Announcing: Sapphire Moots module

I was trying to use Moots to unconnect a signal based on the “connectedness” state of another signal. I found an easy way to do this by using my Grande Logic module to control Moots.

Logic_Moots

• Connect the signal of interest (yellow) to the A-input of the OR gate. (Must be A-input.)
  • Connect the OR gate’s B-input (red) to logic High. (The bottom NOT gate now outputs 10 V when its input is unconnected.)
  • Send the OR gate’s output (purple) to the control input of Moots. It will be High when the signal of interest is connected, and Low otherwise.

My Logic module has a special feature that makes this possible. When only the B-input is connected, the two-input gates act like NOT gates. (High to NOT → Low, High to OR → High.)

4 Likes

That is really interesting! Thanks for sharing that. I hadn’t even considered “connectedness” as an input value. It makes me wonder if there would be any use for a module that accepts a cable and outputs the number of channels it has as an output voltage. Leave it unplugged, it outputs 0V. Then maybe it could add another half volt for each additional channel, all the way up to 16 channels = 8V. Would something like this be of use to anyone?

1 Like

I forget exactly what I was thinking earlier this week, but I was wanting a module that gave me the cable polyphony count as a 1V/channel 1-16v. Maybe I will remember what I was going to do with that value.

I think I was wanting to receive chords with various number of notes and arpeggiate the chord by sending the channel count to a sequential switch “length” CV input.

Of course that is not the same thing as number of cables connected but similar. And, modules typically do not accept things such as “length” as floating point numbers that correspond to the desired parameter integer. I often wish there was a parametic floating point CV standard.

By the way, my extensive Eurorack system is a hybrid in several ways. I have 2 semi-modular Moog Mother 32 synths in the rack as well as a 24 bit DSP module.and other digital modules and a Maths module. I am definitely not a “purist”.

Since Grande Logic is polyphonic, you can use it to do what you want to achieve (channel count as 1-16v) by feeding the (poly) Or output into VCV SUM, and reduce the level to 10%

Like this:

logic_poly_channels_count

With no cable connected to the Logic Or input, it will also output 0v.

4 Likes

Cool. Thank you. I figured there was probably some way to do this. I’ll have to give it a try and see what I can do with it.

That works very well! Now to see what I can do with it. Do you know of an 8 to 1 or 16 to 1 switch that is selectable with integer volt values?

I could use discrete comparators if needed.

The “Steps” CV input uses a range from 0-8 V.

(from the manual)

1 Like

Thanks, but I wasn’t clear that I need to set the switch active step with integer voltages rather than the number of steps. I have it working with comparators.

I don’t want to hijack this topic though.

That’s what you can do with it. I’m sorry, I quoted the wrong part of the manual, but the “Step” input at the bottom selects the active step via CV.

If an cable is connected to the “Step” input, it overrides (and disables) the trigger inputs as well as the manual selection. The voltage is expected to be in the 0-8V range

1 Like

Thanks, that works but is off by 1. After I get it fully working with comparators, I will try SS 8-1 again.

Thanks. Yeah, I use OFFSET for a lot of parameter control voltage re-scaling. And I have used other “re-scaler” modules.

I have the comparator method working perfectly for 1-5 note chords and could easily expand it to 8 note chords, but I probably have no need for that.

For a 8 to 1 select, you could first scale the integer voltage by a factor of 1.2 using Bogaudio OFFSET and use that scaled signal as the Select CV input of Bogaudio 8:1

Like this:
channels_count_to_mux

1 Like

How did you come up with 1.2? 10.0/8?

I really think this is too far off topic. Maybe we should make a separate topic if this needs to be more generally discussed. Thanks though.

1 Like

Congrats on the new module @cosinekitty ! Really enjoying the wacky spring sounds. Have you considered adding a dry/wet control?

2 Likes

I just created an announcement thread for Elastika. Would you mind re-posting your question there? I’d like other people to participate in the wet/dry conversation, because it sounds interesting.

1 Like

For sure!