ARM64 Crostini Chromebook Build [Done: A bit hacky]

Serge is no go. nehalim arch in some JUCE thing. Going to try an airwindows build.

No airwin

As of today … built these

And a few more with a bit of directory renamed to slug.

Screenshot 2023-01-18 20.14.55

Build dedicated to Zero Gravity tea bar Freddie RIP.

if you post these errors up on the GitHub (including the surge one) we can look. Or even if you post them here without truncation :slight_smile:

with surge make sure you are building 2.1. 2.0.3 had an issue if you screwed with compiler flags, which I imagine you are, in the spring reverb. We have since fixed it.

oh but we are using qnos cmake port of the sdk i realized so that probably requires you to make the same modifications to it that you did to the rack sdk. so surge air windows and bacon music may be out for now.

Freddie

I think serge is definately an arch(itecture) thing I’m armv8-a.

The air windows error seems to be complexity based. it fails on random things at about 4% of the CMake build. Restarting make does other compiles but never seems to get past 5%.

EDIT: So the air windows maybe a complexity issue. As after some purple warning about the 4 letter string in uLawDecoder, (all the modules purple on that line), it compiles a few, and errors out, and does restart make without clean, and compiles other modules … but after about 7 restarts of make I decided to build some other modules.

EDIT: complexity issue? Tail recursion gcc bug? 4GB total here. htop in crostini

Screenshot 2023-01-19 11.49.59

VCV - Google Drive has the builds I have managed. I’ll keep it updated if new releases happen and I’m aware. Check the dates.

Compiler out of memory? Edit the makefile and change the -j shell to -j 1 perhaps?

-j 1 underway.

EDIT: Reached 10% and still going, This may take a while as BrightAmbience is currently undergoing .o making.

1 Like

yeah it is quite a lot of code. if the -j 1 works maybe -j 2 would be a good choice?

It seems as though all cores are passed through to the container linux crostini, even though

Screenshot 2023-01-19 13.41.27

Shows underutilization. It seems to be the 2 GB (about) memory and NO SWAP.

EDIT: Changed to -j 2 at 21% so 80% maps to 100%, so at 1% Console7Buss.

Machine still responsive. Watching news and posting to internet forums while compiling, still underutilization of cores. So definite memory issue on Chromebook Linux penguin 5.10.153-20432-gaa06ea936644 #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jan 10 19:08:54 PST 2023 aarch64 GNU/Linux and looking at htop maybe a -j 4 will just fit in the container memory allocation.

EDIT2: Maybe a background -j 3 is best for responsiveness. Window focus delay sometimes about 1 second.

Screenshot 2023-01-20 01.16.42

OK, enough building for a while. Missed some treasure polluted with SSE/MMX/AVX intrinsics. :frowning:

Screenshot 2023-01-21 19.47.18

That’s it for now, only beta upgrades when available and I must get on with my own dev stuff.

Just for clarification, was this project for your own use or for distribution? I probably misunderstood if this was just for your own use. I’m asking since my PS-PurrSoftware plugin is referenced above as having been built.

`PS-PurrSoftware` removed as it does not conform to being distributed
with reasonable freedom of source https://github.com/knchaffin/Meander/blob/master-V2/LICENSE

How does it not conform? My questions were more about whether you were distributing VCV Rack builds.

Edit: But, I was also concerned whether PS-PurrSoftware was being distributed “in or at VCV” as prohibited in the VCV ethics guidelines unless there is permission from the author.

d) Convey the object code by offering access from a designated
    place (gratis or for a charge), and offer equivalent access to the
    Corresponding Source in the same way through the same place at no
    further charge.  You need not require recipients to copy the
    Corresponding Source along with the object code.  If the place to
    copy the object code is a network server, the Corresponding Source
    may be on a different server (operated by you or a third party)
    that supports equivalent copying facilities, provided you maintain
    clear directions next to the object code saying where to find the
    Corresponding Source.  Regardless of what server hosts the
    Corresponding Source, you remain obligated to ensure that it is
    available for as long as needed to satisfy these requirements.

So… that’s GPL V3.