Audible instruments marbles: gate length

Is it possible to set the gate length for the t generators in Audible Instruments Marbles? The manual says to hold the gate option button (top left) and turn the bias knob, which can’t be done using a mouse; hopefully there is some alternate way to achieve this.

1 Like

You could use Alikins Gate Length or AS ReGate

Or Bogaudio DGate.

1 Like

Or ML_modules trigger delay.

This one is also fun, if you don’t want to be predictable…

2 Likes

I guess the gate length parameter could be exposed by adding a new mode into the module context menu, like in the Clouds/Texture Synthesizer the blend knob is used for multiple parameters. I don’t know how involved that would be, but maybe I could take a look.

3 Likes

That would be nice! As others have noted one can send the gates through a gate modifier, but it would be handy to use the Marbles functionality. I was curious as to whether it’s already there but it sounds like it’s not.

1 Like

If it is, it sure is well hidden in the VCV plugin GUI. I’ve been trying to look through the source code where the gate length is actually determined, but not completely sure yet where it could be. But the good news is that I was able to at least build the Audible Instruments plugin. (The binary is a lot bigger than the one provided by the VCV library, though…Maybe some kind of optimization/stripper needs to be run on it…)

Though it doesn’t work in the plugin…
On the actual hardware you just hold in the button till the LED starts flashing and then you are free to adjust the Bias and Jitter.
You can lock the settings by pushing the button again or just use it while the LED continues to flash :+1:

it’s weird because Macro Oscillator 2 implements the plaits LPG adjustment with a right click menu and Stages has a “hold button until flashing” behavior.

The VCV Marbles/Random sampler code has various “TODO” comments, so I guess some stuff has just been left unimplemented at this point.

1 Like

OK, I finally started looking into it seriously and I was able to do a preliminary implementation as context menu items. This will need a lot more work, especially if operation via the GUI is to be implemented by alternative GUI knob behavior.

7 Likes

That’s excellent! I would be totally happy to have the option just as a drop-down – no need to implement the knob behavior. What you’re showing in the drop-down is exactly what I want.

1 Like

I will need to do some more work and testing on this before I can release binaries…What OS are you on? I currently only have a Windows build set-up working for VCV plugins. I can hopefully set it up on my Mac without too much trouble. Linux would require more work as I think I don’t currently have a suitable Linux system available.

edit : I made a pull request against the official library repo, hopefully the changes I made will be accepted by @Vortico

1 Like

I’m on Windows so that works for me. Thanks!

Here’s a link to a Windows build (I also today added a menu setting for the gate length randomization) :

5 Likes

Hi @Xenakios, thanks for this build, I did not know I needed gate length, or even gate length randomization, but now I can’t live without it.
This made Marbles even more awesome. :+1:

1 Like

Well, those are part of the original hardware, so it’s a pity they are not available in the official VCV library port, at least not yet.

2 Likes

Yes! This is fantastic. Thank you!

Here’s also a Mac build (updated October 19th 2019 for license change reasons, there shouldn’t be any functional differences to the previously posted version) :

3 Likes