ArpHarmony Challenge (March 2024)

Here is my submission. It’s a semi-generative ambient patch woven around a tabla beat. Uses one Harmony and three Arpeggiator modules (both Squinktronix).

Tried to do something slightly different here: The notes of one of the arps are translated into gates for a tabla (Tala, Seaside Modular) and routed to different sounds depending on their pitch. This was accomplished using a simple comparison script for BASICally (Stochastic Telegraph). The rhythm periodically changes randomly (NoteSeq16, JW) and also is different every time the patch is run, so it becomes a syncopated, polyrhythmic-ish, electroautomatic improvisation dispersed in the luminiferous aether of the unknown, LOL.

Other rhythmic elements emerge from the Euclidian sequencers Eugene and Polygene (both Rare Breeds). A lead, pad, kick and washy snare fill empty spaces.

RGATE (Bogaudio) is guided by 8Face (stoermelder) to change clock divisions, selectively speeding up or slowing down the tempo. Arranged using ShapeMaster (MindMeld).

3 Likes

Sounds great from the video! I think an edit is not necessary. Hope I’ll find time to look at the patch soon.

1 Like

Great challenge for me as I have had a lot of fun trying these two out. Thanks for the work you’ve put in. This piece for the SquinkTronix ArpHarmony challenge uses four voices each linked via an Arpeggiator or Harmony module. Each occupies a separate row in the patch.

1. Arpeggiator working with 8 random pitches from 8vert with the arpeggio direction/order determined randomly from six.
  2. Harmony generates a four part chord per note of the arpeggio.
  3. Harmony do the same but less frequently
  4. Arpeggiator working with the chord from the Harmony row 3.

I was very interested to explore the harmony of Harmony contrasted again the un quantized input. The STRIP module from stoermelder is such a handy module for the randomizing. I also use it a couple of times to turn off the 8vert. Harmony does a return to smooth harmony beautifully when that happens. I’d never come across either module so thanks for the challenge poking me in the right place! I hope you enjoy the results.

You can download the patch at

edit youtube link

4 Likes

This is amazing music! I would have thought that the patch was much more complex, but Meander does a lot of the leg work. Well done!

I really would like to improve on wrapping my head around Meander. Beside the written manual, is there a concise video tutorial you could recommend?

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words. I am not aware of a tutorial video for Meander. I don’t make videos myself, which is one reason I try to upload most of my Meander patches to the forum here. Since all Meander parameters are designed for automation via CV in-ports, the number of configuration permutations and combinations is truly astronomical.

But, I love the Squinktronix modules and how easy it is to get Meander to work in partnership with Harmony and Arpeggiator.

1 Like

Thank you for the quick reply! I don’t do video tutorials either. A good video can take a tremendous amount of work to create, so I understand your decision quite well.

I like how @stoermelder enriches his manuals with little GIF animations that often capture the essence of a module/function in just a few seconds. Not sure whether they are less laborious to produce, but perhaps this could be an alternative. It’s just an idea, not suggesting anything.

1 Like

Yeah, Meander has 85 parameters.

2 Likes

I thinks this is really very good! Love the music and the mix is so clean. Nice work!

1 Like

Thank you…Sometimes I think a “clean” mix is great. I then work on it for a long time until it’s just right for my ears.

Sweet! :dancer:t2: :man_dancing:t2:

I am sitting on the beach. Well done!

1 Like

I absolutely enjoy your tabla. I think I will definitely have to use this instrument again. I really forgot about it.

2 Likes

Thank you! Before experimenting with this patch, I hadn’t loaded Tala in a long time either.

Sneak peek :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Your patches are so interesting, that’s so almost off it keeps you listening to try to “get it”. Just great.

1 Like

Hi, everyone. So I just realized that the Slime Child modules I used in my submission aren’t free so I am violation of the rules. I’m sorry for this oversight! I retract my submission, I don’t have it in me to substitute the modules and repatch the arrangement. I will definitely come back next month and be more attentive about the modules I use. Thanks for listening, regardless! I learned a lot.

That’s a pity! Perhaps you can add a high-resolution picture with clearly visible cables, and someone can help you out with recommendations for replacements. I understand that it’s not the same, but there is so much redundancy in VCV Rack that it should still be possible to get close to the original.

You know what? I looked at it more closely last night and I was worried that there wasn’t a micro tuning quantizer but NSYNTHI’s Poly Scala will work as an inline replacement to use for just intonation. The rest is a bass subpatch that should be fairly easy to replicate so I will update the patch this week because otherwise it is clear. Thanks for the encouragement!

2 Likes

btw, not that anyone needs to go get it, but my old “Substitute” is a free “tribute” to the Subharmonicon VCO section, and it of course has an even just intonation quantizer in it. None of the super good niceness of the the slime child analog emulation at all mind you.

3 Likes

Your patch has a few more voices than expected, but it sounds nice and full. The different voices play together really well.

Cool percussion section with hihats and rides, triggered with a clock division of prime numbers.

I never used Traffic (Jasmine & Olive Trees) before, so that’s a great learning. Traffic is a relatively recent trigger-based CV controller with a random mode, and the clone of a hardware module. In this patch, it is controlling Macro Oscillator 2 (Audible Instruments). Triggers are again created either with prime number clock divisions or Bernoulli gates.

8Seq (JW) as a simple sequencer is great here because, unlike ADDR-SEQ, it also has controls for trigger probability.

Also learned about fader linking in MixMaster (MindMeld).

Overall, I think the patch sounds great and is rich in ideas.

1 Like