ArpHarmony Challenge (March 2024)

This is a nice study, periodically swelling and ebbing, although I must admit that the random non-quantized notes took me some getting used to. All voices are created with XFX Wave (Blamsoft). Interesting approach to bring in spikes of delay via a short pulse wave once in a while.

One thing I learned in the meantime from looking at the manual again is that the Merge modules can be omitted because outputs of Harmony are added up polyphonically when the lower outputs are not plugged. This is then indicated by the number underneath the output, which indicates how many voices are played.

That clever feature was suggested by @chaircrusher during an early test of Harmony. Great idea of his! Oh, another tip - just because Harmony outputs four part harmony doesn’t mean you have to use all those voices. I’m sure ppl are already doing this, but you can get interesting results with just one or two or three output voices…

1 Like

I fixed my entry! Fortunately it was a lot easier than I thought thanks so modules by NSYNTHI, Squinky and Vult. It plays the same more or less (slightly different sub bass) so I left the YouTube video up but the Patchstorage link has been updated with the new patch: Oceanic Refrains v1.1 | Patchstorage

Also, it looks like I can upload files directly now so here’s arrangement:

Oceanic Refrains_v1.1.vcv (36.2 KB)

2 Likes

Here’s my submission: Highlander I’m a new user on the forum so I hope I’m doing this correctly. I do not have permissions to upload my patch yet. :frowning:

5 Likes

I think that it would be so much nicer if the patch was made available.

Until you receive permission to post files here, I would suggest one of the following options:

1. Deposit file at patchstorage.com and post a link here
  2. Provide a public link to a cloud storage, such as Google Drive, OneDrive etc.
  3. PM me the file and I will try to post it here

Would any of these work for you?

Okay, third times a charm. I was confused, I didn’t realize VCV Kick on its own was free, I thought it was only Drum Machine that was premium. Thanks for understanding! I’ll be better prepared next month.

I’m not going to change the Patchstorage yet because I don’t want to spam the front page but I will update it in a few days.

Here’s the entry:

Oceanic Refrains_v1.11.vcv (37.9 KB)

2 Likes

Amazing patch, beautiful composition, good balance of tonal and percussive/noise sounds. Nice to listen too without getting bored. Lots of glissando/pitch sliding.

Interesting modules I have not tried before: Probably Not (alef’s bits), PolyGnome and Glissinator (both Bacon Music).

1 Like

Here is my submission to the March challenge. It’s a subtle one. I love how much action this challenge is getting. Great job @Alphagem-O.

• The Squonk Sequencer randomly selects root note Harmony modules.
  • The Harmony modules are set at different keys and being cycled through randomly at different rhythmic values to create a mix of diatonic and chromatic chord progressions.
  • Each voice has its own oscillator and Chance module before its envelope trigger. This randomly breaks up the voices of the chords and creates a lot of space as it is common for few or no voices of the chord to be triggered.
  • The Harmony module sequence can be over ridden by hitting the BIG BUTTON. Now each voice is randomly selecting any of the harmony module creating random harmonies. I love this feature! The harmony will snap back to using one Harmony module at a time by hitting the BIG BUTTON again.
  • The rhythmic rate of change of each chord is reasonably steady at 50% chance of changing at of the same rate as the Harmony model changes.
  • This rate of change is be periodically overridden with a barrage of fast changing chords via the Trigger input.
  • The Arpeggiator modules are being used in a traditional way (though the manual points out some awesome non conventional uses). 4 voice and 3 voice groups are being randomly switched between with random rhythmic values and let through in random bursts. The other arp feature is creating harmonised arp’s by using 2 voices groups of each chord. I have created 2 different 2 voices group that are randomly being switched between.
  • The 2 Arp chains described above are also being randomly switched between. This was a cheeky way of having both features but only taking up one overall voice in order to keep within the max 5 voices count of the challenge.
  • A late addition to the patch was the removal of the soprano voice and replaced with slow sounding arpeggiator plodding along through the piece.

ArpHarmony_March challenge_Matthew Paine.vcv (13.4 KB)

6 Likes

Thank you, Matthew, great sounds that really can take you into another world!

I hate to be that PITN again … is there a place where we can find the patch for it?

1 Like

The patch is linked right above the youtube embed:

https://community.vcvrack.com/uploads/short-url/tYGSTUxDq8GG2ZlV0WDdfxtNVWc.vcv

All good! I have edited my original post and attached the patch. It’s a bit messy as I was changing patching idea’s constantly. One manual function is the BIG Button that I haven’t left a note for. First position uses the harmony modules in sequence, second position chooses a random note from any of the harmony modules. Hitting the BigButton again snaps it back. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, super good! btw, what’s the movie? I think I’ve seen it.

Thank you for adding the patch to your post!

I loaded it, but near the middle of the second row it seems to harbor the paid module Knock from the Vult Compacts plugin. It’s a bass drum that I suppose is easy to fix. What would you recommend as a free replacement?

Oohh, film noir is so great! This one is Fallen Angel from 1945. Full movie on YT.

1 Like

Thanks. I was pleased with the spikes of delay. I shall use them again. Thanks for the polyphony tip.

1 Like

Nice. Not sure if I’ve seen this one.

1 Like

Sure I’ll give it a whirl. Cool modules @Squinky

8 Likes

Thank you for the flowers, I was very pleased.

1 Like

I was happy to have your patch flowing into my ears. it makes me feel like I’m deep in the Mariana Trench. And now for some coffee.

Nice patch. I think the warp core oscillator flows nicely through the entire sound collission.