Airwindows - A Fresh Approach: Looking for some testers and feedback

Wonderful modules! It’s a pleasure to work with them in VCV.

@baconpaul Paul, was it your decision that the module width is _11_HP? Why not 10HP?

I just kinda picked numbers until it fit. Is there a problem with 11? I think 10 would be a bit cramped but I could shrink stuff

Also I’m not really a designer. I’ve hit up some friends who are for feedback tho

thank you so much for allowing this to happen! huge fan of your plugins and it will be an absolute BOON to have them available to us now!

Ahh you are right. I can get it to 10hp with a couple of tweaks easily. I’ll do that in my next push.

1 Like

Oooh and that next push was now! I just found a tiny bug in poly where it wouldn’t restore when saved properly that i just fixed. next nightly in 30 mins.

I think today you have given a new definition to the term “nightly”.

In a previous job we used to talk about ATUs when discussing level of effort estimates - Arbitrary Time Units.

2 Likes

its way more work to make it only build once a day that it is to make it build every commit. But I agree we need a better name! Chuckle.

1 Like

There’s another dev (well, marketer) I used to compete with where it was ‘two weeks!’ :smiley:

Great to see all this happening, and I’m excited to see it settle into its final form/destination so I can tell my community and all. Oh, and one interesting little final thing…

These are very simple algorithms, and they’re presented just as they are in the original plugins. What that means is this: when I tried the plugin out, I used the default startup with the keyboard driven notes, and put Galactic on the output to hear the reverb.

And then put Slew onto the pitch CV from the keyboard, and of course that gave it a portamento.

And then put MV onto the pitch CV from the keyboard, and it gave me a wobbly weird effect and still tracked the eventual pitch perfectly… because a lot of these will work ON CV perfectly fine. Even though MV is a Midiverb-esque bloom algorithm. It and others can be used, on CV, in counterintuitive ways, because stuff they do that can pose gotchas in normal use can be abused interestingly when used as CV. For instance, the early highpasses including the ones in Density and Drive etc. start out off, at 0. If you engage them, there’s audio in them. If you set them to 0 WHILE audio is passing through, you can trap DC inside that algorithm… which on CV makes it a highpass (tending to retain only high frequency modulations) that is also, simultaneously, a sample and hold or a weird hybrid between them. And of course you can modulate the control itself with other CV, because why wouldn’t you? Chaos ensues :smiley:

Not everything will work on CV, some things especially later on contain audio highpassing to resemble analog gear… but a lot of stuff in there WILL work on CV. Have fun!

7 Likes

Oh wow Paul, you sure are one prolific developer, hats off. 328 new effects in Rack in one fell swoop, that’s quite something. Sounds very exiting. I’ll make some time to give this a spin and report back. Thank you!!

As a fellow programmer I hereby send you a big “I salute you!” Chris. That’s needed whenever I see a programmer “doing it right”, in the midst of the sea of crap I deal with every day. Thank you for AirWindows and for this, exiting times ahead.

You are a wizzard, sir!

Something I noticed: Sustain knob on Bright Ambience program offsets the output a lot into the negative range.

Another observation:

With less extreme settings (at least with Bright Ambience plugin and on my PC) polyphonic version with 1 voice on average performs better than monophonic version, for some reason

Mono vs Poly on different plugins (modules\submodules\idk). Left is Mono, right is Poly, every time:

Big Amp:

Gatelope:

ZRegion:

It looks like the poly version performs somewhat smoother, although sometimes the difference in minimum CPU load is 1% in favour of Mono version. But on average I think Poly wins

I also noticed that some of the plugins that are dedicated to sub and extra low frequencies sometimes behave weirdly: they go stereo for 1-2 bars, then mono for 1-2 bars (phase inversion ?). OR they could do it almost randomly. I remember one plugin was doing it yesterday, but I can’t recall what was the name of that plugin. Here’s an example of Dubsub plugin doing exactly that (sorry, I forgot to turn off the CPU indication):

Huh the only difference between poly with voice == 1 and mono is in mono we do a getVoltageSum on the input rather than a getVoltage to squash down poly inputs.

I suppose I can branch around that if input channels are 1. Let me add that to my list and also see if I can repro what you are seeing.

1 Like

Morning!

New nightly up with a mess of fixes for things you all asked for here plus some UI improvements (although there’s more of those to come).

Three big things on my list left are

// @TODO: Adjustable Block Size for CPU
// @TODO: Undo on Type Change
// @TODO: Mono 1 vs Poly performance and voltage sum

Also we’ve confirmed this builds all platforms with the rack toolchain so its possible to make this library bound soon enough, once we wrap up the UI.

Thanks for all the feedback yesterday. It was super useful. The commit log is the change log before we get to first release.

2 Likes

Good morning! I see that the last “nightly” included a

• “Longest Param Name” scan (and the answer is: 14)

Do you have by any chance a TXT readily available with the names of parameters by modules? (Just curious.) I mean something like this:

Effects 	Exciter 	Freq
Effects 	Exciter 	Excite
Amp Sims	BigAmp	Gain
Amp Sims	BigAmp	Tone
Amp Sims	BigAmp	Output
Amp Sims	BigAmp	Dry/Wet
Consoles	Console8BussHype	-

p.txt (19.7 KB)

Here you go

1 Like

Thank you! I find this very useful. And it adds nicely to the treasure hunting experience. :slight_smile:

It’s super easy for me to put all these analytics in the UI just I am not quite sure how you would display them in rack. Ideas for how you show a splurge of text to a user? Open a web browser on a temp file?

Oh, just got Undo on FX Type Change coded. Should be in a nightly later this morning.

Many thanks to @jinx6568 or ‘Chris…from Airwindows’ (as he usually starts his elaborate and informative videos on his projects) for sharing (for free!) his knowledge and experience with the world. Many years of many great ideas transformed into un-compromising high quality and usuable code / plugins.

And of course thanks to @baconpaul (and the Surge Team) for bringing (for free!) both Surge and Airwindows to ‘the masses’. First via Surge Synth, then via the Surge for VCV plugins and now also seperately for the Airwindows for VCV plugins.

The least I can do is to also put some of my time and effort in ‘testing’ and generating ‘feedback’. Which is the general way to learn & improve anything. In this case for the benefit of all of the VCV Community, including myself.

1 Like