Any ideas on which modules would get close to the QU-BIT Data Bender?

Using third party plugins one option I tried and had a lot of fun with is MXXX by Meldaproduction. It is a deep rabbit hole for sure, but a brilliant and rewarding one! I love making multi FXs with combfilters, rhythmizer, waveshaper, etc. The modulation system has its limits and quirks but it is really powerful.

if anyone’s looking for a data bender emulation with vcv modules, check out this patch i cooked up called “info contortionist” - it provides similar functionality to the original qu-bit module - just with some limitations/variations.

1 Like

Sounds like you would love Infiltrator from Devious Machines. Check it out if you are not familiar with it.

1 Like

I have a patch that does some similar things. I’m currently working on adding macro control and I’ll upload it when I’m done.

1 Like

Jumping in to recommend AlliewayAudio’s Koan, since I don’t see it being mentioned here. Awesome module – the whole collection, really.

4 Likes

Some great suggestions in this thread, thanks all. Any sound demos for Koan anywhere?

1 Like

Found this on their YouTube channel:

Haven’t watched it, I hope it helps. The collection also includes two other modules, Bumper and CartoonRunning. Bumper is a favorite of mine, it’s such a versatile voltage source and can even be an oscillator as well. As for Koan, I like placing it inside the feedback loop of a delay – gives the repeats a bit of a dusty character. But it can do a lot more.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this video. Fantastic demonstration by the module creator.

1 Like

So what would the above delay set up look like with KOAN in the feedback loop? A picture paints a 1000 words. Thanks.

1 Like

The basic connections would look something like this: audio source into delay (gray); delay send into Koan (yellow); Koan output into delay return (pink); delay output going into the mixer (white).

Please note that I’m using Chronoblob’s “Single with send/return” mode for this example, but feel free to try out different modules and configurations. You can also experiment placing other effects between Koan’s encoder and decoder sections (adding to the picture, encoder out goes into effect; effect output goes back into decoder in). Finally, as you can see, the modules are all initialized, so please adjust the knobs to your taste should you wish to replicate this patch!

1 Like