A plea to y'all for full names

Hi Everyone

This is just a small plea to you all, to go to your Profile >> Preferences >> Account, after you’ve signed up, and enter your full name in the “Name” box. It’s really nice to know who you’re speaking to, and to be able to call you by your first name in our conversations. Also, I already know many of your names from the Facebook group, so it would help me and all of us, to recognize you. If you don’t like your “username” you can change that as well on that page, that works just fine. Having a familiar username to @ quote is helpful.

Thanks a bunch and looking forward to our chats !

4 Likes

Some of us are not allowed to use our actual names in Facebook - I am a case in point. Facebook accepts the ridiculous fiction of ‘Zulu Echo Romeo-Oscar’ but will not accept that anyone might be called Zero…

4 Likes

Absolutely not. While people are forced to use real names on Facebook, that policy goes against many peoples’ wishes. Not everyone wants to be identifiable.

5 Likes

Done! I agree it IS nice, and for any who are professionals in the field it gets their name more recognition. @Patman- I agree with you too, and I have done the same many places, and if somebody doesn’t feel comfortable enough here, I’m sure that is fine as well.

2 Likes

On a side note: it seems the use of y’all is everywhere nowadays, and it feels quite unnatural. Better to leave that to Nashville, and maybe some country line dance forums. This coming from a user who has, indeed, decided to use his full name (you know, this forum is the first step to worldwide fame)

Heh, point taken Joop. I just like playing with language, the English language in particular. For me it’s just a freedom. I’ll use 5 different kinds of language in a day, depending on what I’m trying to accomplish, or my mood.

2 Likes

Just to be clear, I wasn’t advocating for a policy or any kind of enforcement. I think it should always be a choice, and I totally respect that. It was simply a plea to enter full names, for those that don’t mind, because it requires a manuall effort after signup, and is easy to forget or just never consider it, because it’s not a question asked upon signup.

1 Like

Me too. That’s why I noticed :slight_smile: No offence, of course.

1 Like

I like y’all - it’s a pretty affectation…

We like decoration in our music (sometimes), so why not in our language too?

I just don’t like it when everyone uses the same decoration.

1 Like

Not everyone does - you’re suffering from perception bias. Also, too long spent in online forums.

I like to try and get 5 different kinds of language into one sentence!

I like to play with language. I haven’t spent any time on online forums before this one. And maybe I shouldnt, considering this reaction.

But I assume we both try to have fun on this forum, and with our bleepbloop toys. So let’s not have words spoil that. And get back on topic.

2 Likes

We’re still friends, yeah?

2 Likes

yeah!

2 Likes

It’s all good y’all (sorry, couldn’t help myself)

2 Likes

it is texan slang. it seems quite useful, but personally i don’t like the sound of it (but please feel free to use it anyway, i won’t be offended) :sunglasses:

as to using real/full names, if i had known how to sign up for the official users group on facebook with just my artist name, i would have done that. now that i know, i think i will change to posting there as ablaut as well. when it comes to my music, and related subjects, i prefer to just be called by my artist name. this is also because my family name is very difficult to pronounce right unless you already know dutch.

2 Likes

I do!

1 Like

Sorrynotsorry

#notabug
#wontfix

Y’all is catching on as a respectful Gender-Neutral greeting. As one of “them Queer kids”, I’d suggest it’s something to get used to hearing. :rainbow_flag: :wink:

(also, it’s not just Texas-specific slang. I used to work for a call centre catering to a USA cellphone service, and I heard “y’all” from across that country. Also, we have cowfolk up here in the Great White North - ever heard of the Calgary Stampede? :canada:)

3 Likes