Angelical Organic Voices?

I couldn’t resist

2 Likes

and my try:

4 Likes

Since this ancient thread on Angelic Organic Voices (and choirs?) seem to be revived…

How about using Paul Nasca’s PADSynth algorithm as a starting point? Effectively PADSynth is a form of additive synthesis but where instead of single partials/jharmonics we have bandwidths of frequencies around each partial. Thus inherently introducing detuning/phasing at a partial level. Very usefull for vocal/choir like pads. Many spectra can be achieved with PADSynth.

@docB has some very nice PADSynth implementations: uPad2, Pad, Pad2.

The human voice also has a resonator component. More or less fixed resonant / dampening frequency bands that can be emulated per (resonant) filter(s).

So, maybe add some sort of filters/resonator? E.g. a (resonant) filter bank or an EQ with (band)frequency and bandwidth control.

The Bogaudio PEQ series Equalizers (3, 6, 8, 14 band ) are pretty usefull and polyphonic. They let control band frequency (per band) and bandwidth (global). It lets you even modulate the overall tuning of the EQ (via FCV input). With some fiddling the EQ bands can even follow 1V/Oct (or some other ratio). There are envelope followers expanders to complement the PEQ series. Brave souls might even try a feedback loop from one, some or all bands back into the EQ.

Of course you can also use single band (resonant/modal) filters. With all different characteristics. Many to choose from.

Or maybe use a dedicated resonator.

FM/PM can also create pretty choiry sounds. With multiple carriers you can have additive formant like approaches. Great dynamic behaviour too. Hard to introduce (near) fixed frequency bands to emulate the resonator bit though. Fixed frequency or detuned modulators soon make the sound messy/detuned/metallic/membrany, but can work at low modulation levels.

All choiry sounds might need some complementary (filtered) noise. With enough filter resonance, noise alone through resonant filters yields great voices/choirs.

About noise:

@Squinky Labs Colors is a very usefull sound shaping noise source.

2 Likes

the two formant filters mentioned above are of course much “easier” or “better” that rolling your own filters / resonators. my old Formants has 4 of 5 band pass filters tuned to the values for the vowel sounds.

If you have a Mac, some of the GarageBand voices sound nice.

Set up a sequencer in Rack, pass the MIDI to GarageBand, have GB output to a Blackhole or Soundflower virtual audio device, then pick it up in Rack with an AUDIO module and process the audio with, say, a shimmer reverb effect, then output to a second AUDIO and/or a RECORD module.

Here gentlemen is a beautiful choir voice from docb>

VCV Rack docB plugins Etude 9 | Patchstorage

6 Likes

This is absolutely gorgeous :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Yeah, @docB not only makes (many) great plugins. He also makes great music/patches. The quintessential artist/artisan who makes his own tools. And, adding to that, shares the fruits of his labor with all of us (for free!).

And I do see docB Pad in this great patch.

1 Like

one of my tries at angelical voices:

the patch:
2023_12_07_rsmus7_Angelicos.vcv (27.3 KB)

5 Likes

docB’s etude 9 is definitely beautiful and angelical - but I don’t think it sounds like a choir.

I was curious how it would sound with the technique I used with Angels Calling. I replaced the polyphonic pad voice with 16 instances of recursive filtered noise and eliminated the other two voices.

I don’t think it is nearly as beautiful as the original, and the “choir” sounds a bit hollow when there is only one note sounding. But all in all I do think it is more choir like.

I think my Angels Calling patch sounds more lifelike because it has constant 4 part harmony. The voices interact in a way that covers up the shortcomings of individual voices.

docB etude9 - Recursive Filtered Noise Chorus.vcv (5.5 KB)

2 Likes

Very nicely sculpted and convincing sound!

1 Like

Agreed - this is beautiful :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Since the weekend arrived…and I like Voice/Choir pads…

Here’s an example I just put together that might inspire. It’s a pretty basic approach (most of the patch is actually about generating random pitch/chords, gates and modulation…and FX)

• two saws, an octave apart (with mix for a sort of ‘male’ / ‘female’ ratio)
  • highly resonant lowpass filter, where the separation option is used to emulate vowels

This Voice / Choir patch is generative and modulating, but pretty quick and dirty (and so is the short video, with typos and all). For demo and inspiration purposes only…

20231208 Kwurqx Example of a Voice or Choir patch in VCV Rack 2

20231209 EDIT:

I attached/uploaded the patch here to play with (all the plugins used are free): 20231209_Kwurqx_Voice_Choir.vcv (5.3 KB)

As said, it’s quick and dirty. Just a proof of concept to experiment with or extract ideas/components from… Might be slightly different from the video version (since I have been noodling with is since making the video). E.g. the video version clips here and there. So at some point I added a to poly to mono with Compressor after ADSR/VCA.

3 Likes

Yes, that’s exactly what the separation (R) control is good for. I’m surprised I didn’t put the word “vocal” in the manual!

And…unlike your Formants filter, this (excellent) FZ Filter is polyphonic. As is a choir. :wink:

In fairness to poor formants, it was probably my third module and was made for VCV 0.6 which was not polyphonic…. But, yeah.

Haha, not a critique at all. Just stating a fact.

1 Like

Impressive formants

Clearly not my domain…but Hearing what you’ve done,Formants are many harmonics passing through they own filter

I don’t know if what i say is good,but this is my overall impression

Yes, it’s a bunch of filters, using the specs from csound for the formant frequencies.

liquid making filtering…Viscosity

Maybe nano-dephasing :sweat_smile:

Collision between present and future harmonics

1 Like