Announcing: Sapphire Elastika

If you don’t do oversampling or one of the other standard techniques, your non-linear clipping is going to generate a ton of aliasing.

1 Like

I think @baconpaul means a limiter with look ahead has those issues. but you don’t need to be that fancy. A nice non-clipping “regular” limiter will tame that crazy output without generating a lot of nasties. My F2 filter always had one in it. I think it’s on by default, although I really don’t remember.

f2

3 Likes

Yeah you have to watch out for aliasing. The reason the 4/27 and 1.5 form is nice is because the clipping is very soft and so in a sort of quick little near and over peak moment it’s sort of “not that bad” especially vs a hard clip. But that’s just empirical.

If you find it is adding artifacts you don’t like I’ve had good luck with anti deriv anti aliasing on clippers and know others have too. Happy to share code or math for those.

4 Likes

Thank you @hemmer, @Squinky, and @baconpaul. Looks like I have a lot of reading, studying, and experimenting to do. Later I may come back and create a thread on the Development forum to dive more into this.

4 Likes

Just dropping in to say how lovely the module is to use and a thank you for your creativity and generosity. I love to read these threads where developers share ideas and help create fun modules that make such beautiful sounds. I have generally just used it in a patch to make gonglike cymbal sounds, just terrific to hear when modulated.

2 Likes

It would be great to hear if you are willing to share audio/video of it here!

5/4 jam w/gtr

It’s a might low in the mix and low pitched. Gets a little obliterated when my gtr comes in. It’s my little Omri challenge patch this month.:smile:

3 Likes

I may make you another lil pass without the gtr.

5/4 jam without gtr

I opened up the volume and modulation a just a little to let it shine. Not really done with it, just a lil sketch that sounded funny and fun,

1 Like

Really great guitar tone. Can I ask what you use for it? Has a nice Sonny Sharrock feel to it.

Fantastic! I will check out your code on github to see how this was implemented. Really want to learn more about physical modelling. Thanks for your efforts and keep it up!

1 Like

Thank you! Let me know if you have any questions.

Ha, exactly where I was headed, I have further refined my effects for a even more ragged tone thinking directly of Sharrock. The HX Stomp is most of the tone, a Rat as well. The Stomp is using the Revv Red amp model with the new Cabs update providing a nice dual cab and the new Life model distortion too. Used the digitech freq out for a few notes that glide nicely.

1 Like

I saw an “industry showcase” in the 90’s where Sharrock and Worell were backing up an Irish singer, Suzanne Rattigan. was wild!

1 Like

Sounds great, I’ve never tried those pedals/ Hah, glad I heard it a little bit the way it sounded in your head! I went down an Ali Farka Toure rabbit hole in my guitar playing, and every now and then it sounds like a clean version of Sonny Sharrock. But one of these days I’ll have to try out some of these suggestions.

1 Like

Ooh, that does sound quite wild, would love to check that out, hah. I did a quick google, but couldn’t turn anything up.

Sapphire Elastika 2.1.3

Version 2.1.3 of the Sapphire plugin was just released today, including some improvements to Elastika.

This version adds an optional automatic limiter for the output level. It is enabled by default, but you can configure it or disable it in the context menu:

To warn you that the limiter is active, the output level knob glows red. This is a clue that your audio might be distorted due to the limiter, and you might want to turn down the output level or do something else to cool off the output:

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the conversation and gave ideas and feedback!

11 Likes

I have a gong my son rescued from a dumpster. I love that sound. I want to try it with a transducer & contact mic to make a wonky reverb.

3 Likes

That sounds fun. What is the gong made out of? If magnetic, using a magnetic pickup could be cool. As a teen for my garage piano wire “reverb”, I used small speaker cores as both transducer and pickup since the piano wire was magnetic. I did some stuff with screen door springs also, but I can’t remember exactly what.

Who would throw a gong in the trash???

2 Likes