Announcing Entrian Acoustic Drums: Drum kit and sequencer (now with 100% more Christmas)

I’d be curious to know more about this, I’m wondering why/how the things you do in your module can affect the behavior of another module (Vult in this case).

2 Likes

Great work Richie, thanks! Will be able to buy next week I hope :slight_smile: PS. Anyone want to buy paid for second hand but mint condition drum sample modules and a mixer? :wink:

1 Like

Me too. :slight_smile: I need to get in touch with @modlfo about this to see whether he has any ideas.

The thing that I’m doing that is unusual is creating another top-level window within Rack, which has its own OpenGL context. In ModuleWidget::step() I call glfwMakeContextCurrent(window) for my window, paint it, and then call glfwMakeContextCurrent(APP->window->win) to put things back again.

If I do that on every step(), some of the Vult knobs only paint sporadically as you adjust them. If I throttle it a bit, so I only call my code on three out of four step() calls, it’s all fine (though if you look carefully you can see that slight judder in my painting, which is a bit annoying). No other modules seem affected, though I haven’t tested them all. :slight_smile:

I wonder whether Vult has a painting optimisation that’s making use of some OpenGL feature that I’m conflicting with…? Leonardo…?

1 Like

The Vult controls repaint only when needed to save CPU/GPU. I use a FrameBuffer and is marked dirty only when the controls change. As far as I know, all controls should have a similar behavior in order to not stress the GPU.

@modlfo: Thanks for the quick response! That’s weird - nothing I’m doing ought to interfere with what you’re doing. I’ll do some more digging when I can, but for now the workaround works.

Does the sequencer and the editing window all work ok on linux? Still umming and ahhing because I’m only really interested in the sequencer (although I’m sure I can make use of the drums with layering I suppose).

Also, how big is it with the samples? Are they just wavs so you can use them in other ways? Is that even allowed, say I want to use the samples in renoise?

@TroubledMind: Yes, it all works on Linux.

The plugin weighs in at 17MB.

The samples are not present as simple wavs. I hired a drummer and sound engineer to create them - they are significant intellectual property. I’d be reluctant to make them available in a form other than as they are, in a form that only the plugin can use.

(That said, if you buy a license for the plugin, you’re buying a license to use the samples in your music. If you do that by playing them into a recorder to create wavs and then playing the resulting wavs in some other music software, you’re not breaking any licenses, either in letter or in spirit. Sharing them as plain recordings, rather than as part of a piece of music, would be a problem, but that’s not what you’re suggesting.)

3 Likes

Great, yeah that’s the question I was really posing and the answer seems more than reasonable to me. Appreciate the answer and I will certainly put this on my list of module to buy (there are so many though!).

It’s incredible that it’s only 17mb, can I ask what format they are stored in? I’m guessing they must be compressed somehow?

Yes, they’re compressed using Opus Codec (http://opus-codec.org/). It does a fantastic job of dramatically reducing the file size while remaining transparent.

2 Likes

Winging its way to the Plugin Library as we speak is Entrian Acoustic Drums 1.2, with these fixes and features:

• Fixed a slight latency problem that some instruments had (thanks, @Omri_Cohen).

• You can now sweep with the R key to repeat a Ctrl+Drag velocity change across multiple notes.

• Optional dark theme (thanks, @contemporaryinsanity):

4 Likes

@Richie, I’m currently working on a piece with two phrases. The CV inputs on the sequencer say to use C4-C6, but C4 gives me Phrase 13. I’ve had to use C3 to get Phrase 1 and C#4 to get Phrase 2. Something weird is going on.

looking good!

Oops! Yes, it’s not C4-C6 as advertised on the panel and in the documentation, it’s C3-C5. Good spot.

I’m tempted to fix the panel and the docs rather than the module - C3-C5 seems like a more sensible range, partly because it’s centred around middle C, and partly because it’s the default range of the MIDI-CV “QUERTY Keyboard” device…

Ok, but you have to use C#4 to trigger Phrase 2 and D4 triggers Phrase 3. C#3 doesn’t work.

Announcing Entrian Acoustic Drums 1.5 “Christmas 2019 Edition”, now with added Sleigh Bells!

7 Likes

@Richie I’d like to request the addition of a cabasa/shaker/maracas. All three sound a bit different, but with the tuning, distance and velocity controls, I could probably make due with one of them.

On a different note, I was trying to use the toms the other day. I could only get two to work at a time. I was trying to make a big tom fill. I don’t have more empirical data for you, but it seemed like if you used more than two, they either were not triggering or sounded the same.

There’s already a cabassa in the kit:

The toms seem OK in a brief test - maybe you could DM me a patch?

Sorry Ritchie. Just overlooked the cabassa. I’ll try to recreate the Tom issue and get back to you if I replicate the original problem.

Very clever @Richie just seeing this now :blush:

I had a similar idea as a midi app which runs inside Rack a good while ago but no expertise to implement the idea. A bit late after the announcement but very nice work!

Thanks, Phil! I’m glad you like it.

(I have more on the way: Entrian Sequencers Teaser Trailer)

2 Likes