4ms Meta - Rackception

i guess a tagging system for the 4msMeta => within the VCV Rack <= is not existent so far, right ?

if not, so please take my +1 vote for one. I rate such tagging system vs. the 4ms Meta a requirement. At least for me it is. Means, to me, there “should” be a mode within Rack2, that only shows Meta ready modules, and no others.

I really hope such thing “can”, …and will happen. Hope, it´s not just dreamin…

There´s things, modules, i´d absolutely be ready to pay for to see them happen in the Meta. Chronoblobb, Cytomic VCF, Path Set-Omri Cohen Panther Cap, comes to mind. …great WT VCOs, Samplers,…oh well, and imagine real live-jam loopers ? oh my

Funky times…

2 Likes

I am interested in possibly porting my cv_funk modules to the Meta, but I have some questions. Firstly, without actually owning a Meta module, I’m not sure I could get very far with the porting without being able to test it out. So I’d at least need some brave beta testers. Also, it doesn’t seem all that simple to port to the Meta. Like there are a lot of things that don’t currently port over, and I’d likely need to redesign the panels and layouts to make it work right. Has anyone here done a successful port? How is the process?

4ms just opened this repo GitHub - 4ms/metamodule: MetaModule virtual patch module firmware to the public and it includes a simulator, I didn’t try running anything on it yet but it could be something for plugin devs here.

3 Likes

my MM has been shipped, so hope to get it next week.

I then do plan to do some development on it. Ive developed for vcv before, but those modules aren’t going to work on MM, so i’ll be doing something new.

anyways, before I start that… I may be able to lend a hand if you’d like - perhaps take a simple module of yours and port, it’ll give me a feel too for the limitations etc.

I took a quick look at your modules, yeah, some are not really going to work at this point, as there is no direct draw function (at this time) . what I would suggest, is start simple, and port one at a time with those that can work (easily).

its already ‘common’ that not all plugins from a dev are ported, so MM users are aware of the limitations.

tl;dr; I could help test, but as a dev, I can also try to resolve issues ‘on the fly’ and build - which might help the dev->debug-> dev cycle.

but yeah, next week, once UPS actually deliver. (its scheduled for this Friday, but I highly doubt it :laughing: )

thanks for the post @janne808 , thats awesome its not just a simulator but actually full firmware too - Ive been waiting for this !

1 Like

I’ve never used your modules, though I will if you are able to make the port, as they look great. I am happy to test them for you, but that may not extend to advanced usage, given my unfamiliarity with them.

1 Like

Will the 4ms modules also be available to non Meta Module owners? I do not own one and it doesn’t show up in the library. Or do you have to download and install from github?

1 Like

That is the intention, I believe.

1 Like
1 Like

all information needed is here:

https://metamodule.info/downloads

3 Likes

oooooh… Im excited… amazingly, my MM has been delivered, just got to go pick it up !

I now have to decide which rack to put it in… does it go in my main rack ?, or should I put it into one of my development racks? ( * )

my current thinking is put in dev rack alongside the percussa xmx, the eagan matrix module… quite a powerhouse. though I need to double check power requirements, they are all pretty hungry.

if I put it in with the xmx, a comparison video will be a bit easier.

exciting possibilities, and thankfully the weather is cooling of here a bit in Spain. which means the coding season is nearly here :wink:

( * ) year ago, I backed a KS for has some really cheap aluminium 84hp racks. they’ve turned out to be so useful !

2 Likes

Glad to hear you finally got it! You will at least benefit from the latest firmware when you run it for the first time and an online manual that now has much more content than when it was released.

Mine is currently in a pod with an output module and sequencer so I can use it standalone, with my 7U or my main rack. I’ve had little time this week but hoping to have more this weekend.

This demo/review hasn’t been shared yet. Joey is one of my favourite YTers. Although the music he makes is not my style, he really pushes modules to see what will come out of them, with an infectious dose of enthusiasm thrown in.

1 Like

the near instantaneous preset switching was the main thing I took away.

yes he really does. it is called distortion :grin:

jokes aside I enjoy his content as well :sunglasses:

1 Like

I’ve never heard anybody else mistreat ‘pretty sounding’ modules like the EnOSC and Elements to such an extent :slight_smile:

I wonder what the neighbours think.

2 Likes

Love Joey! As a bonus he has ROBUST live experience (live synths for Front Line Assembly?!)

This is a great showcase of the MM.

Dan has posted this on the 4ms Meta Module forum. Very useful information on the performance of modules on the module itself.

5 Likes

4ms modules are now in the VCV library.

16 Likes

It’s very nice these are available! :pray:

Currently, when installing from the VCV library, the Linux version fails with: “4msCompany/plugin.so: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.31’ not found” when trying to load and install the downloaded .vcvplugin file. All other Linux plugin updates install successfully.

When building this manually from Github (just built the same 2.0.7 version), it works fine. It seems the system that is being used for building the VCV library version needs some tweaks regarding the glibc configuration? (The machine I checked this on is a Debian 12 Bookworm based system with a glibc makeup that is still more recent than the VCV user requirements; thus all VCV plugin releases generally work in this regard.)

1 Like

Quite a day! Congrats to all who helped make this happen.

2 Likes