through a bunch of different utilities (logic, ringmod, comparators, wavefolders, track and hold, etc) and then summing the results with a matrix mixer. You can get some cool patterns that way.

1 Like

I’m very happy with the OhmerPercs free modules. @Ohmer sampled these from the original instruments in a professional recording studio. For acoustic drums, it s hard to beat their LinnDrum samples. The Entrian drums are very nice as a free player. There are a few others that are pretty good IMHO.

3 Likes