Al's Rack Patches

A bit more upbeat, this ones got 3 fm-ops providing the chord sequence through stereo delay via BogAudio Mute8, its got an unused LFO I forgot about, its got Alan Turing feeding a Quantum into Even VCO triangle wave into an ADSR and slew unit, its got a Bernoulli gate triggering macro oscillator through the marvellous Lindenberg Alma filter for a wobbly didgeridoo bass sound, it’s got Squinky saws into constants modulated by AS Tri-lfo, its got autodafe drum section, loads of delays and of course Plateau. But most off it all, it;’s got the 16-step gate sequencer from Aepelzens, and now its also got you.

3 Likes

I added a seq-3 and used the channels to make the 3 FM-Op’s change pitch to form a chord sequence.

Its a good platform for exploring compositions, relatively easy to change the rhythm patterns and the chord notes individually.
2 Likes

Very energetic! :smiley:

I like this one too! :smiley:

Thanks Jim!

Eaststar consists of 3 voices;

1. Pair of Squinky saws, fed from AH Galaxy (C Dorian mode), the second one (Set to Oct3) going through Omri’s bernoulli gate octave shifter suggestion, to add a few alternate higher notes, both through slow-set adsr and Tangents filter from Vult
  2. Audible Instruments Resonator selecting one of 3 Galaxy note outputs via sequential switch, the Galaxy set to C Dorian mode,
  3. Entropia sequencer feeding BogAudio FM-OP via Quantum, FM-op using own in-built ADSR envelope. Modulation of Saws and Tangents via AS Modules Tri-LFO. Background chords feeding into Valley’s Plateau. The Galaxy units are responsible for providing the lovely modal chord changes that form the framework of the piece. Hope you enjoy! Eaststar.vcv (33.2 KB)
3 Likes

Loving this Eaststar patch, its beautiful. That FM-OP arpeggio is awesome sounding, and cool how you got the Quantum notes to fit with the Galaxy chord changes perfectly. This Galaxy looks so interesting, I can see you are setting the root note & mode, and sending a gate to change chords, but is type of chord it plays next random? And are all the led’s under each type of chord inversions of each other? I need to check this thing out…

1 Like

Thanks Adi, its a very musical module, I’m using it in chord mode not key, and allowing root, 1st and 2nd inversions. That way all the chords generated stay in the chosen Dorian, which gives me the sound I was after. You can get different influences depending on which combination of the 6 outputs you use to feed your sound generators. This from AH’s GitHub:
“Galaxy is a semi-random chord generator. The arms of the galaxy are chord qualities (i.e, Major, Minor, Major 7, etc). The stars in each arm are specific chords, starting with C close to the galactic centre and ascending chromatically to B at the edge of the galaxy.”

1 Like

Watching Omri’s latest excellent livestream - Quantum Multiverse - triggered the usual shedload of ideas, this fairly simple little patch explores the transposing of ML’s indispensable Quantum module by S&H its’ own output. 3 voices supplied by BogAudio’s FM-OP fed from Entropia sequencer, Macro Oscillator and a couple of Squinky saws - a winning formula to my ears.

quantum_shifting.vcv (30.6 KB) I’m thinking a small drum track could be added here to drive the tempo a bit…

1 Like

This little number is imaginatively called Wavetable wobble - a bit of a departure for me and my usual chordal arpeggio ambient chiming stuff. Trying to get more of a fruity modulated bass thing going here, from the Macro Oscillator and Blamsoft’s F-35 filter, with a slightly crazy solo via Turing into FM-OP and Debriatus from Vult. Hope you enjoy!

4 Likes

Oh yeah, love this Wobble one! And thank you for the Galaxy tips the other day, its been pretty awesome so far and really easy to use.

1 Like

Happy to help what little know-how I have, isn’t this a great creative community?!

1 Like

Very nice Al, love the beat :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here’s a patch that came into my head this morning featuring ADSR saws and reso with a hesitant sinister beat. Two Seq-3’s run same sequence but one at ¼ speed and the other at 2x speed.

3 Likes

Oh yeah! It’s got this really great tense feeling to it, like a piece of film music in a buildup scene. And love it when the lower octave kicks in, and that rimshot sounds amazing.

1 Like

Thanks Lars for your comments - that was the feel I was going for :slight_smile:

1 Like

That was really heavy. I like it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

That was super tasty, love this!

1 Like

Two_x_seq
This restful little patch with a sharp unimaginative title uses two SEQ-3’s, one running at 8 steps, the other at 7, each of the three rows are slightly different sequences and chosen in turn by the ML sequential switch, alternating between 8 and 7 beats, since the UP trigger is taken from step 8 of the first Seq-3 unit. The sequences are each fed into 2 FM-ops via JW quantisers, set to Cm.

You end up with a nice little polyrhythm thing going on, with 6 intertwining melodies, fed through 2 different delay units.

Accompanying background courtesy of 3 saw units also feeding from the JW quantisers, set to Cm.
Vult Tangents and Lateralus add the filters to the saw modules.

Possibilities are endless, if you take different steps from the two seq-3 modules as the Up or Down triggers for the two Sequential switches. You can end up with something similar to the mighty Scorovnik sequencer in terms of utility.
Does any of this make sense?

1 Like

Yes, it makes perfect sense Al and I love these techniques. Interwoven, swirling and alternating sequences are some of my favorite meat. This is just a lovely piece Al, great tune, nice sequences, it breathes and lives, nice sounds. I really like it, well done!

1 Like