Audio Output in Version 2.0.5

additionally, what is a little bit annoying, and i discovered right now:

this also happens, when i open a new patch while VCV is already running.

• Bug reports and feature requests for VCV Rack are allowed in order to discuss with other users, but they are not handled by VCV developers. Contact VCV Support for reporting bugs and requesting features.

i already did, described the problem, and linked to this post :wink:

Thanks ! I didn’t find the changelog before i made the update… crazy man i am :partying_face:

This “new” behavior is interface type dependent and breaks standards. JACK (pro-audio sound server used by many professionals on Linux), for example, does not negotiate quant changes with client software. The client must adjust it’s quant to whatever the server is offering. That is usually the standard - clients do not dictate system-wide parameters to servers. For Linux pro users that use JACK this is a dead end. They have to either change their JACK quant to 256/44100 system-wide or not use Rack. Linux users with PipeWire that emulates a JACK server, can adjust their quant per application, but this must be done before launching the application as again, JACK does not allow negotiating quant. Add to this that the PulseAudio support in Rack is buggy (was reported to support, including a solution) and it seems that Linux folks don’t have much choice… :worried:

3 Likes

Rack2 git is 12 months behind on rtaudio

master recently changed to return codes instead of exceptions, they say it breaks compatibility.

But maybe worth a merge ? Perhaps it makes the handling the same on win/lin/mac ? Perhaps someone could explain ?

On Windows 11, I have to select another ASIO interface, before I can select Voicemeeter ASIO. I can’t select Voicemeeter first. It was working with 2.0.4 for the first time, but then broke again in 2.0.5.

The PulseAudio problem is a known bug in RTAudio and was fixed in version 5.2.0 which is also the latest release. I’ve tested it with Rack and PulseAudio works well. I’ve sent my findings to support@ about three weeks ago. Unfortunately, this is not going to fix the issue with JACK as, by protocol definition, JACK does not negotiate quant. Rack should follow all other JACK aware software and adjust its quant based of the server.

1 Like

Same here, Win11, Audient ID 14MKII slaved to adat-IO @48kHz. Even if I set the VCV engine to 48kHz vcv-audio-module is forcing the interface to 44.1. When I try switching vcv audio to 48kHz it crashes. Is there somewhere a download link for vcv rack 2 pro v2.0.4 or 2.0.3?

Just copy the link on the pro 2.0.5 download button and change the 2.0.5 in the URL to 2.0.4

2 Likes

https://vcvrack.com/downloads

2 Likes

only “free”

1 Like

I found this issue as well and reported it VCV alongside with a possible fix. As workaround, in Linux, I had to open the Jack device at 44.1 KHz.

Why is this not a parameter in the settings.json? Something like startupAudioDriver, startupAudioDevice, startupSampleRate, startupBufferSize, along with userFolderRack, userFolderRackVST and other things?

But thanks for reporting this, I am still on 2.0.4 and won’t update to 2.0.5 as I am using 48kHz by default on my Audio Device.

@PaulPiko @Jens.Peter.Nielsen

@netboy3’s solution is the right one. Andrew has given that advice himself.

go back to 2.0.4 ?

No as in that’s how to download older versions.

1 Like

see also: Audio-8 crash when changing sample rate - #18 by Kabelix

Answer from VCV: Thanks for the bug report, and sorry you’re experiencing this issue! This is a known bug and we are hoping to fix it soon.

So theyre on it, which is good :wink:

1 Like

Thanks. Good advice. I’m using Ubuntu Studio with Jack, and Rack Pro 2.0.5 “broke” audio on me, too.

• Went to Studio Controls–>JACK Master Settings and set the JACK Sample Rate to 44100 and JACK Buffer Size to 256.
  • Restarted JACK
  • Restarted Carla
  • Re-selected the Audio device, and I’m up and running.

Oddly, the VCV Rack box in the Carla patch bay now lists both “outport 0” and “outport 1” twice, which I never saw before.

So we really won’t be able to change the sample rate and buffer size when using JACK anymore?

Just received another message from vcv as answer to my bug report:

We have done work around this issue in the next release of Rack, which will be out shortly. We hope this fixes the issue you were having.

For me, 2.0.6 fixes this problem completely! Good job VCV, thank you!

2 Likes