Any ideas on which modules would get close to the QU-BIT Data Bender?

Watching this video…

…and really love the initial subtle use of the data bender to occasionally provide spurts of repeats and very musical glitching even though as shown later it can also be used to make super saturated and spikey noisescapes.

What modules would people suggest I look at to build that ability for something that can play a sequence or generate walks on a scale, but can be made to fly off into repeats on occasion?

3 Likes

There are several VCV sequencers that have a “ratchet” feature, which is what this is called.

1 Like

Yes, but specifically the ability to assign a probability to the ratchet happening and to not have it always be the same length?

nysthi ratchet?

I’ve not used the Qu-Bit Bender so I don’t really know.

1 Like

reburst has repetitions and other factors changeable by cv, and you can put a bernoulli gate in front of the burst input.

3 Likes

Marbles can do that, also Grids with random gates into the fill inputs or with swing and/or chaos turned up.

2 Likes

Cheers all, will try options out tonight hopefully after work. :ballot_box_with_check:

Mark, there are also other modules - ‘Ratchets’ - a sequencer. That might do the job?

-Topograph for the Mutable Grids?

VCV Library - JLmod Ratchets (vcvrack.com)

VCV Library - Valley Topograph (vcvrack.com)

1 Like

+1 marbles. Complex but learning it (if you have not yet) is helpful. Can do this and more. It always inspires good stuff for me.

1 Like

Stoermelder MAZE and HIVE also have variable length ratchets with configurable probability.

3 Likes

This brought me here :

Bravo Xander, this is gorgeous :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

Hey,

pretty late to answer but I think the use of Simpliciter from Nysthi is the way to go. Never had Data Bender in my hands but based on the demo eared there’s many effects in it (Sample playback, bitcrusher, sample rate reduction, randomizations) and everything well distributed under macro knobs to morph between effects.

I’m planning to learn those kind of lovely DSP effects (Nautilus, Data Bender, Aurora…) by reproducing them in VCV. It’s a first attempt. there’s many thing happen inside those

Cheers

Love Maze for this.

1 Like

Was the patch available to play about with or has it long since been vapourised? Much appreciated.

Just realised I replied on the wrong thread, but saw Databender referenced somewhere else and recommended a plugin called Digitalis. Not exactly the same obviously, but makes some cool sounds which are similar!

1 Like

I’ve got that and their tape emulator plugin too, pretty cool, but not quite what I’ve seen from Data Bender though I’ve not owned the hardware.

Another plugin that’s handy for adding in mutations is CableGuys Shaper 3 and having mix and other params driven via a random modulated level on a slow change sample and hold.

Yeah not quite the same, but it does have some nice glitchy presets. Sample and hold works well for modulating most effects IMO!

My favourite use of it is using it to mess with delay/reverb settings in conjunction with a slew.

Yep, I’m slightly obsessed with making polyphonic step filters with S&H. It makes bubbling, liquid/underwater sounds. Also any kind of modulation effect, phasers in particular are magic! Haven’t heard of Shaper, might have a look at that.

It was a typo, it’s actually called ShaperBox 3. It’s a suite of effects you can make combination multi-effects with and comes with some really handy presets. It’s pretty useful and they keep adding functionality over time.