Announcement: VCO-101 almost ready for release

(Highcarbschwabe) #1

Hi there!

my little project, an analog modeling VCO, is almost complete:

I am quite happy with the sound. Example:

Regarding the GUI, I have contacted Roland and asked them to greenlight my little project.

The plan is to release it open source and for free.

I hope to announce the release soon - as soon as I have the ok from Roland and the remaining (known) bugs are fixed.

Cheers,
Gernot

LabSeven VCO-3340 available now!
(V Luciano) #2

I wish you well. Good work.

(Highcarbschwabe) #3

Thanks!

(V Luciano) #4

Stuttgarter?

(Highcarbschwabe) #5

Ja, aus der Gegend :slight_smile:

(V Luciano) #6

Feine Sache,

bin nur ein Paar km davon entfernt

(V Luciano) #7

Habe unglĂĽcklicherweise vor ein Paar Jahren, einen 101er verkauft.

Geldmangel

(Highcarbschwabe) #8

Ging mir genauso. Damals als Student. Jetzt habe ich aber wieder eine :slight_smile:

(V Luciano) #9

Sei froh, ich bereue es heute noch

(Highcarbschwabe) #10

Ich hatte meine fĂĽr 150 Mark bei einem tĂĽrkischen Second Hand-Laden gekauft. Lag wochenlang im Schaufenster und keiner wollte sie. Solche Deals gibt es heute leider nicht mehr!

(V Luciano) #11

Nee, die Zeiten sind leider endgĂĽltig vorbei. FrĂĽher hies es: es steht jeden Morgen ein dummer auf.

(Andrew Belt) #12

can already guess their answer

(V Luciano) #13

Maybe… who knows?

(Highcarbschwabe) #14

Since an important part of their business model is to recycle their successes from the past in a sometimes perhaps somewhat trashy fashion*, I wouldn’t be surprised to discover that prohibitions and threats are their standard way of interacting with people like myself. But let’s see what happens. The worst case scenario is that I have to make changes to the GUI. That would be a shame because I like it the way it is but not the end of the world :slight_smile:

*for instance: Why didn’t they just clone and reissue the 101 or at least combine an FPGA-based oscillator with the real analog SH filter ?

(MSM) #15

They are very protective of their stuff… as you can read in the link I posted. Anyway good luck!

(Andrew Belt) #16

It’s commercially way better for them to release things like SH-01A because the cost savings of a digital emulation is way higher than the returns on marketing an “actual analog filter” version.

(Highcarbschwabe) #18

Exactly.

(Jonathan Moore1) #19

I wish you luck with Roland. But even if they say no you could take the approach that TAL have with their emulations:

https://tal-software.com/products

These are very definitely inspired by various Roland products but are different enough to escape the wrath of Roland’s legal eagles.

(Leonardo Laguna Ruiz) #20

Just remove all trademarks and let the VCO be itself.

(Andrew Belt) #21

He’s not violating any trademarks.